How come the ipod and iphone are not the same HW base?

dperry56

Jun 11, 2008
www.inspiredproducts.com
I was VERY surprised the iphone 3G did not have 32GB? The ipod has 32GB, so why not the iphone 3G? This seemed to be a big disappointment to several reviewers and a needless limitation. The price structure of $199/8GB, $299/16GB and $399/GB seems to be an easy product portfolio. The ipod has 32GB and the drives are available and cig coming down in price, so I view this as a big screw up on Apples part. Do others agree?

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
In a word... No.

The Touch has more room inside for memory chips, the iPhone doesn't. There is no way they could have consolidated the two memory chips of the Touch into one for the iPhone and still kept it at a reasonable price.

That's my guess anyway.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
In a word... No.

The Touch has more room inside for memory chips, the iPhone doesn't. There is no way they could have consolidated the two memory chips of the Touch into one for the iPhone and still kept it at a reasonable price.

That's my guess anyway.
I agree with you. The physical limitations doesn't allow Apple to include 32GB. The next refresh might do something to fix that.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Wait until Oct. or Nov. then you will see a 32 gb iPhone. Or maybe they wait until just after the holiday season. Either way they have got to do something to screw over this gens early adopters. ;)

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Remember that the ipod touch has two memory slots and the iphone has one (due to physical size limitations relating to the size of radios, etc.)

As the "sweet spot" in memory devices of that dimension is 16GB, iphone has one, ipod touch has two.

As memory prices decline, you will see iphone switch to a single 32GB dimm and the touch switch to 32GB dimms.