Official MMS Thread - Or lack there of...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I hope this turns out to be true.

Internal AT&T Memo Indicates Groundbreaking iPhone 3G Feature: MMS : Boy Genius Report

"Check this out. New reports are coming in that a very interesting memo is currently circulating internally at AT&T. Said memo reportedly lists a variety of features that will supposedly be included on the upcoming iPhone 3G. Among them is an exciting new service that - get this - allows you to send SMS-like messages that include multimedia attachments. Imagine! The service, cleverly named Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) supposedly allows users to attach one or more image, audio file or even video and deliver the message along with text. The recipient of the message will then see and / or hear the multimedia on his or her mobile. Nutty. None of this is confirmed as of yet, but how sweet would it be if a mobile phone had functionality like this?! Oh Apple, you?ve done it again! Next thing you know we?ll find out that Apple has figured out a way to copy text from one place and paste it to another. Ok, that?s just crazy talk.?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm actually excited about this... don't know why since I've been using email to send pictures for the longest time with windows mobile devices on Sprint... this would be slick if it is true...

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Apple would have announced it at WWDC if it officially supported MMS. I think we'll see a few third party developers try to enable MMS support.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Apple would have announced it at WWDC if it officially supported MMS. I think we'll see a few third party developers try to enable MMS support.

Don't be too sure about that... I'm sure they have some stuff up their sleeves to be tossed in sooner than later. Also could have been something with at&t...

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Don't be too sure about that... I'm sure they have some stuff up their sleeves to be tossed in sooner than later. Also could have been something with at&t...

That's true. But if they were to come out with MMS it would probably come out in a software update later on by Apple. Assuming that AT&T accounts MMS messages the same as SMS. I'm not sure because I've never had AT&T.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
i doubt they will bill MMS and SMS the same...

was listening to a Mac Break Weekly podcast where they did the math. i tried to reproduce such math and found that SMS is billed to equivilent of $320 / MB since its $0.05 / 160 bytes.

hows that for a data cost?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
That's true. But if they were to come out with MMS it would probably come out in a software update later on by Apple. Assuming that AT&T accounts MMS messages the same as SMS. I'm not sure because I've never had AT&T.

They are included when you select unlimited messaging... that includes all sms and mms. Keep in mind this is assuming your phone does mms, which the iphone never did. But it clearly states that it includes both.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
They are included when you select unlimited messaging... that includes all sms and mms. Keep in mind this is assuming your phone does mms, which the iphone never did. But it clearly states that it includes both.

MMS support is purely software though. Something Apple could easily fix if they wanted.

patput

Jun 25, 2008
www.mwpbooks.com
What about the recipient of an MMS, is there another charge to him/her?
And how do you know if someone is capable of receiving an MMS?
Do you stll have to pay for data that's bounced back possibly?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
What about the recipient of an MMS, is there another charge to him/her?
And how do you know if someone is capable of receiving an MMS?
Do you stll have to pay for data that's bounced back possibly?

I'm assuming it works just like any other phone with mms. That is just my guess. I mean at&t have basically made the iPhone just like any other pda it has now with the deletion of the special iPhone plan.

gadgetluva

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
I like Apple and everything, but the mentality of a company telling us what we want/need is ridiculous. Not everyone cares about MMS, but for a "leading" phone, it should have the features of "lesser" phones.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
At first I was horrified by the idea of the iPhone not having MMS... however, the idea has grown on me more and more. I have a few friends who will take a pic of anything under the sun and send it to me at a whim. MMS is another expense and since I will be paying $30 for media already, I like that I can just use Safari to hop online and view it there rather than pay another monthly charge.
Don't get me wrong, I was bowled over when I learned the iPhone didn't have MMS... but now after the shock has worn off my wallet is starting to be more okay with it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
At first I was horrified by the idea of the iPhone not having MMS... however, the idea has grown on me more and more. I have a few friends who will take a pic of anything under the sun and send it to me at a whim. MMS is another expense and since I will be paying $30 for media already, I like that I can just use Safari to hop online and view it there rather than pay another monthly charge.
Don't get me wrong, I was bowled over when I learned the iPhone didn't have MMS... but now after the shock has worn off my wallet is starting to be more okay with it.

As long as you are paying for SMS messaging you will have MMS. If all of this turns out to be true. I use SMS a lot and need the unlimited mesaging. That includes all SMS and MMS, etc... What is nice for people who don't pay for that is you can simply continue to use email to send pics. Not a bad deal.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal