iPhone battery replacement $85.00

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Please, clearly explain to me what I didn't comprehend from batteryuniversity's website. I want to learn from you. Clearly you think the website supports your point of view, since you were the one who initially brought it up to support your argument. I previously asked for a reference to where in that website it says something helpful to your position, but I haven't seen a response. So perhaps the section I quoted is what you consider helpful? If so, please explain how.

With the limited comprehension afforded me as someone with a B.S., M.S., and a Ph.D. in electrical engineering (not to mention a law degree, which i bring up only because i don't think I could have earned that if I couldn't read), it seems to suggest that what matters in battery lifetime is discharge cycles, which, as I pointed out, is what Apple bases their lifetime estimates on. But clearly I must be misinterpreting it. So, again, please, in clear and succinct terms, either explain to me what I am misunderstanding, or explain to me why you think apple is "distorting reality" or, even better, explain both.

Otherwise, I think everyone will just assume you want to end the topic because you made a bunch of baseless throw-away remarks about "reality distortion fields" and stuff, that you attempted to back up your baseless remarks by citing a website you didn't read or didn't understand, and, when caught, attempted to trump logical argument by stating that I just don't understand what I read and that you're taking your ball and going home.

Was that a gauntlet I saw?! The fans will be waiting...

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Please, clearly explain to me what I didn't comprehend from batteryuniversity's website. I want to learn from you. Clearly you think the website supports your point of view, since you were the one who initially brought it up to support your argument. I previously asked for a reference to where in that website it says something helpful to your position, but I haven't seen a response. So perhaps the section I quoted is what you consider helpful? If so, please explain how.

With the limited comprehension afforded me as someone with a B.S., M.S., and a Ph.D. in electrical engineering (not to mention a law degree, which i bring up only because i don't think I could have earned that if I couldn't read), it seems to suggest that what matters in battery lifetime is discharge cycles, which, as I pointed out, is what Apple bases their lifetime estimates on. But clearly I must be misinterpreting it. So, again, please, in clear and succinct terms, either explain to me what I am misunderstanding, or explain to me why you think apple is "distorting reality" or, even better, explain both.

Otherwise, I think everyone will just assume you want to end the topic because you made a bunch of baseless throw-away remarks about "reality distortion fields" and stuff, that you attempted to back up your baseless remarks by citing a website you didn't read or didn't understand, and, when caught, attempted to trump logical argument by stating that I just don't understand what I read and that you're taking your ball and going home.
I always wondered how to define "owned." ;)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

No need to brag about your degrees (if you even have them; rattling off pedigree on internet forums is like a flashing sign of "BS"); it just adds to the fact you don't understand the original intent of the posts. The prisms in your glasses were set when you walked in the room.

The only reason I comment to end the topic is that it's course is run; but if you want to keep it going, you go ahead and do that. Go ahead and throw in some more "baseless" insults while you are at it - you may pump up you PD cred.

Apple makes up facts to suit their mission (just like many other companies). Sorry if that gives you some indigestion, barrister.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
What's REALLY upsetting is they soldered the damn thing to the board (unlike iPod batteries which aren't and so user replaceable using eBay purchases)!

The crucial four words overhead during the battery design stage of the iPhone:

Show me the money!

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
No need to brag about your degrees (if you even have them; rattling off pedigree on internet forums is like a flashing sign of "BS"); it just adds to the fact you don't understand the original intent of the posts. The prisms in your glasses were set when you walked in the room.

The only reason I comment to end the topic is that it's course is run; but if you want to keep it going, you go ahead and do that. Go ahead and throw in some more "baseless" insults while you are at it - you may pump up you PD cred.

Apple makes up facts to suit their mission (just like many other companies). Sorry if that gives you some indigestion, barrister.

1) "Apple makes up facts..." We are all still waiting to hear what those made up facts are. It sounded like it had something to do with batteries, but I guess not? Repeating a statement over and over doesn't make it true. True, it's a proven technique to get people to believe you, but I think the people on this board are a little brigher than that.

2) My Ph.D. dissertation is actually on-line. Happy to share the url and other evidence with anyone who PM's me, but based on people's reaction to your statements, I doubt anyone actually cares.

3) "you don't understand the original intent of the posts..." I admit that. I don't think anyone else does either. Let me reiterate my two earlier requests that you please explain it in words we can all understand. That's all I ask. Forget about the rest of this thread, and go back to your original "apple makes crap up" point (or whatever you are now saying the point is), and please explain it more fully and give supporting evidence. That's all I ask.

I don't want to insult you. You made a bunch of conclusory statements without evidence, then provided bogus evidence, and now are trying to change the subject. I just think it's important that if you have a point you make it clearly, and if you don't have a point that people who read this board are not confused by your broad unsubstantiated generalizations.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
1) "Apple makes up facts..." We are all still waiting to hear what those made up facts are. It sounded like it had something to do with batteries, but I guess not? Repeating a statement over and over doesn't make it true. True, it's a proven technique to get people to believe you, but I think the people on this board are a little brigher than that.

2) My Ph.D. dissertation is actually on-line. Happy to share the url and other evidence with anyone who PM's me, but based on people's reaction to your statements, I doubt anyone actually cares.

3) "you don't understand the original intent of the posts..." I admit that. I don't think anyone else does either. Let me reiterate my two earlier requests that you please explain it in words we can all understand. That's all I ask. Forget about the rest of this thread, and go back to your original "apple makes crap up" point (or whatever you are now saying the point is), and please explain it more fully and give supporting evidence. That's all I ask.

I don't want to insult you. You made a bunch of conclusory statements without evidence, then provided bogus evidence, and now are trying to change the subject. I just think it's important that if you have a point you make it clearly, and if you don't have a point that people who read this board are not confused by your broad unsubstantiated generalizations.

1.) It's already been stated that what Apple defines is fact is indeed fact/truth. This was earlier in the thread by someone else. I have repreated made it clear that other companies do this, and if you define reality, then you are always correct.

2.) I too could point to some random person's dissertation. But let's just say you have the bigger weiner and be done with it. Having been through graduate programs myself, it's not that impressive.

3.) This has already been stated. If you want to ask the question again, with more clarity, I will be glad to answer it again. The point was never that the batteries would or would not fail. You seem to be the only one confused; don't generalize to the whole group.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Fine. I'm the only one confused. Please help me out.

ps: on the "some random person" thing - if you honestly don't believe me, please just PM me and I will send you more than adequate proof of my entire biography. For obvious reasons I don't want to splash details all over the internet. As I own the domain associated with the name of the person who wrote the dissertation (said dissertation being hosted by an .edu, not by my domain), I would happily change my home page on my domain to anything you want. That would prove that whoever owns the domain is me, and a whois would tell you the name of the person who paid for the domain, which will match both the domain name and the name on the dissertation. From there I can send you to the state bar webpage where you can see I passed the bar exam. At which point I guess you'd say "anybody can buy a domain with a fake name matching the name on a ph.d. dissertation from 1996 and the name of someone who passed the bar in 2006, and do so many years ago just for an eventuality such as this." But, if not, I am happy to point you at the data.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
That would be "frage, bitte" i believe, but my German is a bit rusty.

So, once again: You accused Apple of distorting facts or distorting reality or a little of both. How have they done this, in particular with the iphone? (I only assume you meant the iphone, since you brought it up in a discussion of the iphone.)

By "how have they done this" I mean specific facts.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
That would be "frage, bitte" i believe, but my German is a bit rusty.

So, once again: You accused Apple of distorting facts or distorting reality or a little of both. How have they done this, in particular with the iphone? (I only assume you meant the iphone, since you brought it up in a discussion of the iphone.)

By "how have they done this" I mean specific facts.

No, it's "question, bitte", because I said it that way. International language mix and all.
Again, it went right past you, and you tried to trump, and ended up emtpy handed.

How about those Apple ads showing the NYT web site, with Flash, even though the iPhone doesn't support it? That was one of the more blatant ones.

But there's a fellow named Surur over on TC that can give you a whole lesson on Apple's RDF.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=146699&page=31

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Ohhh. I see. You're depending on surur. All becomes clear. Since surur has absolutely zero credibility around these parts, I'll stick to your own contributions:

As for the NYT flash thing: I suppose, though you would also have to agree that Apple was quite forthcoming that the browser doesn't currently support flash. And I highly doubt they were trying to say "we support flash." Most people don't know that the NY Times front page uses flash. On the other hand, the wall street journal says it's coming in the next two months.

However, I'll help you out a bit and suggest that the commercials showing web sites loading reasonably quickly might be misleading, especially given EDGE (and possibly even with wi-fi, though I'm not sure there's a lot of data on that yet).

But, in any event, I gotta again ask: what the heck does this have to do with BATTERIES?? You clearly brought up the RDF in the context of batteries, in a thread dealing strictly with batteries.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Ohhh. I see. You're depending on surur. All becomes clear. Since surur has absolutely zero credibility around these parts, I'll stick to your own contributions:

As for the NYT flash thing: I suppose, though you would also have to agree that Apple was quite forthcoming that the browser doesn't currently support flash. And I highly doubt they were trying to say "we support flash." Most people don't know that the NY Times front page uses flash. On the other hand, the wall street journal says it's coming in the next two months.

However, I'll help you out a bit and suggest that the commercials showing web sites loading reasonably quickly might be misleading, especially given EDGE (and possibly even with wi-fi, though I'm not sure there's a lot of data on that yet).

But, in any event, I gotta again ask: what the heck does this have to do with BATTERIES?? You clearly brought up the RDF in the context of batteries, in a thread dealing strictly with batteries.

Dr. cmaier,

I'll stick to the battery topic, although I agree on the EDGE/Wi-Fi point you mention. (I still say buyer beware...)

Re: batteries - two issues. One - the lack of a removable and user replaceable batter is move to get more money out of buyers, plain and simple. I think it shows contempt for customers; nickel and diming them on the most expense phone/PMP out there.

Two, the page you linked to on Apple shows Apple's view on "charge cycle", but no one else subscribes to that defn. (that using 100% capacity. regardless of charging pattern, is a "cycle".) That was my RDF comment (although, to be honest, Jobs did a lot more in his keynote presentations).

That's it. Agree/Disagree/Ignore.

(in regards to surur, what do you credibility "around here?" In a site that has been up for a week? Before you decide to slander him, post where he has said something false. Just because you disagree does not mean what he posts is not credible.)

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
"Two, the page you linked to on Apple shows Apple's view on "charge cycle", but no one else subscribes to that defn. (that using 100% capacity. regardless of charging pattern, is a "cycle".) That was my RDF comment (although, to be honest, Jobs did a lot more in his keynote presentations)."

Um, your own reference (battery university) does describe it in exactly that way. And your contention that running a battery down from 100% to 90% and back to 100% causes the same battery degradation as running from 100% to 0% to 100% is bizarre. (Though there is some number above 0% that constitutes a "deep discharge" which is sufficient to bring about most of the same degradation as 0%. I don't know what this is for lithium-polymer batteries - I assume iphone uses lithium polymer.)

An example paper which analyed li-ion and came to around the same numbers being claimed by apple is: http://atrak.usc.edu/~massoud/Papers/batcap-pred-date03.pdf (note, however, temperature effects)

As for the lack of removable/user replaceable battery, your opinion is fine, but there is no "reality distortion" involved. Apple never claimed the battery was replaceable. I also don't think apple ever stated a reason for not making the battery replaceable, so it seems unlikely they are distorting the truth about it.

As for your "to get more money out of buyers," I still say that's not true. Although we don't know the capacity of the battery (afaik - if the capacity has been revealed, let me know), based on apparent run time and comparing to phones like the treo, it appears to be at least a 3000mAH design (probably higher, since the processor runs at a higher speed and the display is bigger and probably draws more power). If so, as I showed, the price charged by Apple is, worst case, around $20-$30 more than the equivalent price of an aftermarket palm battery. At best, it's the same price. Since the data is lacking, I can't be sure, but it doesn't look to me like apple considers battery replacements a profit center. Of course, as is the theme of this thread, I provide numbers, references, and data, and you provide generalities and attempts to change the subject.

As for surur, I was referring for his penchant for the generalities of which you are so fond. Things like "The iPhone is all about style over substance" and (I am sure i misquote, but you get the gist) "apple could put their logo on a turd and morons would buy it". Oh, and on that thread you referenced: "some people are easily impressed." And, as for your "has been up for a week" nonsense, as you know this forum was part of treocentral before that, and he's been posting for awhile. In fact, I urge everyone to go look at that thread, and only read surur's little blurbs he adds for each response. You'll get the picture. But I enjoy how you went over there to tattle on me. Maybe you can get him over here to spout some more cliches with you.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
"Two, the page you linked to on Apple shows Apple's view on "charge cycle", but no one else subscribes to that defn. (that using 100% capacity. regardless of charging pattern, is a "cycle".) That was my RDF comment (although, to be honest, Jobs did a lot more in his keynote presentations)."

Um, your own reference (battery university) does describe it in exactly that way. And your contention that running a battery down from 100% to 90% and back to 100% causes the same battery degradation as running from 100% to 0% to 100% is bizarre. (Though there is some number above 0% that constitutes a "deep discharge" which is sufficient to bring about most of the same degradation as 0%. I don't know what this is for lithium-polymer batteries - I assume iphone uses lithium polymer.)

An example paper which analyed li-ion and came to around the same numbers being claimed by apple is: http://atrak.usc.edu/~massoud/Papers/batcap-pred-date03.pdf (note, however, temperature effects)

As for the lack of removable/user replaceable battery, your opinion is fine, but there is no "reality distortion" involved. Apple never claimed the battery was replaceable. I also don't think apple ever stated a reason for not making the battery replaceable, so it seems unlikely they are distorting the truth about it.

As for your "to get more money out of buyers," I still say that's not true. Although we don't know the capacity of the battery (afaik - if the capacity has been revealed, let me know), based on apparent run time and comparing to phones like the treo, it appears to be at least a 3000mAH design (probably higher, since the processor runs at a higher speed and the display is bigger and probably draws more power). If so, as I showed, the price charged by Apple is, worst case, around $20-$30 more than the equivalent price of an aftermarket palm battery. At best, it's the same price. Since the data is lacking, I can't be sure, but it doesn't look to me like apple considers battery replacements a profit center. Of course, as is the theme of this thread, I provide numbers, references, and data, and you provide generalities and attempts to change the subject.

As for surur, I was referring for his penchant for the generalities of which you are so fond. Things like "The iPhone is all about style over substance" and (I am sure i misquote, but you get the gist) "apple could put their logo on a turd and morons would buy it". Oh, and on that thread you referenced: "some people are easily impressed." And, as for your "has been up for a week" nonsense, as you know this forum was part of treocentral before that, and he's been posting for awhile. In fact, I urge everyone to go look at that thread, and only read surur's little blurbs he adds for each response. You'll get the picture. But I enjoy how you went over there to tattle on me. Maybe you can get him over here to spout some more cliches with you.

I never said 100% to 90% back to 100% was a cycle (or even the same as 100% to 0%; certain batteries have certain top-off points. I really think you are trying to find something that is not there.

I never made any comment about the non-removable battery being RDF (only that it's a suck move) Again, you are saying things and looking for things which are not there.

They would not have had a "battery replacement program" ready if they knew this wasn't an issue. This is Apple milking the customer, plain and simple (but hey, no one is forcing you to buy the phone). My issue is that the battery can't last all day (at least the way I used a smartphone, and that I have to leave in in a dock to charge (effectively losing use of it) instead of being able to pop an extra battery in.

As for the 3000 mah rating, I will wait for the disectors to figure it out.

As for Apple not seeing as a profit center, don't be fooled - Apple is not dumb and sees profit center in everything.

As for Surur, he can comment if he wants. (he asserts an opinion, just like all the fanboys), As for the "been around for a week", my bad for not clarifying "the week since they moved the subforum".

I'm not tattling - you made the slanderous comment, and there was a comment in the other forum about whether or not he should post here - it was related info.

If you see it as tattling, you have something in common with Napolean.

(If this is your line of reasoning, remind me to never hire you as a lawyer).

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
You couldn't afford me as a lawyer.

You don't think they would have a "battery replacement program" simply to satisfy critics who kept asking "what is going to happen when my battery dies?"

"I never said 100% to 90% back to 100% was a cycle (or even the same as 100% to 0%; certain batteries have certain top-off points. I really think you are trying to find something that is not there."

You said: "Remember that every time you plug in the iPhone to a power source, you are charging it. That counts as a recharge cycle."

Also, in post #18 I asked specifically about the 90->100% case, and, yes, you said you weren't sure, but did say 50->80->60 is a cycle, for example (and my point still holds. That is NOT a cycle. That is 2/10ths of a cycle.)

"As for the "been around for a week", my bad for not clarifying "the week since they moved the subforum"."

But you implied Surur had only been posting for a week, and thus he could not have a reputation for bias. My point is only that his track record exceeds a week, since it dates back into the days when this forum existed as part of treocentral.

Tattling: I am not the only one who thinks so. See the "run to mommy" quote in the other forum. That wasn't me.

Slander: First, let's just assume you are using the term in the colloquial rather than the legal sense. It ain't slander if it's true, and I pointed out several comments that clearly indicate his bias (and am happy to point out many many more, if you'd like.) Anytime anyone tries to have a conversation about any problem they may be having, where others are trying to help, Surur makes snide remarks about the intelligence of anyone who buys apple products. Do you really maintain that it is credible to believe that anyone who buys an iphone values form over function, is an idiot about technology, or is trying to impress his or her friends? Because I don't, and I don't think most people don't. (Hence those statements are not credible, and that's all I said about Surur.)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
You couldn't afford me as a lawyer.

You don't think they would have a "battery replacement program" simply to satisfy critics who kept asking "what is going to happen when my battery dies?"

"I never said 100% to 90% back to 100% was a cycle (or even the same as 100% to 0%; certain batteries have certain top-off points. I really think you are trying to find something that is not there."

You said: "Remember that every time you plug in the iPhone to a power source, you are charging it. That counts as a recharge cycle."

Also, in post #18 I asked specifically about the 90->100% case, and, yes, you said you weren't sure, but did say 50->80->60 is a cycle, for example (and my point still holds. That is NOT a cycle. That is 2/10ths of a cycle.)

"As for the "been around for a week", my bad for not clarifying "the week since they moved the subforum"."

But you implied Surur had only been posting for a week, and thus he could not have a reputation for bias. My point is only that his track record exceeds a week, since it dates back into the days when this forum existed as part of treocentral.

Tattling: I am not the only one who thinks so. See the "run to mommy" quote in the other forum. That wasn't me.

Slander: First, let's just assume you are using the term in the colloquial rather than the legal sense. It ain't slander if it's true, and I pointed out several comments that clearly indicate his bias (and am happy to point out many many more, if you'd like.) Anytime anyone tries to have a conversation about any problem they may be having, where others are trying to help, Surur makes snide remarks about the intelligence of anyone who buys apple products. Do you really maintain that it is credible to believe that anyone who buys an iphone values form over function, is an idiot about technology, or is trying to impress his or her friends? Because I don't, and I don't think most people don't. (Hence those statements are not credible, and that's all I said about Surur.)

Couldn't afford you? What an arse comment. Makes me doubt you even are one. Very snobby statement, considering you know nothing about my finances. Tool.

Again, Apple knew this was an issue way back when they ,made the design decision - the "repalcement program" wasn't whipped up in a couple days - large companies don't move that way. This was all planned (I'm not making a judgement, just stating a fact).

Again, you try to twist words - I mention specifically that I was not sure about the 90%, which you later claimed as fact. (so you are a liar).

I gave my example of a charge cycle. (Remeber, if Apple can define one, so can I). There is some question here about charge cycle vs. used capacity per cycle; maybe this merits clarification. I know mine holds true, as I have seen it in action over the past 10 years.

If Oalveraz is your backup, you are a sad sack indeed. Again Napolean got nothing on you.

Re: Surur, you don't like his style, but again, that has nothing to do with credibility.
Obvious, you don't understand that (why I am I not surprised.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
can't you just go away and post on your happy little iphone-hater thread? You're really not adding anything here, and you keep posting assertions that are obviously false to anyone who reads the rest of this thread, so you're not fooling anyone.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
can't you just go away and post on your happy little iphone-hater thread? You're really not adding anything here, and you keep posting assertions that are obviously false to anyone who reads the rest of this thread, so you're not fooling anyone.

Not trying to fool anyone; just repsonding to your comments.

I will post wherever I please, whenever I please. You no likely, there's an ignore button.

And who knows, I may crack and get an iPhone and find it's so wonderful and that I was wrong...and I would gladly post my crow pie accordingly.

But until that day, deal with it.

Move to the next topic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods