iPhone didn't sell out at any Apple stores

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Another numbers estimate from Piper Jaffray in this CNET article. Again, the methodology for estimating the number isn't offered - the estimate for the % of new AT&T customers is by poll.
Global Equities Research also say around 500 000 for the first weekend.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Apple Inc. (AAPL.O: Quote,*Profile , Research) sold about 525,000 iPhones at Apple and AT&T Inc. (T.N: Quote,*Profile , Research) stores in the first weekend since its June 29 launch, the Los Angeles Times reported on Monday, citing an analyst.

Half of the Apple stores on the U.S. West Coast sold out of the devices on the first day, the report said, citing analyst Trip Chowdhry of Global Equities Research in San Francisco.

Chowdhry could not immediately be reached for comment. Apple and AT&T were not immediately available.
http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news...263881_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESS-APPLE-IPHONE-DC.XML

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Theyre now sold out in the DC area AFAIK. The Clarendon store said they sold out yesterday and i was told that the Tysons store was sold out as well, though i dont know for sure.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Nothing left in Chicago area now either. Apple Michigan Ave. refuses to answer as to when a new shipment is coming in. They claim they got one in Monday and sold out the same day.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
All of the AT&T stores in Middlesex County are sold out, as well as the Apple store here. Three people came in looking to buy an iPhone while I was at the AT&T store on Sunday. They claimed they had no idea there might be shortages of iPhones...those poor souls.

Treo Rat

Aug 20, 2002
edgarces.com
Yep this aint gonna sell no where near what T and Jobs thinks.

Look at the 12000 iPhones on ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

Last speculation was 700,000 iPhones sold in 3 days :D AT&T also confirmed that there are 600,000 iPhone activations to date. I also read somewhere that they had 3 million units for the launch, so if every store is now sold out, would you like to guess?

There are also a lot of people that are now just placing their orders because they wanted to wait for the first user-reviews and/or see it first hand before diving in and that number might even be a bigger surprise.

Treo Rat

Aug 20, 2002
edgarces.com
I have an Apple store a half a mile from my front door. I walked over on Friday evening just before six because I was curious about whether it was a zoo or not. The line was a block long, about 300 people, I would guess (in a relatively small town, Boulder).

There were more than 100 people lined up at the AT&T Store in Maui (Population: about 135,000). I did not get one because the store only had 20 to sell. The Apple Stores in Oahu were sold out Saturday afternoon and no more shipments after that.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
BASKING RIDGE, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Lightspeed Research, a leading global interactive data solutions provider, surveyed 39,000 people on its U.S. online panel in the days following the launch of the Apple iPhone on the 29th June.

Thirty-two percent of those who do not currently own an iPhone stated that they do intend to purchase one, with 8% planning to purchase in the next 3 months and 22% planning to purchase some time in the future.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20070712005648&newsLang=en

Not quite sure what the 8% is 8% of exactly; 8% of the US population would be ~24 million, 8% of phone US users would be ~16 million. *If* sales over the next three months were anything like that the iPhone would be an astonishingly popular device.

Those sort of numbers are in Nokia 1100 territory:

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/artic...ay-2007+RTRS&WTmodLoc=HybArt-L2-CompanyNews-3

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I'll believe these numbers when I see them in people's hands in the wild.

I have seen two since the 29th, and I am out frequently, all over Apple-land.

Either they are awaiting online shipment, or keeping them hidden.

I'm sure they are selling a lot...I just want to see it floating around like when the RAZR flushed the markets - everyone and thier dog had one.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
ATT stores didnt get nearly as many and it was taking them around 15-20 mins per customer just to sell them. It took Apple stores about 5 mins per customer. I've only seen a couple "in the wild" as well...

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Duke has already posted that this ws a Cisco problem and had nothing to do with the iPhone.
Did not intend to suggest that it was an "iPhone problem;" only that there were enough iPhones in the wild to aggravate one. Some here had suggested that they would not believe that any had sold because they had not seen one "in the wild."

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
In the duke stories they reported only 2 people using them.

Anyway, I've now seen one other person using one, at the bar in Alexander's in Cupertino.

Still, not as many sightings as i'd expect given the lines i saw wrapped around the at&t and apple stores out here.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

Anyway, I've now seen one other person using one, at the bar in Alexander's in Cupertino.

Still, not as many sightings as i'd expect given the lines i saw wrapped around the at&t and apple stores out here.

Most people probably have them in their pockets :) I don't see/notice many phones these days with BT earpieces being so common. I do see lots of people talking to themselves, which I'm used to from living on Grateful Dead tour (and living in Santa Cruz) :D

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

I just followed the link again. "A single iPhone was powerful enough to cause the problem, and there are 100 to 150 of them registered on the network, Cannon said. Network administrators have noticed the problem nine times in the past week."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2