How is the calendar?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Anyone care to review the calendar app? Is there OTA syncing with iCal or anything like that? How are tasks handled? Is there any sort of memo app available?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
do you really care?

"is there any sort of memo app" you ask.......i'd be beyond surprised if you didn't know what applications came pre-loaded on the device......i'd be even more surprised if you tried to convince us that you didn't know that you couldn't load 3rd party apps onto the device.

so transparent and so getting old.....but hey, just to help you out, some bullet points pertaining to the calendar function found on the net:

Looks like there is a Day / Week / Month view buttons
There is a today button
The calendar uses a dot to represent an event in the day of the month
A plus button would be for adding events
Shows the time at the top of the screen
Indicates the current month in highlighted blue
Shows events for that day below calendar view with time

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
oalvarez, wtf is your problem anyway?

Any other rational person: It's a simple question and I haven't seen much about the calendar app yet. Do you like it? How well does it work? Is it basically 'iCal' on the handheld, or is it different? Does it sync seamlessly thru iTunes with iCal? Does it do OTA syncing at all? What are all the details? What do you like, what don't you like? You know, a review?

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Well, I can't get into all those questions, but here are some comments.

It has spin dials that you use to choose the day, hour, and minute when making an event. It's pretty cool.

On the down side, it doesn't keep your different iCals different--with categories :( Hopefully, it'll be something that will be updated.

There is no Week view, but the list view is sweet as you can keep flicking downward to see all the upcoming events. The Month view is cool also because you can tap a date and then see the events for the day under the calendar. If there are more events than can be viewed at one time, you flick downward and see the rest. Pretty nice "Month At A Glance"-esque.

It syncs all the iCals with no problem. You choose which iCal category you want the iPhone events to go into as a setting.

That's about it.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Well, I can't get into all those questions, but here are some comments.

It has spin dials that you use to choose the day, hour, and minute when making an event. It's pretty cool.

On the down side, it doesn't keep your different iCals different--with categories :( Hopefully, it'll be something that will be updated.

There is no Week view, but the list view is sweet as you can keep flicking downward to see all the upcoming events. The Month view is cool also because you can tap a date and then see the events for the day under the calendar. If there are more events than can be viewed at one time, you flick downward and see the rest. Pretty nice "Month At A Glance"-esque.

It syncs all the iCals with no problem. You choose which iCal category you want the iPhone events to go into as a setting.

That's about it.

Sounds pretty limited :( Sure would be nice to have Agendus on the iPhone (without the crashes of course).

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Braj, this is everyone's problem.....you're asking about calendar and memo functionality having posted this over a day ago? transparent as i said.

In SF I'm seeing connection to EDGE almost nil. I can't get web pages to open and barely can get an email through Chatter with constant polling. I just wanted to see how widespread this is and if you guys on iPhones are having similar issues.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Braj, this is everyone's problem.....you're asking about calendar and memo functionality having posted this over a day ago? transparent as i said.

I personally don't see the connection. I think the only one with a problem here is you.

MacUser, thanks for the nice response. One of his questions you didn't touch on was notes - can you assign notes to a calendar event? (It almost seems silly to ask, but better to know for sure)

SAKozicki

Aug 26, 2005
Visit site
Good Calendar a Deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the calendar inquiry, Braj. I, too, am curious about how good/useful the calendar function is on the IPhone, since the robust calendar function is a very important part of my Treo 680 that I don't want to give up by swithching to the IPhone. Can contacts be linked to appointments? Will the Outlook to do lists sync to the calendar and appear on the first screen that pops up when you push the calendar icon? Apple spent a whole lot of time talking about the multimedia functions of this phone, but not a whole lot of the PDA functions.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I believe there is no syncing of to-do, and, in fact, no to-do support at all. I also think there is no linking at this point.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
This would be another deal-breaker for me :( I was really hoping the calendar would have OTA syncing, todos and memos. I use Agendus on Palm and though I don't necessarily need all that functionality, frankly my old SE phone was a more effective organizer than the iPhone (it even has copy/paste ;) ) Why would they make it that spartan?

Could you imagine the beautiful job that could be done on the iPhone with a good PIM? Please Apple, either make something reasonable or let another developer do it for you.

I guess my hope from Apple if they never open it to 3rd party devs is to have a new iPod with the screen of the iPhone, Safari, Wifi and BT. Then I'd happily use my Treo for work and all the nifty MM stuff on the iPod.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I use keysuite on palm (palm's built-in stuff is pretty weak, imho). Luckily i don't use very much of the functionality (beyond the additional contact fields and calendar views), so I'm hoping the iphone stuff will suffice for now. Hopefully they'll either pump it up or allow third-party developers to do so.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I use keysuite on palm (palm's built-in stuff is pretty weak, imho). Luckily i don't use very much of the functionality (beyond the additional contact fields and calendar views), so I'm hoping the iphone stuff will suffice for now. Hopefully they'll either pump it up or allow third-party developers to do so.

Yeah, I'm used to Agendus logging when I've called a contact, associating contacts to meetings, daily journal, actually most of the functionality gets used. If Apple ever opens up to 3rd party apps I'll definitely get an iPhone because I know the apps would come. I have more faith that Apple will fix what is 'wrong' (from my perspective of course) with the iPhone than Palm will fix what is wrong with the Treo. Time will tell. It really hinges on 3rd party support though.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
One thing to remember is that all the apple employees will have iphones. I know some of those guys, and they aren't dummies; they're going to be frustrated with the current state of some of the apps, just like us. So even if they never open up the SDK fully, you can bet we'll see improvements.

(Plus, I expect that just like we can download third-party games for ipod from itunes, we'll be able to download third-party apps. I suspect they'll make deals with some select group of software publishers rather than opening up the API fully. Which makes me sad, because I love hacking.)

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, it's usually a single guy in his garage that comes up with the truly innovative stuff. Limiting it to well-established vendors will give us high prices and limited innovation.

Merlyn_3D

Oct 23, 2005
Visit site
You know...the most disappointing thing about the iphone calendar is that the notification is not nearly loud enough and it only plays once. No repeating, no snooze, no nothing, just one notification and if you miss it you're screwed. What's the point of putting an appointment with a reminder in your calendar if it doesn't remind you?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
You know...the most disappointing thing about the iphone calendar is that the notification is not nearly loud enough and it only plays once. No repeating, no snooze, no nothing, just one notification and if you miss it you're screwed. What's the point of putting an appointment with a reminder in your calendar if it doesn't remind you?

And people can live with that? I think not.C'mon Apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox