10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site

Surur, why is it so hard for you to understand that for some people, the iPhone fits their needs perfectly? I am on my third week with mine and I really enjoy it. Its not perfect, but for my needs its the best phone on the market. I got the iPhone for what it does so well, not for what it doesn't do. For example, on some days I commute several hours a day. I use the web browser alot on the iPhone and find nothing even close to it on any other phone.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Surur, why is it so hard for you to understand that for some people, the iPhone fits their needs perfectly? I am on my third week with mine and I really enjoy it. Its not perfect, but for my needs its the best phone on the market. I got the iPhone for what it does so well, not for what it doesn't do. For example, on some days I commute several hours a day. I use the web browser alot on the iPhone and find nothing even close to it on any other phone.

Wasn't the real issue the hype and RDF associated with the iPhone (and the resulting reality), not that the iPhone is fine for a lot of people?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

Hey, I never said it doesn't suite the needs of a lot of people. I would contest that it suits your needs perfectly however. I would think that would be nearly impossible.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Hey, I never said it doesn't suite the needs of a lot of people. I would contest that it suits your needs perfectly however. I would think that would be nearly impossible.

Surur

Maybe not perfectly, but probably more than any other phone. Unless you think you know my needs more than I do.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Wasn't the real issue the hype and RDF associated with the iPhone (and the resulting reality), not that the iPhone is fine for a lot of people?

Wasnt it HTC that said they were going to "Change the world" with a big June 5th announcement. This turned out to be the yawn inspiring (atleast for me) Touch. Apple is in business to make money. Are you really blaming them for trying to hype their product?

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Wasnt it HTC that said they were going to "Change the world" with a big June 5th announcement. This turned out to be the yawn inspiring (atleast for me) Touch. Apple is in business to make money. Are you really blaming them for trying to hype their product?

I have no info on your HTC comment, so I can't repsond (maybe someone who track HTC more than I can).

Blame them for hyping their product....hmm...hyping and marketing, I see as two different (but related things.)

I have said many times that I don't begrudge Apple there profits, marketing,etc....they exist to provide shareholder value, which they are doing.

I do take issues with RDF statements which they make, only because I like a little more honesty in my marketing. But hey, that's the world we live in.

I think my, and many people issue, is the incessant fanboys who said the jPhone was the second coming, even in the face of some issues.

Heck, I own a ton of Apple stuff, so I am funding their growth. But they does not mean I am an apple-sheeple.

So there is no blame on them marketing and making money. They are not putting a gun to my head and say "buy this".

(But I and other will still comment on it; providign a diffrent viewpoint that other might appreciate.)

I actually think this thread is a must read for ay iPhone buyer...they can see if the issues brought up apply to them.
If they don't, great, buy an iPhone and be happy.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I have no info on your HTC comment, so I can't repsond (maybe someone who track HTC more than I can).

Blame them for hyping their product....hmm...hyping and marketing, I see as two different (but related things.)

I have said many times that I don't begrudge Apple there profits, marketing,etc....they exist to provide shareholder value, which they are doing.

I do take issues with RDF statements which they make, only because I like a little more honesty in my marketing. But hey, that's the world we live in.

I think my, and many people issue, is the incessant fanboys who said the jPhone was the second coming, even in the face of some issues.

Heck, I own a ton of Apple stuff, so I am funding their growth. But they does not mean I am an apple-sheeple.

So there is no blame on them marketing and making money. They are not putting a gun to my head and say "buy this".

Here is a link about HTCs "major announcement" http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/05/27/major-announcement-from-htc-on-june-5/

As for some people claiming that the iPhone is the "second coming", maybe it is to them. Before I bought the iPhone I was well aware of all the features it didnt have. I bought it because in my opinion, what it does have, it does better than anything else.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Maybe not perfectly, but probably more than any other phone. Unless you think you know my needs more than I do.

No I dont, but I abhor hyperbole, especially when associated with an over-hyped device such as the iPhone. There is no need for you to contribute even further to it. Thats what's Apple's marketing force is for.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
No I dont, but I abhor hyperbole, especially when associated with an over-hyped device such as the iPhone. There is no need for you to contribute even further to it. Thats what's Apple's marketing force is for.

Surur

So now your telling me what I can and should post about? Why dont we change the name of these forums to "Surur Forums". Here, you can set the rules on what we are aloud to post about, and what opinions we must have.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So now your telling me what I can and should post about? Why dont we change the name of these forums to "Surur Forums". Here, you can set the rules on what we are aloud to post about, and what opinions we must have.

Think of it as a suggestion.

Surur

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Chat is not blocked at a lot of businesses. Just because you company blocks it, it doesn't matter?

Most companies have employee brochures, procedure manuals etc. Most companies don't write them, they use boilerplate's or the "borrow" one from a company they used to work for. I consult to many large engineering firms and have to deal with them on a daily basis. Means of communication and other protocols are established and means of communication defined. Our work is also reviewed by regulatory agencies. Again communication here is defined by rules.

1. Contact with regulatory agencies is limited to phone, written and e-mail communication. Phone contact is limited to M-W-F mornings and T-T afternoons. All communications if significance must be in writing or e-mail.

2. Contact with partnering engineering firms is limited to written, e-mail and phone communication.

Part of this is for legal and liability reasons, part of it is to maintain written records but the biggest part of it, strange as it may seem, is that people have to actually get work done between 9 to 5 and if repeated "doodlle-doots" are going to keep interrupting them that can't happen. That's why many offices and the regulatory agencies limit phone call contact to certain hours....so people can get work done.

Think about it, I have soemone sitting here designing a bridge girder for a bridge near your house. It requires a fair amount of concentration. As he is working my way through the calculations, he hears "doddle doot"...."Honey can ya bring home milk and bread ?' .... after answering, peep backs up a few steps to restablish his train of thought ....."doodle doot" ..... "yo dude, we still going out to McGagles after work....it''s dollar shots night" Answers no ..... gets back to work......"doodle doot" ..... "Hey where's the spec for the County Road 35 job ?" .... "In the library" ....."now where the hell was I again....crap, I better start over ?"

Heck many offices still have a "no personal phone calls policy". We are a bit informal and allow personal calls but since they are obvious and abuses can be monitored. IM not so. About half the firms I do business with limit phone calls to certain hours.... before 10 am or after 3 pm unless there is a particularly urgent matter. My doctor has the same policy, I do business with over a dozen law firms, they have the same policy. Our accountants have the same policy.

Our profession requires continuing education (36 hours per year). I teach courses on Network Safety (Protecting your network from outside attack, intrusion and employee theft / mishaps) and Intraoffice and Interoffice Communications (Limiting your Liabilities). In teaching the course, I have encountered no firms which list IM as an acceptable form of communication in the Office Manuals. More than half specifically prohibit.

Now there are industries such as sales where it might be useful but if I'm responsible for the bottom line , it would be strictly in house only. Anyone routinely using AOL IM to get milk and bread messages, sports scores, "water cooler" type discussions on the latest TV episode" would be canned.

Maybe you company should block TC forum access, as you waste a lot of company time and resources here.

I am on vacation.

And the deli comparison, that was just plain retarded.

In other words you couldn't come up with anything to counter the logic with, so adopted SPR (standard playground response). This easier for you ?

Mike: "Your phone sux, it doesn't have ringtones"

Jack: "I don't use ringtones, I find them obnoxious and annoying"

Mike: "Well your phone is still suckie cause now they have a 23 step hack that lets you add ringtones"

Jack: "I still don't like ringtones, and will not be doing the 23 step hack cause I still find them obnoxious and annoying. I think people who use ringtones should have to pay a tax for annoying the general public."

Mike: "Aha....see even your vendor knows the phone sux.....they are coming out with a patch which adds ringtones"

Jack: " I still find them obnoxious and annoying, I will never apply the patch unless it is packaged with something I do need and will never even consider give up my screen, my UI and my web experience for something as meaningless as ringtones.

Mike: "yeah....well....ya phone still sux....and ....oh yeah....you're retaded"

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site

^and yet another voice of logic and reason. but Surur, Mal, MikeC, Count, Braj will try and make all others around here believe otherwise.

this is all about "what Jobs said" and "how he compared the iPhone to other smartphones" on a media board. only their posts are acceptable, all others are labled as trolling and the like. they can do, you cannot.

you'll understand if you already don't. i get the feeling that you do.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Is it the fact that I actually like my iPhone alot that you have a problem with? Are people only allowed to post here if they have negative opinions?

Calm down, stop being so hostile. I was merely suggesting "suites me well" vs "suites me perfectly". You are being very defensive over such a small change.

Surur

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Posting and trolling are not the same thing.

From wikiedia

"Trolls can be existing members of a community that rarely post and often contribute no useful information to the thread, but instead make argumentative posts in an attempt to discredit another person, concentrating almost exclusively on facts irrelevant to the point of the conversation, ....."

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Calm down, stop being so hostile. I was merely suggesting "suites me well" vs "suites me perfectly". You are being very defensive over such a small change.

Surur

I am very calm. As for me being hostile, I'm not the one making "suggestions" on what other people should post.

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
I currently carry 2 phones (both WM). One is for work and the other for personal use. I'm considering getting an iPhone since I'll still keep at least one WM phone that will have the functionallity I need. I know it's overpriced but I really like the iPhone's sleek look and browser. Jeez, if only the iPhone had WM guts it would be a no-brainer. What do you guys think?

You would have to define the criteria for me to answer. To my mind, what a device can do is more important than a spec list. Personally I find the WM UI annoying, so the WM would have a few pluses (thes emust be pluses I am ctally interested in, not things I have no interest in) not available to me on my current device to make me overlook that.

What is it that you want in a device that your WM phone does for you ? Are you fond of the UI ? or is it that it so nicely integrates into ya office e-mail ?

And yes, the browser experience on the iPhone is amazing. I am not big web user because every other handheld browser can best be described as "kludgie".....but this would make having an unlimited data plan worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR