iPhones on eBay

cpadave

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone looked for first generation iPhones on eBay? The prices are astounding... Are people really still wanting the old ones with the new ones coming so soon?

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Keep in mind you will have to sign a contract to get a new iphone so doubtful there will be a lot of purchasing, jailbreaking, unlocking and reselling as the original buyer is still contractually obligated to pay for the service with AT&T (here in the states, anyway) regardless of whether or not they still own the phone. I assume you could still pay the ETF and exit the contract but that would be a painful and expensive way of creating a secondary market for the new iphones. I would also bet that there is a secret limit (say 5 or 10) that normal buyer/users would never hit so if they see someone buy 10 phones and exit the contracts within a six month window they will probably just shut them down from future iphone purchases thereby locking up the secondary market cold.

As a result, jailbreakable 1st gen iphones that come contract-free are a much more attractive alternative. Particularly since you can install the 2.0 firmware, jailbreak and use with any carrier and get all the new features / functions.

Ahambone

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
Yeah; it's pretty funny that with the announcement of the 3g iPhone, the old-school iPhone has all of a sudden become a lot more valuable- you'd think it'd be the other way around.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
i was considering buying one online. but i couldn't bring myself to do it. just the thought of buying something for say 300 dollars when i could get one newer, faster, cooler, and has gps for the same price.

but i guess if you didn't care about any of that stuff then.. your good.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Price hike is due to T-Mobile users more than likely. No other way for them to get a iPhone since the 3g is locked down pretty good and all the features useless to them.

patput

Jun 25, 2008
www.mwpbooks.com
You wouldn't get one for $300. Sold my sister's LOCKED for $475 and I probably could have done better. That was a Buy it Now. People want iphones and this may be the only way they can get them.

i was considering buying one online. but i couldn't bring myself to do it. just the thought of buying something for say 300 dollars when i could get one newer, faster, cooler, and has gps for the same price.

but i guess if you didn't care about any of that stuff then.. your good.

HawaiiMacAddict

Jun 27, 2008
home.hawaii.rr.com
Aloha everyone,

I am wondering what effect the launch of the 3G iPhone will have on the value for the 1st gen iPhones on places like eBay and Craig's List. Right now, their value is holding up extremely well, but after the 3G iPhones hit the market, that may change. I was wondering what to do with my 1st gen when I purchase my 3G iPhone - I may just end up selling it to one of my coworkers for less, although the eBay prices are very good right about now :D

HawaiiMacAddict

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Aloha everyone,

I am wondering what effect the launch of the 3G iPhone will have on the value for the 1st gen iPhones on places like eBay and Craig's List. Right now, their value is holding up extremely well, but after the 3G iPhones hit the market, that may change. I was wondering what to do with my 1st gen when I purchase my 3G iPhone - I may just end up selling it to one of my coworkers for less, although the eBay prices are very good right about now :D

HawaiiMacAddict

Holding up is a understatement. It will probably remain the same after the 3g is released. MOST people buying the current phone off of Ebay are T-Mobile folks. They really have no use for the 3g on their network. And since you can't buy the 1st gen phone anymore from and store, prices will stay high for a while.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing about how the value of the previous iPhone will hold up on eBay. I recently bought mine off of eBay for $360 still under warranty. And thank God I did! I recently wrote a post about receiving my phone off of eBay in really bad shape. So what I ended up doing was going to the Apple store. They took a look at and just replaced it with a new one because it was under warranty.

That's the best advice I can give anyone who is going to purchase the previous iPhone off of eBay. Contact the seller prior to bidding or buying and ask if it's under warranty still. Because if you receive the phone in worse condition than the auction stated, you can get it replaced at an Apple store.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I think the reason why that person on the iPhone World forum is selling his iPhone cheaper than those on eBay is so he can get a definite buyer. He's selling his cheaper than those on eBay. How is he selling his on the forum? Is it secure buying one through a forum? Seems more dangerous than eBay because theres no buyer protection backing you up if he sells you a messed up phone.

coachpete

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
First Generation prices

I believe you will see the prices for the first generation Iphone plummet soon after the release date of the 3G Iphone. I myself will be buying a first generation off EBay and a new 3G as well. I like to have backups and I have four kids that want Iphones and the first generation prices might be more suitable than buying 5 new 3G iphones.

Nick9283

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
Yah some things about the iphone 3g just dont cut it for them. they figure a good old unlock and they will be fine. that and they dont want to have to pay a whole lot extra monthly

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll