10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Mal. proved my point when he claims 240x240 isn't a big deal. For me any device with resolution that low isn't even in consideration. Yet, he has problems with many things about the iPhone that I simply do not care about. Everybody has different needs.

look at those images he provided. they're quite telling as well.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
interesting. 240x240 is not a big deal, why? all i've heard about it is negative (slow to adopt programs for it, browsing on PIE is painful, limited screen real estate). let me guess, you own a WM Treo?
Really? I think in Jan 2006 when the WM Treo was first introduced this would have been the case, but honestly there is not a single program I cannot run on a WM Treo due to it's resolution. Sure it could be better, but technology can always be improved upon. A 320x320 WM Treo should be very nice (800w).

Browsing is very easy. Here are a few shots of the "web" on the Treo:
Screen006-8.png

Screen004-11.png

Other apps also look just fine, imo:
Screen003-2.png

Screen001-1.png

Denny Crane

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I just dont get posts like this. Maybe he values using the best internet browser on any phone on the market. Maybe he values the best portable music experience on a cellphone. Maybe he values the awesome UI.

Surur, can it possible be that he might have different needs and likes than you?

It's almost like Surur takes it personally that some folks like the iPhone. He needs help.

Denny Crane

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
You are being intentionally insulting. I value:

- being able to read and navigate pdfs and word documents as well as or better than I can on my work desktop machine
- being able to count on my phone not crashing or locking up at inconvenient times (or, as with my treo 650, near constantly)
- being able to browse nearly every website I need to browse and seeing it rendered in a way that is actually useful rather than painful (especially since more and more websites now rely on ajax)
- being able to retrieve imap email from my own mailserver
- being able to write my own working applications for my device
- being able to carry on multiple SMS conversations simultaneously
- being able to access google talk on occasion
- being able to take occasional snapshots that actually look reasonable
- being able to sync with all my outlook contact and calendar data

Now, some of these things can be done on other devices, and some can be done better on other devices (heck bullet by bullet you can probably find a device that's better for any one of those), but I've yet to see a single device that does all of these in combination as well as iphone, and which does so while still "looking pretty" and being a joy to actually use.

Your obsession with 3rd party apps (i want them too) is misplaced when you cite it in the abstract. 3rd party apps are only valuable in that they provide you the ability to do things you need to do that you otherwise couldn't. Webapps happen to suit my needs. I'd still like native apps for various reasons, but I'm happy. My expectations are not low. The damned phone does what I need it to do.

Your refusal to accept that someone could have different priorities than you is simply moronic, and eliminates any shred of credibility you might otherwise have.

I have frequently (on this thread and others) acknowledged problems, even when they aren't of concern to me, as being something that people with different values than my own might be affected by. You are incapable of doing the same, and thus have no credibility with me (I'm sure you're heartbroken).

Yes, the iphone is shiny. But it's possible to be both shiny AND useful, and the iphone represents that combination for me because it does what I need it to do. When you can get your WM devices to instantly bring up a pdf on the screen so i can actually read the entire page at once, and so i can effortlessly and instantaneously page and zoom with as little trouble as I can on my iphone, then WM might become the phone for me.

^^^^ What he said^^^^^^^

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Sure it could be better, but technology can always be improved upon. A 320x320 WM Treo should be very nice (800w).

"technology can always be improved upon"

---yes sir, no doubt. unlike the iPhone of course as it lives in some sort of static environment impervious to change. right?

"a 320x320 WM Treo should be very nice"

---yes sir, no doubt....a big improvement over the 240x240 WM screen resolution currently employed. but if it's yet another brick......

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
"technology can always be improved upon"

---yes sir, no doubt. unlike the iPhone of course as it lives in some sort of static environment impervious to change. right?
Umm...

My original criticism of the iPhone has always been consistent and I don't think what you are implying is true for what I've said are my issues:

- no 3rd party apps
- no 3g
- no Sprint

I've always maintained had it had those features I would at least try it out. But AT&T is a rip off compared to my current plan and I won't revert to 2g after having 3g for nearly 2 years already (factor in I'm already very happy with the 700wx and what it does).

Everything else that I've said (like no copy/paste) are not deal-breakers but merely pet-peeves which I could apply to
any device.

Other than that the resolution issue is subjective: some will not like it, others don't mind it. Of course it can't compare the to the iPhone in resolution or size, but for what it is, it quite usable.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Really? I think in Jan 2006 when the WM Treo was first introduced this would have been the case, but honestly there is not a single program I cannot run on a WM Treo due to it's resolution. Sure it could be better, but technology can always be improved upon. A 320x320 WM Treo should be very nice (800w).

Browsing is very easy. Here are a few shots of the "web" on the Treo:
Screen006-8.png

Screen004-11.png

Those shots of the NY Times and Treocentral, are they from the mobile sites or the real ones?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
far from full experience? i need to be able to read the information, the text, that is important to me. being able to watch and see animated gifs like you do, isn't.

That statement does not really support your argument. If you only need the text, why do you need the iPhone. Most mobile browsers can get to the text just fine. I can get text and flash and gifs. I am less than impressed.

But keep trying.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
You are being intentionally insulting. I value:

- being able to read and navigate pdfs and word documents as well as or better than I can on my work desktop machine
- being able to count on my phone not crashing or locking up at inconvenient times (or, as with my treo 650, near constantly)
- being able to browse nearly every website I need to browse and seeing it rendered in a way that is actually useful rather than painful (especially since more and more websites now rely on ajax)

Now, some of these things can be done on other devices, and some can be done better on other devices (heck bullet by bullet you can probably find a device that's better for any one of those), but I've yet to see a single device that does all of these in combination as well as iphone, and which does so while still "looking pretty" and being a joy to actually use.

Your obsession with 3rd party apps (i want them too) is misplaced when you cite it in the abstract. 3rd party apps are only valuable in that they provide you the ability to do things you need to do that you otherwise couldn't. Webapps happen to suit my needs. I'd still like native apps for various reasons, but I'm happy. My expectations are not low. The damned phone does what I need it to do.

Your refusal to accept that someone could have different priorities than you is simply moronic, and eliminates any shred of credibility you might otherwise have.

I have frequently (on this thread and others) acknowledged problems, even when they aren't of concern to me, as being something that people with different values than my own might be affected by. You are incapable of doing the same, and thus have no credibility with me (I'm sure you're heartbroken).

Yes, the iphone is shiny. But it's possible to be both shiny AND useful, and the iphone represents that combination for me because it does what I need it to do. When you can get your WM devices to instantly bring up a pdf on the screen so i can actually read the entire page at once, and so i can effortlessly and instantaneously page and zoom with as little trouble as I can on my iphone, then WM might become the phone for me.

For your convenience you gave up a huge amount of freedom. For your needs the iPhone may be useful, but with the Iphone being so limited, I really dont see how I am wrong to assume your needs are also.

But you are not able to store these documents locally, edit them, store and forward them or any of the useful features available in more capable devices.

Maybe using a device with no memory protection or proper multi-tasking as your benchmark is the real problem.

And you give up simple things like being able to cut and paste from those web pages, or being able to up or download content.

This is scraping the bottom of the barrel on features, as its so far from unique its not even relevant.

Sorry, you could do a lot more with a device that allows native development.

Again, not unique, and most other devices allow IM too.

And other devices allow google talk AND skype.

Again, as this is not a unique or even exclusive feature, and the Iphone camera is severely under-featured, I fail to see how this even was part of your decision making.

Other devices do it better.

The Iphone does most things on your list poorer than competing devices, therefore your needs must be pretty limited if you are happy with its performance.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Honestly, I still think it's the appearance, sleekness and coolness, and not completely the performance of the iPhone, that many are in love with. If the iPhone weren't so hot looking, many would have returned it already. JMO, but I do suspect that looking at some(SOME, not all) posts. When you start making excuses for a phone lacking something, it means you really like the phone for reasons other than performance.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
That statement does not really support your argument. If you only need the text, why do you need the iPhone.

Surur

because of its large, bright and clear screen. all that matters is what i like and get out of the iPhone, not what you don't like or can't comprehend (nor read). i said the text was "important to me" and did not say "i only need the text."

that was easy.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
because of its large, bright and clear screen. all that matters is what i like and get out of the iPhone, not what you don't like or can't comprehend (nor read). i said the text was "important to me" and did not say "i only need the text."

that was easy.

Then dear oalvarez, why are you even talking to me about it? 'Because I say so!' has never been the most convincing argument in the world, no matter how easy it is to say.

Surur

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
It's almost like Surur takes it personally that some folks like the iPhone. He needs help.
That is exactly what it is. He saw all the hype surrounding the iPhone and proclaimed himself some sort of "iPhone hype vigilante!" His goal? To spread enough anecdotal and disinformation to attempt to counter the iPhone hype. The only problem is that the iPhone has largely lived up to the hype and the overwhelming majority of iPhone owners are happy with their purchase.

If it contains the same information, whats the difference?

Surur
The world isnt simply based on function, form is a significant consideration.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
for crying out loud it was you who decided to respond to one of my quotes and comment on it. do you not even remember what you say anymore? and what do you resort to? more spin and redirection.

Surur, you're starting to show....and people are noticing. :eek:

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
for crying out loud it was you who decided to respond to one of my quotes and comment on it. do you not even remember what you say anymore? and what do you resort to? more spin and redirection.

Oalvarez, no need to get so excited. Its just a message board. You seem to be losing the train of the conversation. Try some deep breathing exercises.

If you love your iPhone just because you love your iPhone, why come here and engage any of us with your posts? Its really not necessary, you know. I'm sure your time is better spend elsewhere.

Surur

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Honestly, I still think it's the appearance, sleekness and coolness, and not completely the performance of the iPhone, that many are in love with.
Exactly. I find it amusing that many iPhone users are drawn to its sleek look and clever interfaces and then go over-the-top trying to claim its functionality is on par with other (more capable) devices. Simply put, it's a good phone with some good functionality with an excellent interface (for most of its functionality)...perhaps even $600 worth.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
If it contains the same information, whats the difference?Surur

Let me get this straight. When I asked if that was a mobile site or a real site, this was your answer, yet when complaining about the iPhones lack of being able to display animated .gifs you said....

Its funny, but most of those sites use flash extensively, implying that even with an iPhone you are getting far from a full experience. I'm sure that does not concern you either.Surur

I think you need to go to dictionary.com and look up the word "Hypocrite". Make sure to use the mobile site though if you are using your Windows Mobile device.

As an iPhone user, I never go to mobile sites, and yes there is a big difference. If not, Surur, why don't you just use rss feeds, it contains the same information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73