How is the calendar?

Merlyn_3D

Oct 23, 2005
Visit site
I agree, that's a drawback for me!!!

But you're sure the no-repeat problem can't be fixed in settings, Merlyn?

Oh believe me....I've looked. I think I'm actually going to return to my treo 750. As much as I love the UI on this phone, it feels very immature and doesn't seem to have the polish (feature-wise) that other smartphones do. I look forward to the second gen though, hopefully that will include 3G as well.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Notes

MacUser, thanks for the nice response. One of his questions you didn't touch on was notes - can you assign notes to a calendar event? (It almost seems silly to ask, but better to know for sure)

You're welcome. Yeah, you can assign notes to an event..it's at the bottom of the Event screen and it's called "Notes". I'm note sure about syncing, I haven't tried yet.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
You know...the most disappointing thing about the iphone calendar is that the notification is not nearly loud enough and it only plays once. No repeating, no snooze, no nothing, just one notification and if you miss it you're screwed. What's the point of putting an appointment with a reminder in your calendar if it doesn't remind you?

That's not entirely true. You can set TWO reminders for the same event so you do get two notifications--Alert & Second Alert. True, it would be nice to have a snooze feature like they have on the Alarm Clock app.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
The second alert is nice, but i do miss the repeated alerts and having a list of alerts that have passed. I'm quickly learning to just look at my calendar for that purpose though.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
The second alert is nice, but i do miss the repeated alerts and having a list of alerts that have passed. I'm quickly learning to just look at my calendar for that purpose though.

Yeah, I do that too. It's fun to use the time dials when setting an event :eek:

I also leave the volume up pretty high so I hear the alert the first or second time. If there is something I MUST absolutely do, I set my alarm ;)

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
That sucks. Personally, my treo is always silenced, and I rely on the led to tell me i have email or a voicemail.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
I'm shocked at the number of people who actually use that LED, most treo owners i know got software to just turn the thing off. Thats what i did.

Jeffois

May 4, 2007
Visit site
It syncs all the iCals with no problem. You choose which iCal category you want the iPhone events to go into as a setting.

What are the steps for getting this done? The sales dude at my local Apple Store couldn't figure it out...

I'm hoping that this can be done, because the main sticking points for me, (other than the fact that I'm still in contract w/ Sprint) are this and the lack of matching features in the Contacts app on this and Address Book in OS X.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
Connect the iPhone to your Mac. Open iTunes, click on the iPhone icon, then on the info tab. In there are the options for synching the calendar, contacts, and bookmarks. It's very very simple to setup, I can't believe anyone at an Apple store couldn't figure this out.

What are the steps for getting this done? The sales dude at my local Apple Store couldn't figure it out...

I'm hoping that this can be done, because the main sticking points for me, (other than the fact that I'm still in contract w/ Sprint) are this and the lack of matching features in the Contacts app on this and Address Book in OS X.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I'm shocked at the number of people who actually use that LED, most treo owners i know got software to just turn the thing off. Thats what i did.

I use butler to actually make it useful. The light is always off. If I have an email, chatter flashes it green. If I have voicemail, butler makes it steady orange.

Out-of-the-box, the "flash green when i have a signal" behavior is pretty pointless, to me.

Jeffois

May 4, 2007
Visit site
Connect the iPhone to your Mac. Open iTunes, click on the iPhone icon, then on the info tab. In there are the options for synching the calendar, contacts, and bookmarks. It's very very simple to setup, I can't believe anyone at an Apple store couldn't figure this out.

Since it's as simple as that, I'm amazed also!

He was looking only at the phone, not at iTunes prefs, and nobody at the store seemed to think that one could have the iPhone display categories for iCal events on the phone. Strange. I'll go back one day this week and ask about it...

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I use butler to actually make it useful. The light is always off. If I have an email, chatter flashes it green. If I have voicemail, butler makes it steady orange.

Out-of-the-box, the "flash green when i have a signal" behavior is pretty pointless, to me.
I did the same thing with Chatter. The only good use for the light.

Playberry1010

Jun 10, 2004
Visit site

on this note, yes, it allows a sync into iCal, but only one category can be chosen being that the iPhone doesn't offer categories at this time; so if you choose, say a work category as your sole default one, but you added a dentist appointment into the iPhone, well, you will still have to manually move that appointment to the proper category on the desktop. I imagine this will be revised in a software update. I can live with it for now.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I just noticed that all my appointments are off by several hours (syncing with outlook).

I'm guessing it's a timezone problem. Checking it out now.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
Yes, only one category is chosen for adding new appointments on the iPhone, but you can synch any or all categories.

After you sync, you can open iCal and change the new appointment to the category you want. If does seem like a silly restriction, but I've noticed that all devices that sync on a mac even with third-party software like missing sync for Palm and Windows Mobile do this. Maybe it's a limitation in the sync services used.

Fixing this and showing category colors on the iPhone like iCal are my top wants for the calendar app. But as it, it still works better for me than other devices syncing to a Mac.

on this note, yes, it allows a sync into iCal, but only one category can be chosen being that the iPhone doesn't offer categories at this time; so if you choose, say a work category as your sole default one, but you added a dentist appointment into the iPhone, well, you will still have to manually move that appointment to the proper category on the desktop. I imagine this will be revised in a software update. I can live with it for now.

Playberry1010

Jun 10, 2004
Visit site
So even Missing Sync doesn't take care of the category issue on the other platforms?I had thought it did, and had considered getting it but never did.I synced my Treo to the Mac and just manually changed the events to whatever category was appropriate, so this is nothing I haven't been doing anyway. I guess just the fact that the iPhone is well, an Apple device, I figured it would sync with the Mac by nature. (how silly of me;) )
But again, not the end of the world.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
Missing sync does allow you to view multiple categories in a calendar and even to see which event goes to which category. But you still assign a default calendar that any new event on the device gets put into when you sync. Happens on both Palm and Window Mobile versions. Even the iSync conduit Apple supplied for Palm Desktop did this. That what makes me think it's some sort of sync services issue. It would be really good if they fixed this, but it's not too bad to deal with. I just know that when I open iCal to look at any items in my "iPhone" calendar and reassign them.

So even Missing Sync doesn't take care of the category issue on the other platforms?I had thought it did, and had considered getting it but never did.I synced my Treo to the Mac and just manually changed the events to whatever category was appropriate, so this is nothing I haven't been doing anyway. I guess just the fact that the iPhone is well, an Apple device, I figured it would sync with the Mac by nature. (how silly of me;) )
But again, not the end of the world.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR