10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Don't know, but I don't pinch. I tap. With one finger. Which part of tap was unclear? The lies continue.

I never said you couldn't tap with one hand.

If you don't want to answer the question fine.

Not a lie, just a fact which your fragile ego cannot withstand (which amazes me, as it's not that big an issue to say "the iPhone is best used with two hands".)

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I never said you couldn't tap with one hand.

If you don't want to answer the question fine.

Not a lie, just a fact which your fragile ego cannot withstand (which amazes me, as it's not that big an issue to say "the iPhone is best used with two hands".)

My goodness, you complain about having to use two hands to pinch, when you claim you know you can just tap to zoom. why pinch then, unless you want to zoom way in? Each time you post, it proves you have no idea how browsing on the iPhone works. Are you one of those types of people that have lied so much, you start believing yourself?

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Ok tough guy, please explain exactly what you mean here...

Please educate us all. I never use two hands when I browse. Are you saying that browsing on the iPhone is too difficult for you?

Why would i need to educate anyone? Anyone in the States can go try it themselves.

Try this, bubba. Put one hand in pocket/behind your back and try to use all the features of an iPhone for an hour and all the feature in a Treo for an hour. The iPhone is more difficult/slower (but the web sites look good!).
I've actually done this, unlike you.

Can't wait for you to do a couple portrait to landscape flips and type out a post.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Re: the comment earlier that 320x320 shows the "same amount of information" as 240x240 was flat out wrong. It does appear to be true for 480x480, but not the other way.

240x240:
Screen240x240.jpg

320x320:
Screen320x320.jpg

Of course I'm not sure why I'm bothering correcting the statement as it won't change anyone's minds on the matter, but correction is warranted for that statement since it was false. For myself, resolution is not a huge deal. Higher is nicer but it really comes down to what you use the device for: media/entertainment or email/business/PIM.

And, half joking here, but if I do want a full website view, I just fire up DeepFish. For a 240x240 screen it works for my needs. (oh the irony of the pic...)

Full Site

Screen002-23.png

Zoomed

Screen003-23.png

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I said 568, because Surur mentioned he had a 568. It was a mistake, as I think I had a 560. Now admit you lied about using an iPhone so we can all move on. By the way, quoting South Park and lying about your iPhone use is really not cool. Sad really.

You keep saying I am lying...but I am not. Sorry to burst your bubble.

So now it was a "mistake". Again not an apology, but close enough. (THe apologiy would be for your railings against me, when all I did was point out it wasn't 8 years.)

As for South Park, in this thread, it appears you've been FITA more times than Kenny's been killed.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Why would i need to educate anyone? Anyone in the States can go try it themselves.

Try this, bubba. Put one hand in pocket/behind your back and try to use all the features of an iPhone for an hour and all the feature in a Treo for an hour. The iPhone is more difficult/slower (but the web sites look good!).
I've actually done this, unlike you.

Can't wait for you to do a couple portrait to landscape flips and type out a post.

Or you can just answer the question and tell us how you came to the following conclusion....
I don't know what sites you vists and what your definition of browsing is, but doing it one handed is awkward and not easily doable.

Stop avoiding. How is browsing with one hand "awkward, and not easily doable"? Please answer.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
My goodness, you complain about having to use two hands to pinch, when you claim you know you can just tap to zoom. why pinch then, unless you want to zoom way in? Each time you post, it proves you have no idea how browsing on the iPhone works. Are you one of those types of people that have lied so much, you start believing yourself?

Question avoided again - Check.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Re: the comment earlier that 320x320 shows the "same amount of information" as 240x240 was flat out wrong. It does appear to be true for 480x480, but not the other way.

240x240:
Screen240x240.jpg

320x320:
Screen320x320.jpg

Of course I'm not sure why I'm bothering correcting the statement as it won't change anyone's minds on the matter, but correction is warranted for that statement since it was false. For myself, resolution is not a huge deal. Higher is nicer but it really comes down to what you use the device for: media/entertainment or email/business/PIM.

And, half joking here, but if I do want a full website view, I just fire up DeepFish. For a 240x240 screen it works for my needs. (oh the irony of the pic...)

Full Site

Screen002-23.png

Zoomed

Screen003-23.png

Got to fire up the simulator again. It is strange how in some threads you claim you want higher resolution, and here you say it really doesn't matter though.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Or you can just answer the question and tell us how you came to the following conclusion....

Stop avoiding. How is browsing with one hand "awkward, and not easily doable"? Please answer.

awk?ward (?kwrd)
adj.
1. Not graceful; ungainly.
a. Not dexterous; clumsy.
b. Clumsily or unskillfully performed: The opera was marred by an awkward aria.
a. Difficult to handle or manage: an awkward bundle to carry.
b. Difficult to effect; uncomfortable: an awkward pose.

One example:

Hold iPhone in one hand (portrait)
Go to site (I won't even go into typing it/ bookmark is fine)
Resize said site (thumbs taps)
Move around (thumb gestures, drag).
Rotate to landscape (now the heel of you hand is either at top or bottom of screen. Thumb movement is awkward)
Try tapping and dragging repeatedly.

The simple answer to this is to just use two hands.

It's so obvious, are you sure YOU even own and iPhone?

Now if you have some 7 inch monkey thumb, I suppose it's not too bad.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
One example:

Hold iPhone in one hand (portrait)
Go to site (I won't even go into typing it/ bookmark is fine)
Resize said site (thumbs taps)
Move around (thumb gestures, drag).
Rotate to landscape (now the heel of you hand is either at top or bottom of screen. Thumb movement is awkward)
Try tapping ans dragging repeatedly.

The simple answer to this is to just use two hands.

It's so obvious, are you sure YOU even own and iPhone?

Now if you have some 7 inch monkey thumb, I suppose it's not too bad.

Anybody that has used an iPhone (unlike you), will tell you many of these steps are often not need. Most of the time I go to the site, I double tap once in the middle of the page, and it fits the screen fine. I scroll up and down very easily with one finger. When you finally do try out an iPhone you will see how incorrect you have been (or is it lying). Let us know then. Maybe when you do your next sales rearch trip to the apple store you can spend some time with the actual device.

You also can avoid almost everything you posted about by not going to the horizontal mode. I prefer to browse vertically, and can be handled very well with one hand. Give it a go and try an actual device out Mike. You might like it.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Expected content of the next 15 posts :

mikec: are you sure you have an iPhone?
mobileman: Liar
mikec: Liar

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Anybody that has used an iPhone (unlike you), will tell you many of these steps are often not need. Most of the time I go to the site, I double tap once in the middle of the page, and it fits the screen fine. I scroll up and down very easily with one finger. When you finally do try out an iPhone you will see how incorrect you have been (or is it lying). Let us know then. Maybe when you do your next sales rearch trip to the apple store you can spend some time with the actual device.

You also can avoid almost everything you posted about by not going to the horizontal mode. I prefer to browse vertically, and can be handled very well with one hand. Give it a go and try an actual device out Mike. You might like it.

Um, you asked for an example. I provide. Instead of saying "oh yea, that's correct.", you spin and spin.

If it works for you, fine. I just find it a little too "interactive". And yes, i still stand by my statement that one-handed use of the iPhone is not the wonderful nirvana you make it out to be.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
Two-handed is not a lie. "For the most part" is the piece you miss. And didn't that other fellow (vint?) just imply such? If it was so easy to use one handed, I think more people would be weighing in on this.

Please explain how you pinch to zoom with one hand? (unless you iPhone is laying on another surface.)

I can pinch to zoom in or out with thumb and index finger while anchoring the iphone on my palm with the other 3 fingers. While it's not the most convenient movement, it's doable, works, and is necessary for 1-handed use in iSafari.

I dunno; maybe your experience has been different than mine, but I haven't had any problems using the iphone 1 handed. I'd say 1 handed thumb typing is actually easier on the iphone than it was on the treo, due to the extra space beneath the bottom of the virtual keyboard.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Expected content of the next 15 posts :

mikec: are you sure you have an iPhone?

Liar.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Braj, I invite you to try it yourself at the apple store. You will see for yourself, that Mikes comments are not based on reality.

I did try it out and personally, I don't see how you really can effectively use the iPhone with one hand most of the time. But then most of the time I use two hands on my Treo anyway, so except for some situations it isn't that huge of an issue for me.

But you responded to my post without acknowledging you were wrong aboout what Mike had said, and since my post you continue to say he is a liar. You really have lost it here dude, you were caught saying an untruth (I'm not saying you were lying) but you continue to call mikec's opinions lies. Give up calling him a liar. You may disagree but he's not lying.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Um, you asked for an example. I provide. Instead of saying "oh yea, that's correct.", you spin and spin.

If it works for you, fine. I just find it a little too "interactive". And yes, i still stand by my statement that one-handed use of the iPhone is not the wonderful nirvana you make it out to be.

I asked for an example that shows how people really use the iPhone, not some strange combination of techniques that are not common. Go try an iPhone.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I did try it out and personally, I don't see how you really can effectively use the iPhone with one hand most of the time. But then most of the time I use two hands on my Treo anyway, so except for some situations it isn't that huge of an issue for me.

But you responded to my post without acknowledging you were wrong aboout what Mike had said, and since my post you continue to say he is a liar. You really have lost it here dude, you were caught saying an untruth (I'm not saying you were lying) but you continue to call mikec's opinions lies. Give up calling him a liar. You may disagree but he's not lying.

I use the iPhone everyday. More than a quick fifteen minute trial in the apple store. I browse very well one handed. Maybe you have some type of strange muscular problem that forces you to browse with your device with two hands. Afterall, you use two hands for your treo (can't seem to figure out why).

MikeC is lying because he is posting things here that are not true. I have no idea about the rest of your paragraph because it is kind of unreadable.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I use the iPhone everyday. More than a quick fifteen minute trial in the apple store. I browse very well one handed. Maybe you have some type of strange muscular problem that forces you to browse with your device with two hands. Afterall, you use two hands for your treo (can't seem to figure out why).

MikeC is lying because he is posting things here that are not true. I have no idea about the rest of your paragraph because it is kind of unreadable.

I didn't say browsing specifically, but I'm sure doing a pinch is much easier with two hands as the device really was designed for two handed use. I'm sure you'll agree is more functional with two hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR