Treo to iPhone

scouter075

Jan 22, 2004
Visit site
I've been a Palm user for years but am now considering a switch to the iPhone.
Aside from the calendar, the applications I use most are:
-TravelTracker (tracks details of plane, car and hotel reservations and transfers them to my calendar
-Autoslate (tracker start/stop mileage for trips and also car fuel and maintenance details
-SplashID (paswword tracker)
-Documents to Go (allows me to read/sync Word/Excel/PDF documents from my desktop)

Are comparable applications available for the iPhone?

Thanks.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
SplashID? NO. But you'd think demand would be there for an app and it'd be simple to do one. Apple needs this.

Docs to go (or to read docs) YES..and reads them quite well. No editing.

Autoslate? Perhaps a web2.0 app

Travel tracker? I wouldn't think so. Unless what you use puts it in Outlook then gets transferred in sync.

byronchurch

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
The answer to your question is ...NO!....The calendar Is basic ,no colors no icons no separate calendars but its so cool and well you know ...I still use splash ID desktop and keep my 680 synced and carry it in my brief case but I never pull it out because the iPhone is so cool and well you know . If you know . I know some day iPhone is going to to have a DateBk10 , splash , slap , DialByPhoto , and zlauncher but for now you get this :
http://iphoneapplicationlist.com/

nmprofessional

Jun 19, 2003
www.nmprofessional.com
scandalex,

Do you like your Mogul? I like the iPhone, but it IS a very consumer device. I am thinking coming back to Sprint but with a Mogul instead of my Treo 700p.

Have you ever had a Treo? What do you like (and hate) about your Mogul?

Thanks,
Dave

ScandaLeX

Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
Dave, I am completely bored with my Mogul.

In all honesty, I jumped on it because it was the upgrade to the 6700. I thought I was getting this kick-a$$ top of the line phone/pda. Based on using it for not quite 2 months, I feel that I could have continued to use the 6700.

I am NOT impressed with Wi-Fi on the Mogul. Some days it works but most times it doesnt connect. I will say that when it does randomly connect, wi-fi speeds are tremendous.

I havent done anything to my initial setup. My Wii & PSP connect flawlessly, but the Mogul is more miss than hit.

I think the Mogul is slower than the 6700.

And yes, I've had the Treo 600/650/700p. I still have the 700p. I do want the iPhone and if I dont get that then I'll get the iPod Touch (16G).

For some reason I get the feeling that the Mogul is missing something. The longer I think about it, the best I can come up with is it just doesnt WOW me.

electroman

Jun 12, 2007
Visit site
Treo - iPhone

I made the switch last week. I evaluated how I used the Treo 680 (along with various smartphones/ppc phones) and determined that I don't sync documents all that often, even with the improvements that DTG has. (Interesting that Microsoft still can't get it right on their handhelds). I also figured out that I have been able to make the iPhone do pretty much everything that I want it to. It requires some patience and thinking. However, I am very pleased with the way things are now. In addition, I have my iPod with me everywhere I go and the few hundred songs in tow. Next stop, videos and such.

:cool:

nmprofessional

Jun 19, 2003
www.nmprofessional.com
I also figured out that I have been able to make the iPhone do pretty much everything that I want it to. It requires some patience and thinking. However, I am very pleased with the way things are now.

electroman,

Do you use a password app on your iPhone? If so, which one? That one is just killing me not having it right now. Also, did you mod your phone by using iBrickr or Install.app to get it where you wanted it?

Thanks,
Dave

electroman

Jun 12, 2007
Visit site
electroman,

Do you use a password app on your iPhone? If so, which one? That one is just killing me not having it right now. Also, did you mod your phone by using iBrickr or Install.app to get it where you wanted it?

Thanks,
Dave

Not really, I am not a power user anymore (old iPaq days). The exchange email was my biggest concern. Currently, I have xpressmail running until I can convince the IT guru that we need to enable IMAP. I also learned that the issues with Yahoo can be corrected the same way I did with the old Pocket PC. (yes a simple turn it off and back on along with clearing the inbox on the web client). As for a password app, I haven't researched that all too much.

JesseNYC

May 4, 2004
Visit site
It appears that Splash Data is developing a Web 2.0 version of Splash ID. Sign up here - Splash ID for iPhone request.

I am a long time Treo owner and my WM6 Treo 750 is currently on eBay and will sell today. Gotta recoup some of the iPhone costs. :)

Just got my iPhone last week and I haven't looked back. Don't know if I will hack it yet. I guess it depends on the apps that become available. I also don't want to hack it and have Apple reverse it with an iTunes update.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
JesseNYC, that is a sweet find. SplashID is one of the last pieces missing for a horde of folks curious about switching to the iPhone. I'll mention it in our podcast.

nmprofessional

Jun 19, 2003
www.nmprofessional.com
I got an email a while back from SplashData. They were thinking of releasing sometime in early November 2007 for an iPhone SplashID app.

My only problem is that I do not want web-based ID app. If I wanted a web-app I would subscribe to www.jkpassword.com . At around $15 a year, seems to be a very good buy. I trust jk as he has been programming for the Palm OS platform for a long time.

Eh. Maybe I will give jk a go.

ursa08

Jun 26, 2007
Visit site
I switched from Treo680 to iPhone just few days ago...
Love the iPhone, but still using 680 :)

I use my 680 for TomTom, SplashID, Checkbook (yea, what about Checkbook for iPhone???), SlovoEd - that's it

iPhone for everything else :)

ojleblanc

Oct 28, 2004
Visit site
I own a Treo 680 and bought an iPhone on Sunday; it arrives tomorrow!!

If I like the iPhone (I'm sure I will!), I intend to sell my Treo to buy a TX. I have too many Palm apps that I use to think my iPhone will replace my PDA, but I'd rather take advantage of the TX's large screen than continue with the Treo. I'll miss it's keyboard, though.

electroman

Jun 12, 2007
Visit site
I gave my wife the 680 to replace her 650. I don't see me going back. In fact, I will be getting a new MacBook as soon as Leapord is released. I spent two hours working with one in the Apple store (just wanted a couple of accessories for the iPhone) and was really impressed.

Loving the new MacBook. So easy to set up and use.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
I gave my wife the 680 to replace her 650. I don't see me going back. In fact, I will be getting a new MacBook as soon as Leapord is released. I spent two hours working with one in the Apple store (just wanted a couple of accessories for the iPhone) and was really impressed.

I am an old Apple employee - left'em back in the early 90's - and then went to the dark side due to the companies I went to work for later. I have lately found myself gravitating over to the Mac section in whatever store I am in that has one. I too am looking to finally go back - the laptops are awesome, IMO.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
I went from the Treo line to the 8125 to the 8525 to the iPhone. Like all converged devices, there are a few compromises, but I seriously wouldn't consider going back to anything I've had or anything that's currently available (or on the immediate horizon). If your "tracker" resource has the ability to email you an appt file (like some webinar sites), they will synch with Outlook which will go on your phone. There is a todolist webapp that's pretty cool, and if Splash is working on some other web apps - the gap is closing that much more...

I highly recommend the iPhone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR