Arrogance, Ignorance, or Genius

mshaw1515

Dec 23, 2004
Visit site
Anyone else annoyed that you can't go to Mobile Sites. I know the full web browsing and navigation is 'revolutionary' and I really enjoy it - SOMETIMES. It's great for WIFI but pretty much BLOWS on Edge.

There are dozens of great mobile sites with content and images optimized for a smaller screen. Not only can you not get to many mobile sites (unless you know the mobile address) but they are rendered as if you were at your desktop instead of optimized for the iPhone screen. And no .3gp support so no video from any site except YouTube.

Is Apple being arrogant in thinking their new paradigm of mobile web is truly the way of the future? Were they ignorant to the quality, breadth, and depth of mobile content. Or am i thinking backwards?

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
There are dozens of great mobile sites with content and images optimized for a smaller screen. Not only can you not get to many mobile sites (unless you know the mobile address) but they are rendered as if you were at your desktop instead of optimized for the iPhone screen.
How were you going to them before? I always had the mobile versions of sites bookmarked on my Treo. I may add those to my iPhone, but i havent had any problems browsing the full version of sites yet.

mshaw1515

Dec 23, 2004
Visit site
Some sites will kick you to the mobile version when they detect a mobile browser - Yahoo, ESPN, etc.

I guess i would like an option to browse in Mobile or Full Web Mode. Sometimes the mobile sites are better - less ads, graphics are smaller, links are easier to click...

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
Just noticed this thread. I theorized about this prior to the iPhone release (see this thread) and confirmed it with my brother's iPhone. Pattycerts, are you saying that you've viewed mobile-optimized websites on your iPhone and not had to zoom in/out or scroll right/left?

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
i used the mobile version of yp.com and i had to zoom in, but that was expected. I didnt have any issues with the layout though. No left/right scrolling.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Just noticed this thread. I theorized about this prior to the iPhone release (see this thread) and confirmed it with my brother's iPhone. Pattycerts, are you saying that you've viewed mobile-optimized websites on your iPhone and not had to zoom in/out or scroll right/left?

Noooooo, of course I hadto zoom in, but that just takes a slight pinch-out and all is good.