10 Things that "Absolutely rock" about the iPhone. (no I don't have one)

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
1) Safari
2) Rich-formatted email
3) The tilt sensors
4) Multitouch
5) Quartz-based UI elements
6) UNIX stability
7) Activation from home
8) Big beautiful screen
9) Slim form factor
10) iPod (audio and video)

Now, I want to see lots more added before I'm sold, like 3G, OTA syncing, 3rd party apps, direct downloads from iTunes store, better/more native Apple apps, video capture (iMovie mobile!). But there is lots to like and I'm guessing either Palm pulls a rabbit out their *** or I'll be buying an iPhone in a rev or 2.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
- The power of a full desktop OS (although currently neutered)
- Bypassing of carrier approval for everything, including coveted updates
- Nice GUI
- Brings a higher level of craftsmanship to cell phones
- Will spur more innovative designs and features (hopefully)
- Easy to use

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
- GUI details. The way GUI elements obey physics (bouncing, slowing down due to friction, etc.) to make things feel almost tangible

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Awesome soft keyboard that allows me to type very fast, and goes away when I want to view the full screen.

Did you try that website that tells you your typing speed? Sorry I don't remember the URL. Personally I like the Treo's thumboard but am not against the iPhones. Hopefully if/when I get one it will be improved a bit by then. (when it is available, landscape available everywhere, basically any tweaks that may improve it).

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Did you try that website that tells you your typing speed? Sorry I don't remember the URL. Personally I like the Treo's thumboard but am not against the iPhones. Hopefully if/when I get one it will be improved a bit by then. (when it is available, landscape available everywhere, basically any tweaks that may improve it).

Yes, it told me 32 wpm. What makes the keyboard so good is the iPhones ability to get almost every word right you spelled wrong. I see no reason why future versions of Windows Mobile can't do the same thing. Why use a slide out keyboard if you don't have to.

Frenzytom#CB

Apr 24, 2004
Visit site
I'm surprised they don't use Newton's learning handwriting recognition...downside would be that it would require some sort of stylus but it would be so much more natural than a keyboard.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Yes, it told me 32 wpm. What makes the keyboard so good is the iPhones ability to get almost every word right you spelled wrong. I see no reason why future versions of Windows Mobile can't do the same thing. Why use a slide out keyboard if you don't have to.

Personally I think the auto-correct thing might bug me out a bit. You have to have it because the keyboard itself is actually very inaccurate. I'd like to actually see some other entry method not based on QWERTY like the ATOMIK keyboard by Pruss for the TX. If they really want to be revolutionary anyway ;)

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
1) that mine doesn't reset itself like my Treos did
2) that mine doesn't hang-up/freeze with an in-coming call
3) design, fit and finish; i like the smoothness and uninterupted feel
4) the wonderful resolution coupled with a large screen that allows for a great internet browsing experience....you can actually see and read things with ease
5) Safari and how one can manipulate the webpage
6) its ease of use....its simplicity
7) form-factor and it's pocketability (thank God i don't require a larger device)
8) the keyboard which has been a pleasant surprise
9) having apps just a click away
10) how it makes Palm look like it is standing still

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Personally I think the auto-correct thing might bug me out a bit. You have to have it because the keyboard itself is actually very inaccurate. I'd like to actually see some other entry method not based on QWERTY like the ATOMIK keyboard by Pruss for the TX. If they really want to be revolutionary anyway ;)

Why would it bug you, its gets just about everything right. Before I got the iPhone, the keyboard was the thing I was most worried about (coming from the Blackberry world). Now after using it for almost a month, I feel that the keyboard is one of the best things about it.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Why would it bug you, its gets just about everything right. Before I got the iPhone, the keyboard was the thing I was most worried about (coming from the Blackberry world). Now after using it for almost a month, I feel that the keyboard is one of the best things about it.

I'd have to use it for a month and get back to you. Care to loan yours out? :p

RICHINMJ

May 28, 2004
Visit site
I was just trying to be funny but if they had an iPhone, how is it that they would have the same device as me. Do they have multiple devices?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods