Official MMS Thread - Or lack there of...

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
As long as you are paying for SMS messaging you will have MMS. If all of this turns out to be true. I use SMS a lot and need the unlimited mesaging. That includes all SMS and MMS, etc... What is nice for people who don't pay for that is you can simply continue to use email to send pics. Not a bad deal.

Ooohhhh... you are right. Just checked AT&T and you pay for messaging (does not matter if it is SMS or MMS). I am currently on an old Verizon plan and SMS charges differently than MMS. You could have an SMS plan with no MMS or an MMS plan with no SMS. (Of course you could have both plans too!) I just have the SMS one so I pay .25 extra to send and receive MMS.

Okay. I'm back to not being okay with the lack of MMS :rolleyes:

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
That would be a great feature to have on the new iPhone! I hope it's true. There has been so many times when I wanted to show someone a picture a took but couldn't because theres no MMS. I'm really surprised Apple hasn't put those features on the iPhone. Add some video to the iPhone and I'm sold for life!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
That would be a great feature to have on the new iPhone! I hope it's true. There has been so many times when I wanted to show someone a picture a took but couldn't because theres no MMS. I'm really surprised Apple hasn't put those features on the iPhone. Add some video to the iPhone and I'm sold for life!

For future reference you can always email a photo to anyone's phone as well.

All it takes is a little help from your friends by getting their service provider. Then simply add a second email address in their contact info using the below:

Alltel = xxxxxxxxxx@message.alltel.com
AT&T = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net
Boost Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@myboostmobile.com
Cingular (AT&T) = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.mycingular.com
Einstein PCS = xxxxxxxxxx@einsteinmms.com
Sprint = xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net
US Cellular = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.uscc.net
Verizon Wireless = xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com
Virgin Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@vmobl.com

If they want to send you a pic just simply make sure they send them to your email you have set up on your phone. Simple.

wakingbadger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
MMS would be a great addition. Either that or fix the absolutely horrid manner of delivering MMS to someone without the capability. That AT&T site with the one time username/password is absolutely pathetic and pretty much unusable.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
No floppy on the iMac?! No Optical on the Air?!

It's almost like Apple had a historical legacy of being one of the first to ditch technologies...

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
No floppy on the iMac?! No Optical on the Air?!

It's almost like Apple had a historical legacy of being one of the first to ditch technologies...

That's all hardware technology.
MMS could be purely enabled by a firmware update. Let the people who want it have it. Those who don't want MMS, wouldn't be affected by it unlike a floppy or optical drive in a computer.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
For future reference you can always email a photo to anyone's phone as well.

All it takes is a little help from your friends by getting their service provider. Then simply add a second email address in their contact info using the below:

Alltel = xxxxxxxxxx@message.alltel.com
AT&T = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net
Boost Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@myboostmobile.com
Cingular (AT&T) = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.mycingular.com
Einstein PCS = xxxxxxxxxx@einsteinmms.com
Sprint = xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net
US Cellular = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.uscc.net
Verizon Wireless = xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com
Virgin Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@vmobl.com

If they want to send you a pic just simply make sure they send them to your email you have set up on your phone. Simple.

Really? I didn't know you could do that. Thanks Bad Ash.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Really? I didn't know you could do that. Thanks Bad Ash.

All there is to it. The biggest pain is getting all of your friends who send you pictures from phones to send them to your email and not your phone number. But once they get the hang of it... bam... picture mail... ;)

GreenLightJerky

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
All there is to it. The biggest pain is getting all of your friends who send you pictures from phones to send them to your email and not your phone number. But once they get the hang of it... bam... picture mail... ;)

Thats some good shizz right there.
Thank you. I had the AT&T mail but the others were MIA.
I have added them as a new contact so ill always have the suffix with me.

Flavor #18 Jamaican Jerk Style
Hey mon, its delicious. Just add a cold beer and some reggae music and you'll feel like you are in Montego Bay. Its got traditional jerk flavors with, Jamaican allspice, thyme and fresh habaneros.
www.greenlightjerky.com

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Thats some good shizz right there.
Thank you. I had the AT&T mail but the others were MIA.
I have added them as a new contact so ill always have the suffix with me.

Flavor #18 Jamaican Jerk Style
Hey mon, its delicious. Just add a cold beer and some reggae music and you'll feel like you are in Montego Bay. Its got traditional jerk flavors with, Jamaican allspice, thyme and fresh habaneros.
GREEN LIGHT JERKY COMPANY

Or what you can do is just add another email for contacts with their number@pm.sprint.com and name it "picture mail". That's the way my contacts are set up.

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Why go through all that all Apple has to do is add mms and everything would easier...

Because people have been trying to get Apple to add MMS support for the past year. They'll add it when they want to. These suggestions are workarounds until Apple gives in and adds it.

I could easily see how they could add MMS support to the existing texting layout with small thumbnails of the images etc etc. But once again, Apple might surprise us, or maybe they'll make us wait longer still. My money is on the latter.

marys

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
when so many phones already have the MMS option, to not include it in the new iPhone would be a stupid move from Apple. I'm still hoping for a surprise for next week :)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
At this point it is looking pretty grim. I'm guessing since At&t has come out with their plans for the iPhone and there is no mention of MMS... very doubtful. Just my opinion though. On the flip side I'm so used to using email to send and receive pictures that it really doesn't bother me. One of the positives while sending via email it does not downsize the picture like MMS would. Once you get past the shock of having to use email it's really not that bad...

GreenLightJerky

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
At this point it is looking pretty grim. I'm guessing since At&t has come out with their plans for the iPhone and there is no mention of MMS... very doubtful. Just my opinion though. On the flip side I'm so used to using email to send and receive pictures that it really doesn't bother me. One of the positives while sending via email it does not downsize the picture like MMS would. Once you get past the shock of having to use email it's really not that bad...

I have to agree with you.
The challenge is getting your other party to use email instead which may not be an option.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have to agree with you.
The challenge is getting your other party to use email instead which may not be an option.

Keep in mind the other party can send mms messages from their phone to your email address. They do not have to use email on their phone. Just to clarify for people who may not know that.

sterling

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
As cool as MMS would be, why would an "internal memo" from AT&T have a SS w/ a t-mobile operator logo in the top left corner?

Or is that just boygenius.com's photoshopped image?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2