10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Surur you are changing the subject. I have admitted to every flaw in the device. (And it's still a better pdf viewer because i can see an entire page and read it. At 240x240, you cannot. I can also zoom and navigate it more easily. I know, I've tried it on WM, and everyone who i know who has WM prefers iphone for this task. And I can email a pdf to someone else as well. No, i can't search it, but since all pdfs i deal with are not ocr'd, i wouldn't be able to do this on my desktop, either. And zooming with two fingers is damned helpful when you have a giant pdf that you want to navigate almost as quickly as a stack of paper, so your flippant comment is just ignorant and more evidence you've never tried it).

Now, back to the subject. You said "iphone users demand so little." You continue to insist that anyone who values different features than you, or has different needs than you, or who values a few quality features over quantity of features, is irrational, naive, has low standards, etc. It's disrespectful, and judging by the general lack of people rushing to your defense, it's obviously so.

It's fine to disagree with me, and it's fine to state facts and present arguments, but starting a few pages ago all you've come up with is, essentially, "the fact that you have different needs and requirements than me is illegitimate."

And the fact that you think pdf viewing on your device is as good as on iphone is just another example of you straying from your safety zone of relying on copying first-hand reports; anyone who's actually TRIED an iphone and a WM device would be hard-pressed to summarily declare "my device is a better pdf viewer." That's like arguing Word is the best html editor, because it offers mail merge.

Um, the measure of someone's comments is not how many people rush to his defense. That seems like an odd metric, esp. in the forum world.

I think this is all about the superlatives (or lack thereof). Instead of "low" many times it should be lowers.

There are functions, and there are how well function are implemented for the user. Users vary in their implementation desire

Arguing one feature (PDF) is pointless, as you (the general you) could go tit-for-tat all day. Usually, the summation of certain features provide the critical threshold for someone to be "satisfied" with their device.

The other thing is you have to look at the relevant comparisons. MobileOSX is new, Palm OS is over 10 years old, and WM5 is, what 1 year and a half (someone correct me), and WM6 is new. Even at the OS level, there are significant differences.

Apple chooses not to include features that other PDA/smartphones/phone have). That's thier choice. I liken this to MS locking WM screen sizes back in the early days (they have now opened that up.) BUt that constraint was a pain, even though I they were doing it for consistent experience (their desgin choice). However, MS did not make the hardware, so there is a difference in control there.

For some, that's fine, for other's it's not. C'est la vie.

I used to use Palm Treos, and put up with an enormous amount of issues (resets, etc.) because the form factor worked best for me. I switched to WM5 Treo, and was concerned about the screen resolution drop and interface. You know what? I adjusted, and appreacited the fact that the device was much more stable and easier to intergrate with my laptop. Is it perfect? Nope, but it works for me (until something better emerges.) And surprisingly, I can take whatever criticism people level on the Treo and WM and address them without feeling my honor has been impugned.

Unfortunately, the key things for which I use the Treo are areas where the iPhone does not have the same feature/flexibilty. No knock against anyone else. Maybe the iPhone will have this some day. Who knows.

However, the hype level around the iPhone (and to be honest, the apologistic nature of many on other forums that give Apple a pass on issues) is what is getting some well deserved lumps. Buit those lumps help make things better (albeit not as fast as many would like).

And yes, I have used an iPhone, and yes, it's slick and cool (and frustrating in some spots).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
You are sticking to your own definition of "capable." Not everyone needs to do what you do with their phone. If people just want the best mobile browser on the planet, email, text messaging, phone, decent camera plus a lot more then this phone is indeed capable. I have no need to be restricted to a smaller, less clear screen. I have no need to use outlook on my personal phone, I have no need for most of what you are claiming the iPhone can't do. So how is any other device any more capable than the iPhone if the iPhone does everything i need it to?

The world does not revolve around you and your requirements. All devices are not equally capable. This is a fact. Why you would even argue this is beyond me.

Your implication here is derogatory and shows the failure of your argument. My requirements aren't "lower" than yours, theyre different. I require a larger screen, better browser, more stable OS, cleaner interface and style. I could say that anyone who doesnt require those has "low requirements," but that would be stupid because different people value different features more/less.

I never said I dont want those things too. However, I ALSO want open access to the file system, 3rd party apps, 3G, open push e-mail and options and features not provided by the iPhone. Thats why my requirements are higher, and yours are... lower.

Why do you have a problem with this simple equation.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I don't think I ever complain about people having different views.

As far as the number of posts, I'm not sure that is ever relevant (except maybe for the super-noob with one posts saying "I just got the inside scoop and the a 30GB, 3G, fully open iPhone is coming on Dec 1 and it's $199!"). :)

I agree, Malatesta was the one explaining whose posts are valid and whose are not. Maybe you should bring that up in your next "My cellphone can see animated .gifs and your cant. Therefore your phone sucks" club.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Mobileman,

your requirements are illegitimate. It is proper to want to view gigantic animated gifs, but not proper to want to read the ny times with full formating. it is proper to want to be able to save pdfs on your phone, but not to be able to view stunning movies on it. it is improper to accept 320x480, and you should be willing to accept a pocket-busting form factor.

if you weren't such a newbie, you would know that you are simply not asking enough from your phone.

Exactly!!!!

Surur, Please tell me what device your viewing full webpages on. Is it your mini notebook (the HTC Universal), or your 320x240 HTC Touch?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Look, some-one returned the iphone because its less capable. He should have know it was just "differently" capable.

- why iReturned.
Fit Dennis 07-30-2007 01:57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why iReturned.

I did it. My beloved iPhone went back today. The last day of the return policy. Here's why iReturned

Email- It's Beautiful, but not as complex as I'm used to. On my Blackberry BIS all mail sent from my handheld is also in the sent box on my online server. And now that HTML email is available on Blackberry I'm at no loss.
My Fiancee and I will have full on email conversations since she sits at a desk all day and I'm on the go, so waiting 15 mins to get email was downright painful. Manually retreiving every time is not an elegant solution.
And not having the ability to mark multiple items racked my nerves everytime my email went off. Which brings me to the fact I couldn't set different alerts for different email accounts. This is HUGE for me as I make full use of 5 different accounts. Some I want instant notification. Some I don't. Some are more urgent than others. Blackberry allows me to hear a different alert for each account and alows me to decide whether to take out the device to deal with it at that time or not.

SMS- As a event promoter on the side I often send SMS messages to upwards of 700 people at one time. Blackberry alows me to make a group of all those people and select the group as the recipient. Enough said. Blackberry also shows as a chat just not as pretty.

Maps- I thought I'd miss this until iRemembered Beyond411 for blackberry. Exact same functionality. No loss

MP3- As much as I use my iPod I was SEVERELY limiting my phone time use. So I'm back to my 80gig Ipod and Blackberry Curve.

There's more but these where the biggies. I went through 5 iPhones. in 14 days. That's just not kosher. I'll try it again when they give me a replaceable battery
(http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1211953)

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
yes.

Unlike surur, who has now resorted to "it just is!" as an argument, while ignoring my repeated assertions that being able to view an entire page in readable form and being able to navigate effortlessly are the reason why. (And yes, his higher resolution is even better, but that still doesn't buy him the ease of navigation. And I believe that's one gigantic device.)

He also now is arguing in a loop. iphone users have low requirements because the iphone can't do much. Not that it can't do much that HE IS INTERESTED IN, mind you. It just can't do much. How does he know it can't do much? because iphone users have low requirements. That is why any time an iphone user points out a useful feature or benefit they derive from the device it doesn't count. iphone can do pinch and spread to zoom? that's only impressive because iphone users are dolts; ease of document navigation is not a legitimate feature. iphone has an incredible screen for viewing movies? iphone users value features that are not important. That's just bling. iphone can do email better than can versamail on palm? that can't be good enough for anyone, because some other phone can do it even better, and therefore iphone users have low requirements. (what? you mean you don't need lotus notes connectivity? troglodyte!) iphone fits in your pocket, unlike whatever beast of a device allows easy viewing of pdfs? get bigger pockets!

There's a difference, which I think people recognize, between pointing out differences between devices and shortcomings of devices, and refusing to acknowledge that one user's requirements are just as legitimate as another's.

I think it's much easier to discuss a device than a person. The device is (relatively) static, while people vary. A 18 year old who has never had corporate job might not have certain "requirements (needs)", or not even realized them before they take a job. Then, through experience, their needs change. So if you don't know "now" that you need something in the "future", does that mean your requirements are "low"? I don't think so. They are just are what they are.

Different does not only apply to "high" and "low". It also applies to "inclusion" and absence of function.

The device (hardware and OS and apps) can be examined a bit more objectively.

The latest HD DVD or Blu-Ray movie is useless unless I have the player. And even if I have the player, it won't look to swell on that analog 3:4 TV I have.
Similarly, the nice web browser experience is not "worth" it to some, as the other gaps are too hard to overcome (at this time).

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Look, some-one returned the iphone because its less capable. He should have know it was just "differently" capable.

(http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1211953)

Surur

Stop the presses, Surur has discovered somebody that has returned their iPhone. This clearly proves all his points. The iPhone is doomed.

I'm moving back to Windows Mobile because I have to have animated gifs. Classic.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Stop the presses, Surur has discovered somebody that has returned their iPhone. This clearly proves all his points. The iPhone is doomed.

I'm moving back to Windows Mobile because I have to have animated gifs. Classic.

If you read that person's posts, they had some legit reasons. Why not address those, rather than surur's post.

I sure don't have the need to send 700 SMS messages at once (ex. groups), but some people do. And I guess the iPhone's SMS client does not have that yet. Dealbreaker for me? No, but it was for someone.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Surur, Please tell me what device your viewing full webpages on.

I can use either, but its better on the VGA screen. I can then cut and paste on either, and post the comments into this thread. I can then download a gif from somewhere and upload it to imageshack, like this.

owned-puddle.jpg

I can then view the post in full on either device

I guess they are more capable devices, independent of the resolution or size of the screen.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I can use either, but its better on the VGA screen. I can then cut and paste on either, and post the comments into this thread. I can then download a gif from somewhere and upload it to imageshack, like this.

owned-puddle.jpg

I can then view the post in full on either device

I guess they are more capable devices, independent of the resolution or size of the screen.

Surur

I'm sorry, but your VGA device is HUGE. It in no way can be considered a cell phone. Its a mini laptop replacement. I cant even imagine holding that thing up to my head to make a phone call.

I used the HTC 8125 for months. Browsing on PIE on a 320x240 screen is painful for most sites that are not formated for the small screen. It was a scroll fest. I only went to mobile websites on the device. You would think MS would have come out with a better browser years ago.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
So Palm OS would qualify too? And Symbian? (I think that can have custom skins, someone please correct)

So basically every smartphone in the world is a lemon? (Except the iPhone, of course).

No, those devices dont need the shell replacement to make their OS usable. Optional only. Notice how Palm OS, Symbian, blackberry, and now the iPhone do not have a start menu.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
If you read that person's posts, they had some legit reasons. Why not address those, rather than surur's post.

I sure don't have the need to send 700 SMS messages at once (ex. groups), but some people do. And I guess the iPhone's SMS client does not have that yet. Dealbreaker for me? No, but it was for someone.

If you read my posts at all, thats all I have been saying. What a problem is for somebody might be a non-issue for others. For example, animated .gifs and the ability to spell krsnet is a non-issue.

Most of the issues this guy posted about (is listening to to much music an issue?), or not issues to me.

Maybe the first software update (coming soon) will improve this guys problem....
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...iphone_software_update_to_arrive_shortly.html

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
No, those devices dont need the shell replacement to make their OS usable. Optional only. Notice how Palm OS, Symbian, blackberry, and now the iPhone do not have a start menu.

So now the parameters change....

I would disagree. Palm OS needs one (my "needs"). It was not optional.

And I use WM5 w/o a skin, and it's just fine for my needs. It is very useable out of the box.

Start menu is irrelevant. They have a home button. Close enough (but not the same).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

Funny, I can USE my device perfectly fine, and do things you cant do on an iPhone, completely without a shell replacement. Maybe it just an option, like other smartphone users (Symbian, palmOS and Linux) have always had, vs being stuck in Steve Jobs's One Right Way.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
So now the parameters change....

I would disagree. Palm OS needs one (my "needs"). It was not optional.

And I use WM5 w/o a skin, and it's just fine for my needs. It is very useable out of the box.

Start menu is irrelevant. They have a home button. Close enough (but not the same).

Sounds good, Im glad your happy. In my case I will never use a phone with a start menu ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.