Safari unstable

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Does anyone else have problems with safari crashing alot? It seems to happen daily for me and is really starting to get on my nerves. I mean I hate to say it but ie for wm was more stable although it looked alot worse.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Do a reset. Hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake switch at the same time. When the "Slide to turn off message" pops up, KEEP HOLDING them. Once you see the Apple logo, it is safe to let go. Power it back on and see how it goes.

This thing is a computer, and like any computer, PC or Mac, it will require the occasional restart. Just turning it off is not the same as the method outlined above. This method is the way you do a "battery pull" on an iPhone.

isitnyu

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
have you jailbroken your iphone lately? it can certainly be the reason, i prefer not to jailbreak, especially when the app store is oout now.

Nick9283

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
yah the one in our store crashes a lot. althought this could be to thousands of people playing with it or the mass of photos on it. i have seen buggy safari and crashing during a demo. "look this is how you(crash)" "whoops nevermind"

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I had this problem a little over a month ago? It was VERY annoying. A reset seemed to do the trick for me, hopefully you won't have to restore. Or if anything, tally it up as another excuse to buy the iPhone 3G.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I had this problem a little over a month ago? It was VERY annoying. A reset seemed to do the trick for me, hopefully you won't have to restore. Or if anything, tally it up as another excuse to buy the iPhone 3G.

Oh I can do all the tallying I want but thats not going to convince my wife. Ya I know sounds like I'm whipped but when you have a pregnant / extremely hormonal woman on your case about spending $400 or $500 on "just a phone" theres not alot you can do but just nod and say yes dear. Maybe I'll see if I can slip an iphone onto the baby shower registry I'm sure that will go over real well:D

IndyJonez

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Oh I can do all the tallying I want but thats not going to convince my wife. Ya I know sounds like I'm whipped but when you have a pregnant / extremely hormonal woman on your case about spending $400 or $500 on "just a phone" theres not alot you can do but just nod and say yes dear. Maybe I'll see if I can slip an iphone onto the baby shower registry I'm sure that will go over real well:D

I know exactly how ya feel bud, my wife alone can't make sense of spending 4to 500 bucks on a phone ( i know she just doesn't understand but she will!) plus 2 more contracts on our tmo account that don't end until late december so throw another 400 bucks on top of that for etf's if i decided to go that route, so hell no, I won't be getting one until prolly macworld 09.

That is unless I win one here, then I think the convincing would be a little easier.;)

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone else have problems with safari crashing alot? It seems to happen daily for me and is really starting to get on my nerves. I mean I hate to say it but ie for wm was more stable although it looked alot worse.
This use to happen a lot to me before iPhone software 1.1.3 came out. Now it doesn't happen a lot. Actually, I haven't seen this at all in 1.1.4. I would try a hard reset and see what happens. iPhone software 2.0 should make everything way more stable, so just hang on a little bit more.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I know exactly how ya feel bud, my wife alone can't make sense of spending 4to 500 bucks on a phone ( i know she just doesn't understand but she will!) plus 2 more contracts on our tmo account that don't end until late december so throw another 400 bucks on top of that for etf's if i decided to go that route, so hell no, I won't be getting one until prolly macworld 09.

That is unless I win one here, then I think the convincing would be a little easier.;)
I weighed the options of spending $500 on the iPhone and this is what I came up with:

1. Sold my iPod nano for $130 - new iPhone cost $370
2. Sold my Moto Razr for $50 - new iPhone cost $320
3. $100 gift card to Apple store - new iPhone cost $220

In the end, $220 was more than reasonable.

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
This is a very unnerving thread to read. Not owning an iPhone right now, but wanting one really bad, I was not expecting to hear about the common "Microsoft" problems showing up on an Apple phone. I thought that was Apple's forte, stable operating systems/programs. I used to have a WM handheld, before WM phones, and had to soft reset that all the time, I do not want another product where that is needed.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I never have to reset mine, and I doubt anyone who says that resetting it helps anything (other than an actual lock-up). Safari crashes now and again, but resetting the phone doesn't make it stop.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I weighed the options of spending $500 on the iPhone and this is what I came up with:

1. Sold my iPod nano for $130 - new iPhone cost $370
2. Sold my Moto Razr for $50 - new iPhone cost $320
3. $100 gift card to Apple store - new iPhone cost $220

In the end, $220 was more than reasonable.

If I didnt have bills to pay I would have gotten the money the same way I did before. I live about 5 miles away from Microsoft and signed up for their usability studies and when you go test out new software/games they give you a list of software that you can choose from as a form of payment. I then sell it to a guy on craigslist and buy an iPhone. I just did two last month and made over $620 but that was pretty close to our CC bill last month so that went to that instead. If anyone here is in the seattle area I highly recommend it its pretty fun but at the same time kinda hard because you have to sign an nda and believe me its hard not to talk about some of the cool stuff that MS is coming out with. I know most in here are probably mac fanboys but still MS comes up with some pretty cool stuff too just look at the surface.

Last edited:

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I never have to reset mine, and I doubt anyone who says that resetting it helps anything (other than an actual lock-up). Safari crashes now and again, but resetting the phone doesn't make it stop.

Your right doesnt help one bit. Its definetly more stable than when I first got it before any of the updated firmware came out but it still crashes daily. Now I probably use it more than most people do so if your just a casual web browser I guess you might not notice it as much as I do.

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Ah, those resets must be a digital placebo effect. Certainly calmed my fears.

@ burnsaa, that's a sweet gig! I try to be fair to my Xbox 360, but Apple still wins out, for me.

@NPR_aficionado, it's a case by case thing. Have no worry, the iPhone works wondrously easy and is very, very stable. You'll thank yourself for buying one

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I read an article about how the iPhone runs more like a computer (you have your processor and you have your Mac OS X) so it should be hard reset whenever you notice a slow down. I usually experience a choppy look when I flip between pages on my home screen. A hard reset fixes this for a while.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I read an article about how the iPhone runs more like a computer (you have your processor and you have your Mac OS X) so it should be hard reset whenever you notice a slow down. I usually experience a choppy look when I flip between pages on my home screen. A hard reset fixes this for a while.

yep, i've seen people say this too (and not every slowdown requires it; power off/on usually takes care of it). But safari crashes are a compeletely different problem, entirely.

Think of it this way: just because you take aspirin to fight a fever doesn't mean you also need to take aspirin for a scraped knee; not every problem demands the same solution.

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Yes, Safari sometimes crashes, and I expect those to decrease with each new software update. However, I still loved my first-generation iPhone, I probably won't be able to sleep tonight thinking about the WWDC keynote, and I'll order the new iPhone as soon as it's put up on the Apple Store. In short, no phone is perfect, and Safari crashing a few times doesn't mean it's not the world's best phone.