Who's paying the ETF to get a 3G?

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Well I find myself with another year on my contract when July 11th rolls around. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the ETF so I can buy the 3G.

Anyone else willing to pay to play? :rolleyes:

Hermdog

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
It depends where your from. Im not sure what the pricing is going to be if your from USA or is your from another country. i hope they dont charge too much for it if you dont have an upgrade coming.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I'm already an At&t customer, so I shouldn't have to. Assuming the pricing confusion gets cleared up that is.

I did, however, pay an Alltel ETF to get the first iPhone, so I know the feeling.

WatersWest

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I know the iPhone is a great product and all, but I cannot imagine EVER paying the ETF just to jump ship from another carrier in order to buy an iPhone. To me, that is definitely NOT worth it. Call me cheap or whatever, but to pay and extra $100-$175 just to buy this product? Why? Always remember the mantra ... good things come to those who wait. If you have 1 year left on a contract with another carrier, then why not wait for the 3rd gen iPhone ... by then it will probably be a truly revolutionary product!!

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I know the iPhone is a great product and all, but I cannot imagine EVER paying the ETF just to jump ship from another carrier in order to buy an iPhone. To me, that is definitely NOT worth it. Call me cheap or whatever, but to pay and extra $100-$175 just to buy this product? Why? Always remember the mantra ... good things come to those who wait. If you have 1 year left on a contract with another carrier, then why not wait for the 3rd gen iPhone ... by then it will probably be a truly revolutionary product!!

That's all find in dandy except when you have to take out the battery from your phone to reboot it after every other call because it doesn't hang up. In fact I think the phone is confused when it sees the phrase hanging up it takes it literally and it freezes. :D I know I know I could get another Phone from the same carrier. But I waited on the first iPhone because it had no exchange mail functionality and that has been taken care. Plus I officially have what my doctor calls "iPhone fever". I don't know if it's just me but I can't get enough news items off the web. I'm constantly checking this web site and others for tidbits. HELP!!!!! :eek:

Hello my name is hermdog, and I'm a iPhoneholic. :D

Ahambone

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
That's all find in dandy except when you have to take out the battery from your phone to reboot it after every other call because it doesn't hang up. In fact I think the phone is confused when it sees the phrase hanging up it takes it literally and it freezes. :D I know I know I could get another Phone from the same carrier. But I waited on the first iPhone because it had no exchange mail functionality and that has been taken care. Plus I officially have what my doctor calls "iPhone fever". I don't know if it's just me but I can't get enough news items off the web. I'm constantly checking this web site and others for tidbits. HELP!!!!! :eek:

Hello my name is hermdog, and I'm a iPhoneholic. :D

While I too can't imagining paying the ETF just to get an iPhone, I guess when you're addicted, you're addicted. If you've got the cash to burn, then don't look back.

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm not. I have no plans to upgrade my current iPhone to the iPhone 3G.

Same here. One year left on my original iphone contract, will just wait for the real next-generation iPhone to come out next summer. Until then the 2.0 firmware will keep me going just fine.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Same here. One year left on my original iphone contract, will just wait for the real next-generation iPhone to come out next summer. Until then the 2.0 firmware will keep me going just fine.
Yup, 2.0 will hold me over for the next year. Wow, until you said it, I never realized I still have a year left. It is shocking on two accounts: 1) it's been a year since I got my great iPhone and 2) I still have a year to go, what a long time. Oh well. I will just have to entertain myself with the App Store.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
well - I thought I was going to be hosed by ATT, but it looks like they're going to cut us non-iPhone current ATT subscribers with over a year left on current 2 year contracts a break and let us get the 3G at the $199/$299 pricing. In response to my question to customer service, I got the following:

"Thank you for taking the time to e-mail the new AT&T regarding the
ability to upgrade to the new 3G iPhone when it becomes available. I
apologize for the inconvenience and I'm happy to address your concerns.

After reading your e-mail, I have reviewed your account and found that
as long as the account is in good standing (no past due amount, etc.)
when the iPhone becomes available you will be automatically eligible to
upgrade at either the $199 (8GB) or $299 (16GB) with a two year
contract. In other words; you will be eligible for a standard upgrade.

Mr. xxxxxx, at the new AT&T we understand the significance of the
relationships we develop with our customers. You have been a loyal
customer and you are critical to our future growth and success."

blah, blah, blah.

Anyway - I'm happy, hope it isn't old news and yes, anyone in my boat (non-iPhone on current AT&T contract and with over a year left on original 2 year agreement) looks like there will be no serious hosing. Just $240 more for the data plan over 2 years along with messaging services, etc. Fortunately, I get a cell phone allowance so I could care less how much AT&T gets on the back end. I'm not paying for it :D

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I hope that's the case. There has been conflicting statements from AT&T. They have confirmed the $199 price for any/all current iPhone subscribers as well as new activations, and qualified upgrades. But they did say the price was yet to be determined if you were not eligible under standard upgrade rules (which they say will apply.)

However, one by one they have been telling people like you that as long as you're in good standing, you'll get the iPhone for the standard $199 no matter where you are in the contract. It doesn't sound far fetched since they're making you re-up your contract regardless of what you pay for the phone.

I'm in the same situation, I'm about 7 months in to my 2 year contract. I will pay $150 to $200 more for the iPhone if I have to (full retail price,) if in fact that's what the price would be. And that's no different than paying an EFT.
Otherwise, I'd have to:
A) Add a new line to my family account.
B) Cancel my current line, and port the number to the new line.
C) I got the iPhone for $199+$35 activation+$175 EFT.
But it would be totally retarted if AT&T made me jump through that hoop when they could just sell me the iPhone for $200 more.

I typically upgrade my phone about once a year, so every other year I pay "full" no-commitment retail price for my phone, and the other years get the upgrade discount. Getting this iPhone would be no different for me.

But I would rather get it for $199/$299.

Last edited:

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Based on the email they sent me, as long as your account is in good standing, then they will let you get a new iPhone at the subsidized pricing ($199/$299) and you'll have to sign a new 24 month contract to get it. It will replace/supercede the existing contract; that's not a big deal to me. As above, I get a cell phone allowance currently, so I don't care about the data pricing. Paying $35 per month currently for my Blackberry plan (well, my company is actually) so $30 plus texting is no biggie. If you can live with a new contract, then the new 3G iPhone will be yours.:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox