10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Sounds like people are floundering around, looking for magic answers for their travails. I thought the iPhone was meant to free people from these problems?

So the basis of your beef with the iPhone is that in Generation 1 of the OS with no patches, it has many of the same problems as WM5 and WM6 ?

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
So the basis of your beef with the iPhone is that in Generation 1 of the OS with no patches, it has many of the same problems as WM5 and WM6 ?
I think the ipod phone was sold on not having these problems and was going to crush WM....like that could ever happen lol lol
The phone from the future as apple has layed out to there customer in the present is,
Music player
Phone
Web browser

What does the iphone lack???? more and more we are finding out from the users that have been seen in links.

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
Also wourth noting Jack

I don't hate Apple or love WM

Bottom line...What device OS gives you more options with freedom and the basic functions no Phone/ppc/smart phone should be without?
WM

Can apple catch up to WM??? Ofcouse they can but hey man don't try to sell me a gold ice cub that melts after a few weeks.
Will WM improve the UI??? Sure they will...apple gave them a jump start in the right direction

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
Your record as gutless wonders is unblemished. But just for once try to explain why Surur's posts (another half dozen since my alleged "trolling") of miles of iPhone complainers is a more valid argument against the iPhone than the countless threads in this forum pointing out the defects of the entire Treo line.
Talking about things in this thread other than iPhone problems = Off Topic

Starting arguments about the existence of this thread = Trolling

Responding directly to or disputing the iPhone complaints in Surur's posts or the specific conclusions drawn from them = Strongly Encouraged

Surur's posts = Entertainment

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
jack

Jack,

I am sorry to hear about your wife. I have lost people close to me to cancer, and it sucks.

It is obvious that neither braj nor I knew anything about that. Again, "vacation" has a happy connotation. If you said you were taking time off to care for a sick relative, it would not have gotten the same response.

That said, I can understand the anger you are expressing and how it is coming out in this forum.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

Of course not. My issue is the way the device was over-hyped, even by Apple. It was portrayed as the device to deliver people from the Evils of PalmOS and WM. As far as I am concerned its still running on the hype from the last 6 months, and the reality of its limitations have not set in yet. I am doing my small bit to help that process along.

Re:Your wife. I am sorry she is ill, and I hope she makes a speedy recovery. I hope you dont take offense at me taking the opportunity to press the point of why we want multi-functional devices, to help us with word AND help keep us entertained when we have inevitable down time.

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

Jack,

The term "retards" was never used in this thread context of calling iPhone users that name.

Don't state a falsehood in order to explain away your use of a term.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Some more users chaffing under the iPhone yoke.

Sorting Contacts on iPhone wind415 07-22-2007 21:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorting Contacts on iPhone

Does anyone know if there is a way to sort the contacts on a iPhone so that it sorts by company or a way to look up by company. I have more than 2000 contacts in my phone and the only way for me to look up a company is to remember the contact name that it is filed under.

Also, I am having troubles downloading pdf attachments in my email. Any suggestions.

Fray Adjacent 07-22-2007 21:42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. They're all in one big long list.

Maverick05 07-22-2007 22:14

i have trouble with PDF email attachments too but what I mean by troble is that it is sooo slowbecause of the edge connection. What do you mean/ are you referring to when you state that you are having trouble

ragweed 07-22-2007 22:31

wind415 said:
Does anyone know if there is a way to sort the contacts on a iPhone so that it sorts by company or a way to look up by company. I have more than 2000 contacts in my phone and the only way for me to look up a company is to remember the contact name that it is filed under.

Unfortunately not. This is one area where WM is really superior. Hopefully Apple addresses this in a future s/w upgrade.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1207046

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
yep

If you have a lot of contacts, WM is way, way faster.

I think I would go batty scrolling through hundreds or thousands of contacts manually.

Here's the thing...most people don't remember numbers...they remember the name (either first or last).

Only being able to get to them via rolodex interface, while pretty, can be slow and trying.

I bet Apple introduces a "spell-to-contact" function, like WM now has, and people will says, "Wow, look how innovative Apple is."

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I guess the reason the iPhone is easier to use is because there is just less you can do.

Too true. Embrace the Apple way and all will be good.

villageofdamned.jpg

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
If you have a lot of contacts, WM is way, way faster.

I think I would go batty scrolling through hundreds or thousands of contacts manually.

Here's the thing...most people don't remember numbers...they remember the name (either first or last).

Only being able to get to them via rolodex interface, while pretty, can be slow and trying.

I bet Apple introduces a "spell-to-contact" function, like WM now has, and people will says, "Wow, look how innovative Apple is."

That's like many of the reviews I read of the iPhone, stuff that other devices have done for years the reviewers looked on amazed at Apple like they were the innovator and said (for example with threaded SMS) "everyone should do it like this!". The pretty packaging and lack of knowledge of what other devices are actually capable of lead to many comments like that.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
That's like many of the reviews I read of the iPhone, stuff that other devices have done for years the reviewers looked on amazed at Apple like they were the innovator and said (for example with threaded SMS) "everyone should do it like this!". The pretty packaging and lack of knowledge of what other devices are actually capable of lead to many comments like that.

I'm sure Apple will do it prettier. In the e-mail program for example, when you delete an e-mail it curls up and slips into the trash container. This is what everyone considered a wonderful UI. I consider these superfluous animations a waste of time.

Like this new iPhone owner says:
(the iPhone is ...) Slow to delete a message; it shows some damn animation which is cute the first time, but jeez, get this damn thing out of the way; not useful for someone who gets hundreds of emails a day
http://paulenglish.com/2007/07/i-got-iphone.html

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
That update cant come soon enough...

Great points.... Though I love my phone, there are a few things that deflate it's greatness for me.

No multiple person SMS. Wouldn't be too big of a deal if I could cut n paste the message, but I can't do that either. So I have to type "meeting is cancelled" 20 times in a row?

No MMS. The one thing I used the most with my Moto. Now I get SMS's from Att telling me to go to some website and type code in to receive it. The SUPER weird thing is people on ATT can't send me MMS at all, but if your another carrier, I get a message to view it on the web. That baffles me.

Deleting long text sucks. When I reply to an email and want to delete the copy, I can't highlight and delete. I have to hold the delete button and wait way to long listening to little clicks.

The audio adapter IS a joke. In the apple store where the iPhones are hooked up to real headphones, they look like a bunch of walkie talkies with the adapters sticking out of them. I can't believe they overlooked this. Anyone have any luck making the hole bigger?

Call log doesn't say incoming or outgoing. Sure you can get it with a tap, but why not put a little up or down arrow. Big display, plenty of room for it.

I can't wait to see what they address in the first update.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322382&page=6

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
ha

Isn't the point of the iPhone that you should only get 10-20 emails a day, have lots of time to listen to music and videos, and just chill out while the rest of the working stiffs keep society functioning?

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
updates

Looks like people are expecting iPhone updates fast and furious...too bad in the phone world, updates are few and far between.

This may change with the iPhone, but generally on most smartphones, (and phones) firmware/software patches are rare (compared to desktop software)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Looks like people are expecting iPhone updates fast and furious...too bad in the phone world, updates are few and far between.

Too true. This is the last one for the evening. I'm sure there will be more tomorrow. Until the "update" the iPhone pain can only grow.

How Often Does your iPhone Freeze?

MSME Jul 22, 2007 11:19 AM

How Often Does your iPhone Freeze?
Sorry if this topic has been posted before . . . I haven't seen too much discussion on this in these forums or elsewhere.

My question is pretty simple. How often does your iPhone freeze up (requiring a hard-reset)? Also, is it something to be concerned about? I've only experienced it once, when receiving a call. Honestly, I would expect the device to freeze occasionally. My previous phone, a Samsung Blackjack, would completely lock up once a week or so. I'm very curious how many other iPhone users have experienced this, and how often.
icruise Jul 22, 2007 11:38 AM

I've never had it freeze up, but I do have Safari quit on me pretty regularly.
butterfly0fdoom Jul 22, 2007 02:11 PM

Mine froze a lot when I was doing e-mail stuff (i messed up the POP settings for Gmail, so the iPhone loaded over 250 messages >.<). Well, not exactly froze, it just lagged so much that it may as well have froze.
::maroma:: Jul 22, 2007 02:47 PM

Mine has froze once.
DKeithA Jul 22, 2007 02:49 PM

One freeze here so far - it was while Mail was downloading.
Stogieman Jul 22, 2007 03:03 PM

Mine froze once (trying to load the hot babes thread). I've had Safari and Google Maps crash on me on a few occasions.
butterfly0fdoom Jul 22, 2007 05:03 PM

Well, I've been using safari a lot in the past hour and it's crashed/quit on me a lot. Software update soon, please? Although I do like the keyboard. It's so awesome and I'm doing fine two-handed (trust really is key here.
mikemako Jul 22, 2007 06:31 PM

My iPhone hasn't frozen yet and I've been using it heavily since launch day. My main problem is with Safari. Typing in Safari sometimes gets sluggish, and Safari crashes pretty often.
http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iphone-and-apple-tv/342800/how-often-does-your-iphone-freeze/

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site

This may change with the iPhone, but generally on most smartphones, (and phones) firmware/software patches are rare (compared to desktop software)

Well with credit to Apple, they do release updates for other things, so let's hope they do the same for the iPhone.

As soon as they release the iPhone with a firmware update for SMS, I may be onboard as using the iPhone as my new after hours phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro