What innovative hardware would you add to the iphone?
What would knock your socks off when Jobs pulls the new iphone out of his pocket next week? solar cells? infrared? retina scanner? RFID reader? EZ-Pass transponder?
I would vote for solar cells but having a built-in EZ-Pass transponder would also be very slick.
- 06-05-2008, 10:23 AM #2
- 06-05-2008, 11:26 AM #3
- 06-05-2008, 11:28 AM #4iPhone Intermediate
- 167 Posts
I'd love to see: a projector(which is completely unfounded and unrealistic), a better camera capable of video and auto-settings(which is more software dependent), a "notifier" light, the assumed features(battery upgrade, GPS, 3G, better storage), video-conferencing, and better pixel-density.
- 06-05-2008, 11:32 AM #5
Things that won't happen, but which would be cool:
1) biometrics. could integrate with keychain access and thus eliminate the need to constantly have to enter passwords with the on-screen keyboard (a particular pain in the arse given that good passwords mix letters, numbers, and punctuation, and the built-in keyboard error corrector can't correct them for you).
2) camera integrated into the lcd, so that teleconferencing not only works, but you don't appear to be looking in the wrong direction. Apple has a patent application on this tech., and with cmos sensors it should be doable someday.
3) solar? maybe some day, but I doubt it would provide enough battery boost to be helpful.
4) SD (or similar) slot. Won't happen, but it sure would be nice.
5) replace the front button with a button that can also act as a rocker. in combination with the accelerometer and camera, would make iphone one of the best portable game platforms out there. Would also facilitate one-handed operation of productivity apps, and wouldn't detract from the aesthetic if done properly (that is, it can't jut out).
There won't be an EZ-pass transponder. Too many incompatible variations nation- (and world-) wide, and in fact, most people don't have any use for such a thing. However, building an ISO-compliant contactless card interface in would enable all sorts of fun things.
- 06-05-2008, 01:10 PM #7
- 06-05-2008, 01:15 PM #8
- 06-05-2008, 01:17 PM #9
- 06-05-2008, 01:17 PM #10
- 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM #11
- 06-05-2008, 01:21 PM #12
What are you supposed to do, velcro it to your windshield?
And what happens if two people in the car have iphones?
There's no advantage to this, either; it's like asking that the iPhone also double as a stickshift; the car already has one, and there's no reason for it to ever leave the car. it's not like you're going to need a "highway toll transponder" as you are walking around in your daily life.
- 06-05-2008, 01:31 PM #13
- 06-05-2008, 03:11 PM #14
- 06-05-2008, 03:34 PM #15
they won't have a rotating camera. They may have two cameras, however. Rotation adds complexity, moving parts which can break, and ruins the look of the thing. Two cameras allows them to have a cheap, low-res camera forward-facing for video chats, and a nicer camera out the back.
- 06-05-2008, 03:42 PM #16
Actually now that I think of it that could be a kind of funny web app have the flux capacitor pulsating then the dial to set the year. The only problem would be you would have to use it in a car so as to reach 80 mph.
- 06-05-2008, 05:15 PM #18
1 thing i have been really hoping that the Iphone will include, aside from the expected 3G, GPS, and all those fun things is a up to date camera. Samsung has made developments in producing a 8 mega pixel camera for cell phones and i cant think of any reason that the Iphone shouldnt have at least a 3 mega pixel camera if not a 5. I think this would be a great thing for them to put in the phone and make a lot of people happy, i knwo it would make me happy.
- 06-05-2008, 05:21 PM #19