SDK questions

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Ok bear with me as I dont really know anything about the sdk and my iphone is not jailbroken.
My question is this, will it ever be possible for developers to use the sdk to write a program and then put it out there for people who have jailbroken phones instead of using the app store? The reason I ask is because if you make your program the way apple wants you to your program cannot run in the background really making some programs almost useless such as an instant messenger program.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
It is not true that an official-SDK program cannot run in the background. It is only true that the Human Interface Guidelines forbid it; the SDK actually permits it, and those of us who have tried it have found that it seems to work (at least it works for now, and in the simulator).

Presumably Apple will allow us to sell such programs so long as there is good reason to run in the background (instant messaging, etc) and as long as it doesn't interfere with the overall operations of the phone.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I sure hope they allow it because there are certain programs that need it and apple would be stupid to not allow it for some things.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Bluetooth ?

Have you noticed if they give you access to the bluetooth capabilities? Because I'm really looking forward to a gps type app and seeing as how I and alot of other people have bluetooth gps recievers it would be nice not to have to buy something else.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
There appears to be no bluetooth access at this point unless its hidden in the network API (i don't think so).

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I can't be sure but if I were to check for something like this, I might be inclined to go to someplace like:

/Developer/Platforms/Aspen.platform/Developer/SDKs/Aspen1.2.sdk/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

But who knows.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh