Apple Sell's 1,000,000th iPhone

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Apple sold their 1,000,000th iPhone on Friday after only 72 days since its release. Obviously the price drop had an impact on sales, but they couldn't have been too far off the mark. Which begs the question, why drop the price either at all or to the degree they did? Many say that the price drop came so that it could be released in Europe at a competitive price. That seems to make more sense than Apple needing to drop the price to achieve a sales goal at this point. It also may signal that Apple is ready to announce their European carriers.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/error.html#mn_p

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

Well, they claim 1M, well in advanced of Sept 30.

The price cut probably had little impact on this, so they were already close...maybe the purchase rate was slowing? Who knows.

Regardless, good for them and shareholders.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Apple sold their 1,000,000th iPhone on Friday after only 72 days since its release.
I'm curious how they count this figure:

June sales: 270,000 (Source)
July Sales: 220,000 (Same Source)

Which means they've sold 510,000 phones since 1 August. Does that make sense? I tried slicing it a couple of different ways:

- First 33 days (29 June - 31 July): ~15,000 phones per day.
- July daily sales: (1-31 July): ~7,100 phones per day.

To get to 1,000,000 sold by 6 Sep:
- Recent Sales(est): (1 Aug - 6 Sep): ~13,800 phones per day.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I can't figure out how daily sales on average nearly doubled after July. Maybe Apple is reporting units shipped and they are being announced as sold. :confused: Maybe they are pre-spinning their quarterly stock report? Are the earlier sales figures I'm using here completely wrong? It's an interesting claim none-the-less.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I'm curious how they count this figure:

June sales: 270,000 (Source)
July Sales: 220,000 (Same Source)

Which means they've sold 510,000 phones since 1 August. Does that make sense? I tried slicing it a couple of different ways:

- First 33 days (29 June - 31 July): ~15,000 phones per day.
- July daily sales: (1-31 July): ~7,100 phones per day.

To get to 1,000,000 sold by 6 Sep:
- Recent Sales(est): (1 Aug - 6 Sep): ~13,800 phones per day.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I can't figure out how daily sales on average nearly doubled after July. Maybe Apple is reporting units shipped and they are being announced as sold. :confused: Maybe they are pre-spinning their quarterly stock report? Are the earlier sales figures I'm using here completely wrong? It's an interesting claim none-the-less.

Yes, I see the same thing...not sure how they are getting there, but supposedly they are. That is why the AT&T activation numbers are needed.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I seem to recall reading that iPhones shipped to AT&T can be counted as sold by Apple (but phones still in Apple stores can't). No idea how significant the AT&T number is, if the rate has increased lots, or if iSuppli just got it wrong. Likely a bit of each?

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
I seem to recall reading that iPhones shipped to AT&T can be counted as sold by Apple (but phones still in Apple stores can't). No idea how significant the AT&T number is, if the rate has increased lots, or if iSuppli just got it wrong. Likely a bit of each?
I'm sure the answer lies in a combination of effects - it just seems like a ballsy announcement on the heals of a (relatively) slow July sales report and an early September price chop. I massage numbers like this a lot (I'm sometimes in the "Expectations Management" industry ;) ) and it seems like Apple would provide a cleaner explanation of the seeming doubling of phone sales in the month of August to support their claim of a "Million Phone March." :cool:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro