10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Yes, Jobs made an agreement with Yahoo for them to provide Blackberry-like service for iPhone customers. I don't care what AnteL0pe says. Jobs wants to the iPhone to be a smartphone!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Yes, Jobs made an agreement with Yahoo for them to provide Blackberry-like service for iPhone customers. I don't care what AnteL0pe says. Jobs wants to the iPhone to be a smartphone!

Yes, Jobs wants the iPhone to be a smartphone. Can we move on now? Or do you have to have Steve call you himself to tell you this?

not sure what any of this validates. so silly.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
How about: despite him trying to make it a smartphone, it isn't there yet? That's what the posters who keep saying the iPhone isn't "capable" mean. That's how it relates to this thread.

And I'm getting tired of you using that term. What's not important to you could be to someone else!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
it's important to somewhat else how you feel about Steve Job's comments/supposed comments? huh?

again, not sure what you're after. let consumer america decide for themselves what a product is and what it is not. works for some, doesn't work for others. you say it isn't capable, the other guy says it is. tomato, tomatoe......big deal!!!!!

so silly, really.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
My ideal browser would be something with an RSS reader built in, like a successor and expansion on traditional bookmarks. You could also have a way to toggle defaulting to mobile or full versions of sites. You have the mobile site load normally, and have the full site launch in full-screen mode ala Safari or OperaMini 4. so depending on what version you wanted to view you could go either way. I definitely think mobile-specific sites can give a better mobile experience vs full desktop sites, we just need to evolve the mobile versions to be the best they can be.

So what we need is a mobile firefox. Don't see why not, as it is open source, after all. Firefox mini! I'd be all over that.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So what we need is a mobile firefox. Don't see why not, as it is open source, after all. Firefox mini! I'd be all over that.

Thats what minimo is. Its a bit heavy however, but probably runs fine in 128 MB ram and 624 Mhz processor.

BTW, have you tried bloglines. It feels like what you are talking about. I have 72 sites in my bloglines feed. I can see which ones are updated, the RSS feeds feel like mobile sites, and when the feed is no full, if I click on the headline it opens the full site using skweezer.

I think its brilliant, and you should really give it a try.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
More update woes.

- iPhone update screwed up my phone!
onelegtwoshoes 08-02-2007 08:36 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iPhone update screwed up my phone!

So I downloaded the iPhone update the other day, installed it and everything was cool. Today I go to update some song lists....and....BLAMO! Total siezure! I was like WTF!:eek: My iPhone was just vibrating away in its dock and not connecting to iTunes or my computer. So here is a list of stuff I tried.

Unistall/Re-install of iTunes-----No good.
Switching out USB ports-----No good.
Switching out USB cables-----No Good.
Switching out USB cables and ports at the same time----No Good.

Tried plugging in iPod----works perfectly.

Called Apple tech----long story short.....

I have to get a complete replacement because iPhones are genetically predisposed to have seizures.:(

If you know of any tricks or have similar experiences, please let me know. It might brighten my day.

Thanks.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=336901

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So much for push e-mail just like blackberry...

- - What percentage of your Yahoo emails are actually "pushed"?

tann1001 08-03-2007 04:23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What percentage of your Yahoo emails are actually "pushed"?

Putting aside all comments about how it is not real push email etc. I'm wondering how well it is working for other people? For me I would say that around 45%-50% actually get pushed within say a minute of the email being sent. The other times they only show up when I manually check. Occasionally they will be pushed 10-20 minutes after they are sent (which may actualy just be the phone manually checking or something).

I've tried removing the email from the phone and adding it again, and I've tried hard resets etc. I'm just wondeing if I'm having more of a problem than other iPhone users.

I have noticed that there is greater chance if the email being pushed if the phone is awake with the display on, and not asleep. Im using a Yahoo plus ($20/year) account that i have had for a couple of years.

cowboy1964 08-03-2007 04:46

I'd say I'm getting less than 25% of mine pushed and of those only 10% notify me, the rest just are there when I manually go to the Inbox. What's funny is I got two in a row, with notification, right after I upgraded to 1.01 then it stopped working again.

I'm usually on Wi-Fi though and I heard that push really only works on EDGE. But even on EDGE it's not really working.

MotionUS 08-03-2007 04:53

just stopped using yahoo. If you store emails in your imap folders, I have found that yahoo deletes emails randomly. Switch before it happens to you. This has been discussed in the apple support forums as well.

The Answer 08-03-2007 08:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionUS
just stopped using yahoo. If you store emails in your imap folders, I have found that yahoo deletes emails randomly. Switch before it happens to you. This has been discussed in the apple support forums as well.

IMAP folders? Is this for premium members only? When I log into my Yahoo account it has no option to enable IMAP. The first week that I bought the iPhone it was actually pushing email to it via my Yahoo email address but then it stopped after a week. Someone on these forums said that as long as you setup your iPhone to your Yahoo account it will automatically use IMAP, but this hasnt been proven.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1214779

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
More Keyboard Korner Kases - the case of the `

- - If you can figure this out you're a genius.

tonyayo 08-01-2007 21:07

If you can figure this out you're a genius.

I have contracts with Fox. I need access to a MySpace account that uses this character as part of the login: ` (note: that is the key right next to the 1 key on the keyboard, ~/`). Now, just my luck, that is the only key the iPhone is missing. Thus, I cannot access the special account.

Any ideas?

xcharliemx 08-01-2007 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyayo
I have contracts with Fox. I need access to a MySpace account that uses this character as part of the login: ` (note: that is the key right next to the 1 key on the keyboard, ~/`). Now, just my luck, that is the only key the iPhone is missing. Thus, I cannot access the special account.

Any ideas?

Check your other thread?

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5&highlight=key

dawgbonez 08-01-2007 21:18

try going to the number/special keyboard....then hit the up arrow on the left side of the keyboard

tonyayo 08-01-2007 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcharliemx
Check your other thread?

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5&highlight=key

Only Syncs URL's not cookies. So that's a no go.

Called Apple - they couldn't do it, if someone can figure it out I think they should apply for a job.

JerryNY 08-01-2007 21:26

Maybe change the login lol. I can't seem to find that character on the iPhone. I can't recall ever using that character on my desktops too often either though.

dawgbonez 08-01-2007 21:27

Quote:

Called Apple - they couldn't do it, if someone can figure it out I think they should apply for a job.

my suggestion didn't work?

isn't it called a tildy(puncuation)?
~~~~~~~~~~

Admiral_Ant 08-01-2007 21:38

the tilde is this guy ~, I believe he is looking for the ` which is what happens if you press shift then the tilde key on a normal computer, this is not the case for the Iphone unfortunately.

tonyayo 08-01-2007 21:39

Login is unchangeable. Contracts.

xcharliemx 08-01-2007 21:41

Quote:

I would say pull up this thread on the phone and copy and paste it but.....

tonyayo 08-01-2007 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcharliemx
I would say pull up this thread on the phone and copy and paste it but.....

Yup right now I am trying to figure out if there is a URL for MySpace that is like this: "http://login.myspace.com/index.cfm?my@email.com" So I can replace the my@email.com with the special character combo. Any of you guys have any suggestions? Any JavaScript code out there to help me out?

mcdj 08-01-2007 22:07

This looks promising...

http://passpack.wordpress.com/2007/...-plugin-needed/

You sign up for a free Passpack account, enter your login info for the site you want Passpack to store, then bookmark their autologin bookmarklet to Safari.

According to them, it works on any browser. If you try it, good luck!

rickpaul2 08-01-2007 22:18

Can you go to this webpage on your safari browser and copy the ` symbol from the chat? Then paste that character into the login box.

P.S. The safari browser is not a very great browser to work with. You should have backup plans when certain things dont work, such as a laptop with wireless.

ckipel 08-01-2007 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaul2
Can you go to this webpage on your safari browser and copy the ` symbol from the chat? Then paste that character into the login box.

P.S. The safari browser is not a very great browser to work with. You should have backup plans when certain things dont work, such as a laptop with wireless.

The iPhone doesn't have a copy and paste function (yet)

dirty water 08-01-2007 22:22

Just email yourself the link, and you should be able to open the link from your iPhone's email. Then bookmark it in Safari.

dawgbonez 08-01-2007 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty water
Just email yourself the link, and you should be able to open the link from your iPhone's email. Then bookmark it in Safari.

beat me to it...

log into your myspace place first using the remember me/cookie check box...at your profile screen ...copy the urlthen send that URL to your Iphone via email...

hard_core 08-01-2007 22:26

create a webpage, put the link in the webpage. click on the link instead of manually entering the url/login

tonyayo 08-01-2007 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj
This looks promising...

http://passpack.wordpress.com/2007/...-plugin-needed/

You sign up for a free Passpack account, enter your login info for the site you want Passpack to store, then bookmark their autologin bookmarklet to Safari.

According to them, it works on any browser. If you try it, good luck!

iPhone doesn't allow that... it is a javascript URL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbonez
beat me to it...

log into your myspace place first using the remember me/cookie check box...at your profile screen ...copy the urlthen send that URL to your Iphone via email...

That would be easy but it does not work that way... I would need to copy the cookie over.

troutspinner 08-01-2007 22:50

Am I missing something? Tilde is .?123 key then #+= key then ~~~~~~~

Typing this from iPhone now.

mcdj 08-01-2007 22:54

I just logged onto myspace for the first time in a while and it didn't ask me for my user name/password, it asked for my email address/password. I've been to sites that changed their login methods but it took a long time before I noticed it because I was always logged in.

So I'm wondering if you log out and log back in, maybe you'll be prompted for an email address instead of your user name?

feej92 08-01-2007 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutspinner
Am I missing something? Tilde is .?123 key then #+= key then ~~~~~~~

Typing this from iPhone now.

he's asking about ` not ~.

same key, different character.

Gene Rayburn 08-01-2007 23:07

I don't know how bookmarklets work in the iPhone, but if you could bookmark this and then go to it when you visit myspace, it should enter the ` into the email field for you.

javascript:void(document.theForm.email.value="`")

hate12 08-01-2007 23:29

URL encoding.

The ` is equal to %60 so put that in the url and enjoy

see example below.

Code:
http://login.myspace.com/index.cfm?...=my_email@email.com&password=`some_tick_thing

Then u never have to type in user/pass, it acts like an "auto" login. I use this type all the time.

mcdj 08-01-2007 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Rayburn
I don't know how bookmarklets work in the iPhone, but if you could bookmark this and then go to it when you visit myspace, it should enter the ` into the email field for you.

javascript:void(document.theForm.email.value="`")

I can confirm this works.

I just bookmarked this bookmarklet (copy/paste in the URL window, hit enter, then drag the URL into the bookmarks bar) then synched with the iPhone, went to myspace.com, waited for the page to finish loading, tapped bookmarks, went to bookmarks bar, tapped the javascript bookmarklet, and voila, ` was pasted into the email box.

Gene, you've come a long way since Match Game.

Gene Rayburn 08-01-2007 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate12
URL encoding.

The ` is equal to %60 so put that in the url and enjoy

see example below.

Code:
http://login.myspace.com/index.cfm?...=my_email@email.com&password=`some_tick_thing

Then u never have to type in user/pass, it acts like an "auto" login. I use this type all the time.

This doesn't seem to work. I was also intially trying this, however for some reason Myspace refuses to log in (it gives this weird 15 minutes error, which you also get if you don't include &email and &password tags, meaning that it isn't reading those tags)

Quote:
I can confirm this works.

I just bookmarked this bookmarklet (copy/paste in the URL window, hit enter, then drag the URL into the bookmarks bar) then synched with the iPhone, went to myspace.com, waited for the page to finish loading, tapped bookmarks, went to bookmarks bar, tapped the javascript bookmarklet, and voila, ` was pasted into the email box.

Gene, you've come a long way since Match Game.

If Gene were still alive, he'd definitely buy an iPhone.

tonyayo 08-02-2007 00:23

now i have to figure out how to get that damn javascript onto the bookmarks!

javascript:void(document.theForm.email.value="```")

tonyayo 08-02-2007 00:35

okay - how do i get that javascript link on my bookmarks? it's funny, i have been computer programming for 12 years... god this is embarrassing... :reallysad

mcdj 08-02-2007 00:37

Quote:
okay - how do i get that javascript link on my bookmarks? it's funny, i have been computer programming for 12 years... god this is embarrassing... :reallysad

dood I just explained it in my last post.

tonyayo 08-02-2007 00:39

Quote:
dood I just explained it in my last post.

i got it in IE no problem - my phone isn't syncing with IE...

mcdj 08-02-2007 00:54

install Safari for Windows.

tonyayo 08-02-2007 01:07

i normally use firefox, i just set IE as my default browser and i am reinstalling itunes and crossing my fingers.

underpaid 08-02-2007 01:45

Simple solution

Are you aware that the auto correct feature uses names from your address book ?

Make an address entry on your PC/Mac and sync, then the iPhone will pick it up as auto correct. Obviously you have to start with something unique, try:
"genius`", when you start to type "Geni" then the rest will be suggested, the just delete "genius" and you're all set.

Hope this helps......

pinkstog 08-02-2007 01:48

I guess you can't just change the password

tonyayo 08-02-2007 02:04

got it working. amazing. thanks everyone. you guys should send this thread to apple. :clapping:

dawgbonez 08-02-2007 15:12

Quote:
got it working. amazing. thanks everyone. you guys should send this thread to apple. :clapping:

Kewl.....how did you do it? :silly:

cantuchristoph 08-02-2007 17:15

same problem here, but the ` is needed for a network password, and I can't ask for it to be changed. Am I stuck using edge on my iphone at work?

xcharliemx 08-02-2007 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantuchristoph
same problem here, but the ` is needed for a network password, and I can't ask for it to be changed. Am I stuck using edge on my iphone at work?

can you get the IT manager to change your password?

rickpaul2 08-02-2007 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckipel
The iPhone doesn't have a copy and paste function (yet)

What? That is terrible.

akura2 08-03-2007 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbonez
Kewl.....how did you do it? :silly:

ya.. what did you do to get it to work?... not that I have an iPhone OR and email with that ` character... I'm just curious

topic7 08-03-2007 03:54

what about using a bluetooth keyboard?

eclipxe 08-03-2007 04:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by topic7
what about using a bluetooth keyboard?

LOL. The iPhone doesn't support bluetooth keyboards.

tonyayo 08-03-2007 05:14

I got it to work via javascript link in Safari on the iPhone.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213828

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Childishness aside, we await your Mogul review.

dislikes so far:

-no automatic screen orientation without opening the keyboard (is this right?)

-resolution...could be better but it is acceptable (spoiled by the Pearl and iPhone)

-browser experience (spoiled by the iPhone) but better than Blazer

-the almost unaccessable scroll bars (i refuse to use a stylus) when wanting to quickly jump to the top/bottom of a page

-navigating within the user interface and menus...a bit clumsy and busy, requires many button pushes to get to areas ("Settings" is just a button push away on the iPhone and everything is on a single page...i like that)

-12.76mb ram remaining with only Internet Explorer and Email open in the background....and i still don't have Goodlink installed which eats a lot of memory (always on).....used the camera and had only 10mb left.....ok'd out of the programs and it became slightly hesitant going back to the Today/Home screen

-lots of buttons, gadgety aspect of it

-sliding out the keyboard to type....also feels like the sliding mechanism will become loose with time but only time will tell there.

likes so far:

-phone/earpiece volume is plenty loud

-screen brightness is adequate

-screen size.....much better than a Treo and my Pearl

-EVDO is nice

-wifi

-spacious keyboard...i have no trouble typing on it, but then again, i don't have any real trouble typing on my Pearl (tiny, requires a bit more attention) or iPhone. the typing experience is a very positive one. i like the keyboard layout as well.

-form factor.....small footprint, not too bulky....more pocketable than a Treo (in my estimation).

-camera functionality and related options/settings

-outlook email (attachments)

-one handedness believe it or not

-gadgety aspect of it (yep, a dislike as well)

-bells and whistles...lots of stuff to fiddle with

-much improved Sprint reception/coverage at my home and place of work

will continue to add/subtract as i go along......one thing i am absolutely certain of; there is nothing like the user or internet browsing experience that the iPhone offers. the other thing you might note is that i didn't mention 3rd party applications or an open file system because those truly aren't needs/requirements of mine on a WM device (with the exception of Goodlink). again, these are just my opinions and thoughts.

regards
it does help, and i know many of us look to you as the authority on these ppc devices and especially the slideouts.

thanks very much for taking the time to post the links and the like, much appreciated. i will try and make use out of them.

as for the device, i can see how it would be just perfect for that someone with real "office" type needs/requirements, HTC did a good job in its design. i'd carry the Mogul (given my needs/wants/desires) over the current Treo lineup all day long.

ok, big time gripe....2+ mb of ram left which has basically rendered PIE useless. here is what is open:

java
comm manager
internet explorer
email
camera

that is what really truly bugs me about the WM operating system. symbian, apple, i'm sure they have their problems, but i yet to experience this type of issue on my own Pearl and iPhone. it's issues such as these that make me want to return the device, tomorrow. and all of this without even having Goodlink running in the background. not right.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Oalvarez, I wonder if you appreciate some of the little touches in WM6, such as the smart dialer application, or that your recent calls are now stored with the contact you are dialing.

BTW, there is a registry edit to increase the width of the scroll bar (if that really really bothers you).

Also have you customized the menus and buttons to your preferences?

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
BTW, there is a registry edit to increase the width of the scroll bar (if that really really bothers you).

Registry and scrollbars. Two things I don't want to see anymore on my cellphone.

Plus a 240x320 screen is the same resolution Windows Mobile (pocket pc) devices have had for 10 years now.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Registry and scrollbars. Two things I don't want to see anymore on my cellphone.

Plus a 240x320 screen is the same resolution Windows Mobile (pocket pc) devices have had for 10 years now.

I'd rather have that that have to put my device in boot loader mode to add ring tones, or use java script bookmark-let to add a little-used character.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I'd rather have that that have to put my device in boot loader mode to add ring tones, or use java script bookmark-let to add a little-used character.

Surur

I'd rather have neither.

Why is the resolution of this device the same as my old jornada 560? Why doesn't MS support 480x320? I just cant get excited for a device with this old resolution anymore. The screen is the one thing everybody uses any time they look at their device.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I'd rather have neither.

Why is the resolution of this device the same as my old jornada 560? Why doesn't MS support 480x320? I just cant get excited for a device with this old resolution anymore. The screen is the one thing everybody uses any time they look at their device.

I also prefer higher resolutions, but there is nothing magical about 480x320. Its only double 240x320. Ive had a VGA-screened device since 2004 (PDA and then pda-phone).

240x320 has become something of a standard, and its widely used by many phone manufacturers, both dumb and smartphones. Its going to be around for a long time.

Personally, for me next device, I am moving up to 800x480.

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh