10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
(BTW: by the same line of logic where a bunch of complaints about crashes on line means all iphones crash, I say a bunch of people complaining about activation problems means no one could activate :)

The same thought occurred to me, but I thought I better not articulate it :D

Funny how these things cut both ways, doesn't it.

Surur

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
Why are people expecting Apple to announce full week sales? Their quarter ends June 30 just like AT&T, right? Meaning, unless someone knows otherwise, I'd expect them to report sales through June 30. I suppose they could release more numbers just because people are curious...

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Why are people expecting Apple to announce full week sales? Their quarter ends June 30 just like AT&T, right? Meaning, unless someone knows otherwise, I'd expect them to report sales through June 30. I suppose they could release more numbers just because people are curious...

Another interesting thing about AT&Ts announcement was their quarter ended June 30. So first weekend of sales actually only consisted of Friday night, and saturday sales. 146,000 activations in 1.25 days. Not to bad.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
I don't think anyone expects apple to announce a week. the time frame was not a material part of the commentary.
They will be tempted to report on the entire first week (assuming the numbers are good) to mitigate the impact of AT&T's announcement, whether or not they're material.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
i doubt the week-long numbers paint a rosier picture than the weekend. I assume the weekend numbers will be surprising high, and that it petered out during the week to a more stable number. In other words, the per-day sales for that first weekend is going to be much higher than for the remaining days. They may, however, report web sales, depending on their accounting method. Their site was completely bogged down for hours after 6pm, so I assume they sold quite a lot.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
(b) Trend: did they peak that weekend and the sales dwindled? Did they peak that weekend but sales held consistent at a relatively high level? Did they not peak till mid week? Fill in X scenario here, etc. etc.
Hard to say but by Saturday evening (June 30) they'd sold out in all AT&T stores and 24 of the 164 Apple stores:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/30/atandt-sold-out-of-iphones/

By July 5 they'd sold out almost everywhere:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/05/iphone-sells-out-of-apple-stores-almost/

This tells us two things I think:

1) to a certain extent sales in the first w/end were constrained by supply (at the stores that sold out within 30 hours of launch);

2) it kept selling (probably in reasonable numbers) beyond Saturday evening (as the other stores would sell out a few days later).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Why are people expecting Apple to announce full week sales?

To fix this.

cmdpreviewinwebbrowserga0.jpg

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
i doubt the week-long numbers paint a rosier picture than the weekend. I assume the weekend numbers will be surprising high, and that it petered out during the week to a more stable number. In other words, the per-day sales for that first weekend is going to be much higher than for the remaining days. They may, however, report web sales, depending on their accounting method. Their site was completely bogged down for hours after 6pm, so I assume they sold quite a lot.

Well, if first week sales were constant to the first 1.25 days (reported by AT&T), then apple would have sold over 800,000 in the first week.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
That's silly. I'm pretty sure the lines around the apple and at&t stores didn't last for the full week.

Of course not, but I'm sure on-line sales, plus word of mouth sales were pretty strong. Also, don't assume that a lot of people just didn't want to wait in-line and went to the store a few days later to get one.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Would be an interesting experiment. "touch the letter" takes the same amount of time, in theory, as typing the first letter.

After that, the drag/flick would take somewhere around the effort of typing another letter or two.

I'd prefer a typing interface, but not sure the letter-bar is that much worse for most people. (once you get around 100 contacts per a letter, the iphone method gets ugly.)

maybe longer if you flick past what you're looking for?

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
The on-line sales also didn't continue like they did for the first day, as evidenced by the fact that the website came back to life the next day.

I'm sure sales were strong, but there's no way they continued the pace off the first few days.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
maybe longer if you flick past what you're looking for?

I've actually never done that. Between the built-in drag and the way it freezes as soon as you touch the screen, it's pretty darned precise. And you wouldn't be flicking at super speed since, by using the bar, you are already within a letter or two.

I agree a keyboard interface would be great, but for what it is, the flick interface and letter bar are remarkably well implemented.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
All just conjecture at this point. AT&T's numbers reflect on what happened, but don't tell the story. (Personally, the few people I know with iphones, including my 2, were activated after AT&T's quarter ended).

Personally, I'm hoping Apple announces 500,000 or more sales in the first week, for no other reason than the enjoyment of watching all the analysts who initially predicted huge sales, and now have dropped their predictions to absurdly low levels, having to scramble again to explain themselves. (I'm looking at you, Piper Jaffrey. Remember what you did in 1998? Yeah, I didn't think so.)

Piper Jaffrey is a joke.

So are most securities analysts.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members