10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
i did say "it might seem stupid that it can't"

hardly appologist....read more closely next time, thanks!

Of course that wasn't the whole quote:

it might seem stupid that the iPhone doesn't allow for such but customized ringers beyond what the iPhone already offers seems almost sophmoric in my opinion.

You are so FOS. If this was Palm we're talking about you'd slam them.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
3 things:

-Oalveraz silent on his Treo antenna breaking assertion, I supposed admitting he got his bluff called by asserting a falsehood.

did you by any chance see how many views some of the "broken antenna" related threads received? did you notice how many users out there actually were looking for second party manufacturers of antennas as trying to get one from Palm usually incurred having to submit the device for repair? and for crying out loud, the comment regarding "the antenna not breaking off" was in jest....go ahead, pull up my original comment (if not the original poster's comment regarding the iPhone's glass screen cracking) and you'll see that you're trying to make something out of nothing.

"falsehood"

antenna's breaking off do happen....hardly a falsehood. keep trying.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Personalized phones anyone? And yes, they're important to some for that very reason. And also to assign different ringtones to different callers.

you CAN assign different ringtones, you make it seem as though one can't. you just can't assign a boyz to men ringtone to a specific caller, and once again i will repeat that it seems stupid that one can't. i personally don't care to, the choices that are available to me seem sufficient, but then again, i don't use them.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
ha

oalveraz, you are such a liar, it's pathetic.

You were not joking on the antenna comment...you just didn't expect to get pwned so fast.

Who care about thread views? That is completely irrelevant.

Less than 6 (actually I think 4) cases of people dropping their Treo and breaking antenna of of how many millions sold?

Yes, it's a falsehood because you implied the problem was a common, known issue. It is not.

No need to try again - the first time was enough to show you were wrong.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
ringtones

And by the way, the use of ringtones is hardly sophomoric...it's big business.

Face it...Apple excluded it until they could figure out a way to make you pay for them.

But hey, they are just maximizing profit...the fact they got the Euroboys to cough up 10 percent of call and data revenue is a testament to their focus.

The fact they milked AT&T did surprise me, but to see the Euro telecomm bend over was surprising.

I wonder how long before Nokia, Sony, and the other start wanting a cut.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
you CAN assign different ringtones, you make it seem as though one can't. you just can't assign a boyz to men ringtone to a specific caller, and once again i will repeat that it seems stupid that one can't. i personally don't care to, the choices that are available to me seem sufficient, but then again, i don't use them.

Yeah, the incredibly LAME ones Apple saw fit to provide you with. :thumbsdn:

I would like the option to have a $500-$600 phone ring as I want it to! Just like my phones that costs even less allow you to!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
And by the way, the use of ringtones is hardly sophomoric...it's big business.

Face it...Apple excluded it until they could figure out a way to make you pay for them.

But hey, they are just maximizing profit...the fact they got the Euroboys to cough up 10 percent of call and data revenue is a testament to their focus.

The fact they milked AT&T did surprise me, but to see the Euro telecomm bend over was surprising.

I wonder how long before Nokia, Sony, and the other start wanting a cut.

Nokia and Sony better not start with that :censored: !!

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I reserve the right to have 'Cocaine' play when certain friends of mine call :D

oalvarez is the ultimate fanboy, he can't admit this is one of the things that truly sucks about the iPhone. And just because it may have 10 things (more or less) that suck doesn't mean it isn't a great phone for some people. But it does suck that you don't get this simple feature on a $600 phone. WhyTF not?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
What's really funny is Nokia's built in ringtones put Apple's to shame. They sound way better and they STILL allow you to use your own ringtones! SE won't give you many but you can use whatever you want from an installed memory card, another thing Apple decided we didn't need.

:thumbsdn: again.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
correction

Correction from previous post:

It did NOT surprise me to see AT&T get bent by Apple, but it did surprise me the Euroboys followed suit.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So besides feeling stupid, iPhone users also have reason to feel nervous... very nervous...

coolbreeze
macrumors regular

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to restore, and lost countless notes, all my visual voicemails, settings, etc. No my phone wasn't hacked.

Buyer beware. Apple either needs to fix the broken update process or give us a reliable way to back things up (i.e. integrate notes with the computer).

This is great. I had so many work notes, names, to-do lists.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. They are gone forever. For once I wish I still had my blackerry. At least it was solidly reliable with data/syncing/backing up/etc.

Edit: I was reading more on this, and as many have mentioned, it seems Apple decided to trash people's phones who added ringers, etc with ifuntastic, etc. I wasn't one of them, but here's my concern. SO WHAT if people wanted to put a silly ringtone on their phone. Apple decides to get revenge by WIPING their notes, voicemails, etc. Not cool, and certainly not cool if you use the phone for business. No, you shouldn't hack a business phone, but Apple shouldn't retaliate to this extreme. Imagine if in the future you load an "unsigned" app or something, innocently update to 1.1.4 or something, and BAM, everything's gone. It would have been one thing if Apple stated clearly "if you hacked your iPhone, all software updates will erase notes, voicemail, etc, etc."

...or they could have simply allowed us to make a working backup. I'm not referring to the iTunes copy that suddenly disappears during the update either.

Now, wonder why this happened to my phone? Makes me nervous, that's for sure.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4077602&postcount=164

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Why would anyone want native Apps? To some, the answer comes to mind rather easily.

- - Games, but No IM App Yet

scotty588 08-15-2007 03:22 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Games, but No IM App Yet

Don't get me wrong games are fun, but I am really dying for an iChat app. I haven't used "jailbreak" on my phone yet, but if someone comes out with an IM app I think I might. If people can make these games I am sure this is possible. Just my 2 cents.

AHDuke99 08-15-2007 05:38 PM

http://www.beejive.com/iphone/

scotty588 08-15-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one3 (Post 4053171)
http://www.beejive.com/iphone/

I am well aware of the many web apps for IMing. I am talking about actual apps that sit in the menu of the phone.

cmaier 08-16-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty588 (Post 4053451)
I am well aware of the many web apps for IMing. I am talking about actual apps that sit in the menu of the phone.

What would be the advantage of a native app over a web app like the new meebo client or beejive?

I always use web clients on my desktop for IM, so i'm just wondering. The only thing I can think of is a native client could at least turn off the screen and "wake up" on an incoming chat or something, but I'm imagining the radio polling is burning more battery than the screen.

The General 08-16-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Steve1496 08-18-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmaier (Post 4056346)
What would be the advantage of a native app over a web app like the new meebo client or beejive?

I always use web clients on my desktop for IM, so i'm just wondering. The only thing I can think of is a native client could at least turn off the screen and "wake up" on an incoming chat or something, but I'm imagining the radio polling is burning more battery than the screen.

I can think of several off the bat:
-Multitasking
-Screen wake/sleep
-Better integration
-Easy network reconnect in the event of a drop. Similar to what FlickIM has, but can usually be implemented better natively.
-Faster UI

kwjohns 08-18-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1496 (Post 4064184)
I can think of several off the bat:
-Multitasking
-Screen wake/sleep
-Better integration
-Easy network reconnect in the event of a drop. Similar to what FlickIM has, but can usually be implemented better natively.
-Faster UI

-Notification of a received IM via a popup, tone or vibrate.
-Don't have to download the images that make up the interface everytime you connect (could file under faster UI)

IDANNY 08-18-2007 08:32 PM

Not to mention the web apps disconnect you if you have your phone on standby. A phone app wouldnt do that.

racemize 08-20-2007 10:13 AM

it's needed for the notification (i.e., vibrate on receive like an sms or email message).
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=342307

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Well, there is one way to deal with critisms... ignore it.

cmaier 08-11-2007 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by The General (Post 4035924)
There are people who haven't jailbreak'd? :confused::eek:

What are you talking about? You've managed to blow this way out of proportion. You're reading between the lines and putting words in my mouth. Web apps are trash, period. That's all they are, straight up garbage. Every last one of them. Are you just bitter because you've wasted a lot of time on this junk?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=335882

Did you make those?

If you want to develop good programs, then write native apps. There are more people who have jailbreak'd and use these new native apps than there are people who want to look at this web 2.0 nonsense.

I'm not making a political statement at all. What I'm saying is that we don't need 30 different BeJeweled web apps, especially since they are all garbage.

I don't care whether or not you think my opinion is silly. It's silly of you to say something like that.

So, I will repeat:

I think web apps are absolutely useless garbage that need to disappear. None of them serve any purpose whatsoever, and they all half work. If you want to make an application, write a native one.

Rather than read any more of your childish nonsense, I'll just add you to my ignore list. You clearly have nothing worthwhile to say.
http://forums.macrumors.com/printthread.php?t=340337

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
iPhone who?

SD_HC032GT4_001.jpg

SD_HC032GT4_002.jpg

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news_details.php?id=14618

Even at 500 euros, it will still be cheaper to get a free smartphone and one of these cards than a crippled iPhone.

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Even an iphone user such as myself can admit that it is pretty sad to see all of the fanboys stick up for obvious drawbacks.

Who would want a native IM client? LOL

Why would you want more ringtones? LOL

Or the classic....Why did you buy it ASSUMING you would be able to do these things that EVERY OTHER PHONE does? <---My favorite.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Yep, no expandable memory sucks. The iPhone does have lots to like, but all the things that suck seem to be marketing decisions on how to maximize profits for Apple. (No expandable memory means you buy a new 16 GB model, then a 32, then a 64...) Sure this makes sense for their business but the degree this is true for the iPhone seems beyond any other phone. It is unnecessarily crippled in some areas until Apple figures out how to make another buck. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes all the good aspects a little less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner