Ghandi weighs in on the iPhone critics

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Ghandi.

So you are saying iPhone users or the iPhone are akin to a revered sadhu saving his country from tyranny? Alrighty then :rolleyes:

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Ghandi.

Actually, if you anything about him, you would realize he would be against the iPhone.

That quote can be applied to Microsoft, Dell, Starbucks, KFC, and dozens of companies.

Dig a little deeper and you'd see the iPhone in it's current form is quite the antithesis to Ghandi.

GreenHex

Feb 10, 2006
www.swCP3.com
I recently saw one of his cars (a 1926 Studebaker Open Tourer), and I don't think he would have been against the iPhone.

Gandhi was featured in the Apple "Think Different" ad campaign, right?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I recently saw one of his cars (a 1926 Studebaker Open Tourer), and I don't think he would have been against the iPhone.

I don't think he would be against it, I just think trying to equate Gandhi with a telephone is a bit offensive.

Regarding the quote itself:
1. who ignored the iPhone? Apparently from the forums since it was announced no one here is.
2. Who is laughing at it (beyond surur that is)? Critiques and comments isn't laughter.
3. Who is fighting it (again surur doesn't count, he's unstable :p) , everyone else I see seems to be debating specific points but generally don't have anything fundamentally against the iPhone. Wackos on the other side of the debate perceive some to be attacking but they don't count either.)
4. And as far as winning, it already is a winner from day 1. It isn't an underdog that needs to struggle to survive, but in one fell swoop made underdogs out of many that previously were leaders in the industry.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I don't think he would be against it, I just think trying to equate Ghandi with a telephone is a bit offensive.
That's it exactly. (Plus as you point out, even as an analogy it fails. Wins for hyperbole though...)

Why not just use MLK too and bring other historical characters down to such petty levels. :cry:

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Couldn't this just as easily sway the other way around? I've seen plenty of iPhone supporters (fanboys) doing the ignore you, laugh at you, then they fight you thing. How many posts in the 10 things that suck about the iPhone thread (and in every other iPhone forum) are iPhone users bashing Treos and other smartphones?

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
This has been interesting. Judging by the numbers of posts you guys have made, you all seem to spend most of your free time reading and posting to this board, and also thinking about and using gadgets.

I like gadgets too, which is why I spend some time here and on other boards.

Yet, you are all so quick to debase as petty, wordly and inconsequential the subject you all devote so much attention to when the words of Ghandi are applied to the subject.

I would hope you are all posting to politcs, human rights and philosophy threads in numbers proportional to the level at which you find those subjects more material than gadgets, no?

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site

This is true. Ghandi wasn't against material wealth per se, as judged by his early life, as well as the lives of his family. He only used his own deprivation, with incredible courage, to create an example that the British government and the Indian congress could not ignore. I think he also did it in protest of British rule in S Africa.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Yet, you are all so quick to debase as petty, wordly and inconsequential the subject you all devote so much attention to when the words of Ghandi are applied to the subject.

I would hope you are all posting to politcs, human rights and philosophy threads in numbers proportional to the level at which you find those subjects more material than gadgets, no?
Of course this (TC & posting) is petty and inconsequential. What social monster would think otherwise?

This is all distractions/entertainment which is why your OP is so senseless off base.

As far as what we do with our free time and whether it meets your standards just set is also inconsequential. :rolleyes: Don't turn this into some profound judgment about the posters at TC instead of your silly post.

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
Of course this (TC & posting) is petty and inconsequential. What social monster would think otherwise?

This is all distractions/entertainment which is why your OP is so senseless off base.

As far as what we do with our free time and whether it meets your standards just set is also inconsequential. :rolleyes: Don't turn this into some profound judgment about the posters at TC instead of your silly post.

I didn't; you did:

"Why not just use MLK too and bring other historical characters down to such petty levels."