Using iPhone as a wallet?

anon(4661222)

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I've heard some smart phones can be used as "wallet phones" as a way to pay in South Korea and Japan, but of all the rumours I've heard about the next iPhone, I haven't heard of this possibility.

Is there any reason why it couldn't be added to the next iPhone, or even the current one?

As long as the iPhone is converging multiple devices, why not one more with the wallet?

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I've heard of "wallet" programs for smartphones that allow you to securely store bank info, credit card info, passwords, etc. I can imagine we will eventually see these wallet type programs rolled out for the iPhone. The thing you are talking about is something I have never heard of before though. I don't think it is a matter of Apple not being able to implement it, but more a question of why should they. I can't see that taking off as any form of payment for anything due to security risks, but who knows...

IndyJonez

May 31, 2008
Visit site
There were a couple articles recently on snapping photos of your club cards (costco, blockbuster, etc...) that's a pretty cool feature if you ask me. I could empty out most of my wallet and have all my cards right there on the phone to show and confirm...if accepted that way, some businesses may not trust this.

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Sounds cool, but the United States is many years behind when it comes to payment types like this. I've read that even the magnetic strip credit cards that we use here are extremely outdated compared to other countries. I like the idea of paying with a cell phone, but there are so many potential problems with this that I think it's still years away in the US.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
This would be great. But I think even if I had this option, I will still have to carry my wallet around (e.g. I need my drivers license, spare cash, etc.). I don't think the iPhone will become the do-all device. One day maybe, but I don't think anytime soon.

isitnyu

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
yeah i remember a video on youtube or something about having your credit cards and tickets stored onto your iphone and can be swiped as the actual card or ticket when scanned.

Ahambone

Jun 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm ready to replace my wallet with one device just yet. I honestly am still iffy on keeping personal info stored on web servers ala Amazon, much less an Iphone.

anon(4661222)

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The iPhone could also be used to replace some keys, maybe business cards that that can be beamed to another person's contact list.

camera
maps
money
keys
business cards
what else?

redsoxfan950

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
You can do this now. just take your credit card scan it and put it on to your iPhone. Then when a store has a cool credit card thing that you just scans it will work.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner