Apple sold 525,000 iPhones in 3 days (west coast stores sold out)

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19547553/

NEW YORK - Apple Inc. sold about 525,000 iPhones at Apple and AT&T Inc. stores in the first weekend since its June 29 launch, the Los Angeles Times reported on Monday, citing an analyst.

Half of the Apple stores on the U.S. West Coast sold out of the devices on the first day, the report said, citing analyst Trip Chowdhry of Global Equities Research in San Francisco.

Chowdhry could not immediately be reached for comment. Apple and AT&T were not immediately available.

Piper Jaffray also estimated first-weekend sales of the iPhone at about 500,000, according to cnet.com.

The iPhone, which combines a phone, Web browser and a music player, went on sale on Friday. About 2 percent of buyers have experienced delays in activating their service, a source said on Sunday.

Copyright 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
And because someone is going to say Treo sold more, here is the results of the latest quarter for Palm:

Summary: Best quarter ever for Palm, sold 750,000 Treos in quarter ending June 1, 2007

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=13100CVQVXYM

Palm Inc. reported a 43 percent plunge in fiscal fourth-quarter profit Thursday amid sharply rising costs and blistering competition.
But the maker of mobile computing devices also reported record sales of its Palm Treo lineup, and fourth-quarter performance easily beat Wall Street's tepid expectations.

For the three months ended June 1, the company said it earned $15.4 million, or 15 cents per share, on revenue of $401.3 million. In the year-ago period, Palm earned $27.2 million, or 25 cents per share, on sales of $403.1 million.

Excluding $5.4 million in stock-based compensation and other one-time charges, Palm said it earned $17.8 million, or 17 cents per share, compared with $30.6 million, or 29 cents per share, in the year-ago period.

On that basis, analysts were expecting earnings of $14.43 million, or 15 cents per share on sales of $406.58 million, according to a survey by Thomson Financial.

The Sunnyvale-based company reported record smart phone sales. Palm sold 750,000 Treos last quarter, up 43 percent from the year-ago quarter. Smart phones generated $344.2 million, up 14 percent from the fourth quarter of 2006.

<more at link>

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
lol - are you oalvarez in disguise! The Palm news i irrelevant!

Good for the iPhone...hopefully that many consumers/beta testers will get all the bugs worked out in time for when iPhone 2.0 comes out in 2008!

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Assuming the stores were open 25 hours this weekend, that's almost 1 sold every 6 seconds. Have to assume most of those were online.

I don't know about you, ut I don't think I've ever completed a Apple Store or cell phone store transaction in 6 minutes let along 6 seconds.

It's selling well, no doubt, but I think there might be some fudding of the numbers to keep the hype going.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Assuming the stores were open 25 hours this weekend, that's almost 1 sold every 6 seconds. Have to assume most of those were online.
By my maths it's a little under six sold every second.

I don't know about you, ut I don't think I've ever completed a Apple Store or cell phone store transaction in 6 minutes let along 6 seconds.
I'm pretty sure they weren't all sold at a single store that has a single checkout.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
By my maths it's a little under six sold every second.

I'm pretty sure they weren't all sold at a single store that has a single checkout.

I was rounding up...

Obviously, it's not a single checkout. But still, that's a spicy meatball to be churning that fast.

But they did sell one iPod every 3 seconds in Q4 of 2006, so maybe it's not far off (even though that included the holiday season).

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
You might want to read my post again. There's no sensible way to go from six per second to one every six seconds by 'rounding up'!

Sorry....need coffee.

Yes, 6 every second.

So that makes my thoughts that the FUD is in effect even greater.

I would be curious about the number of physical store purchases vs. online.

Well, at this rate, (6 per second), in about a year and a half, everyone in the US will have an iPhone!

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
lol - are you oalvarez in disguise! The Palm news i irrelevant!

Good for the iPhone...hopefully that many consumers/beta testers will get all the bugs worked out in time for when iPhone 2.0 comes out in 2008!

No, its just so the iPhone haters will see this already posted and leave the thread alone. This forum is so anti-iPhone its almost worthless. (Look at your post--calling the half million people who bought the iPhone a beta tester). I have posted about 20 different articles about the iPhone from tons of sources and just about everytime someone has to post a comment like yours or worse.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Let the haters be jealous.... those of us with an iPhone know what the experience is like and i'm not sure you can accurately describe it, people just have to use one. I'm someone who loved my 650, had it all customized and running great, but i would never recommend one to anyone. Out of the box they suck, they crash and they aren't a great phone. Now with a custom ROM and a bunch of software the 650 becomes an awesome device, but it takes work and patience. The iPhone is totally different, it does just about everything my 650 did and does it so much better that i really cant even compare the two. the iPhone is the best device i've ever owned hands down.

ohbw

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site
Let the haters be jealous.... those of us with an iPhone know what the experience is like and i'm not sure you can accurately describe it, people just have to use one. I'm someone who loved my 650, had it all customized and running great, but i would never recommend one to anyone. Out of the box they suck, they crash and they aren't a great phone. Now with a custom ROM and a bunch of software the 650 becomes an awesome device, but it takes work and patience. The iPhone is totally different, it does just about everything my 650 did and does it so much better that i really cant even compare the two. the iPhone is the best device i've ever owned hands down.

Ditto. I lost count of the hours -- 100, I'll bet -- I spent buying and downloading software for my 650 and 680, configuring it all, learning how to use it, following forum posts hither and yon to try to learn how to make the battery last long enough to walk from my desk to my car. Yeah, it worked when I was all done. Yeah, I tore out half my hair getting there, and went through every ugly customer service experience possible.

Plugged my iPhone into iTunes, registered it in five minutes, synced 6.5G of photos and all mail accounts and music and video in about 15. Then it started ringing and making calls and playing music and video and browsing the web and fetching and sending email perfectly. Called Apple with a question on Saturday evening -- while they were in the middle of selling a half a million iPhones -- and had a CSR on the phone in 3 minutes and an answer to my question 30 seconds later.

Different. Better. Adios, Palm! (I'm so happy to be saying that...)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2