10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
My Treo indicates which calls are incoming and which are outgoing while displaying the list. I don't have to look at each item individually to tell.

most excellent! i can understand and appreciate how seriously important it is to know which direction every call came from, and being able to tell right away. i can do with having to tap the screen should i need that critical piece of information.

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
The iPhone is NOT a smart phone. It's a feature phone with a big screen and a fancy interface. But it's too crippled, functionally, to be a smart phone. The fact that it costs as much as a smartphone doesn't make it one.

MHO, YMMV.

Well said...these are some of the reasons beyond fuctionality why some just principally don't like this thing. If it wasn't marketed as the Godfather of smartphones and released as what its suppose to be, the device would be more easy to digest for me. The same situation with "Bubba" fans in the sport of Motocross...this guy was marketed as the best that ever was and didn't deliver against the rider that wasn't, and now Bubba gets it like the iPhone...lol. Live up to the hype and then nobody can say $hit. :)

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
The iPhone is NOT a smart phone. It's a feature phone with a big screen and a fancy interface. But it's too crippled, functionally, to be a smart phone. The fact that it costs as much as a smartphone doesn't make it one.

MHO, YMMV.
I totally Agree.It is pretty yet the beauty does not get the job done when it cant even handel the basic task.For many that dropped cash on the future phone seem in denial sticking up for it as the best phone/ppc/what ever they want to call it every released .Very odd to say the least.
Maybe the cool oalvarez can come down to the lower levels of the TC forums-Slingbox = dirt :cry: and take the time to share his expertise in the current smart phone market..after all He is the most brilliant poster at TC

The great TC god already posted above

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I agree it's not really a smartphone. But Steve Jobs thinks it is
Steve Jobs said:
?With 8 hours of talk time, and 24 hours of audio playback, iPhone?s battery life is longer than any other ?Smartphone? and even longer than most MP3 players,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO.

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
I think there's a thread stating that 2 out of 3 iphone users not being able to get full charge also batt life being around 4 hours.The batt life was supposed to be at 8 hours so the spec sheet reads.There seems to be more marketing then device performance facts.

oops
I will correct my post
the spec sheet calls for 8 hours yet some users are getting 6-7hours due to battery charge issues.This cant be good for the long haul.Im sure apple will make a fix

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I agree it's not really a smartphone. But Steve Jobs thinks it is

It was the only way to get away charging $500-600 for it w/o subsidies...plenty are willing to pay that though esp those who can say they have a smartphone - i just hope that they do implement updates ala OS X/Windows - I shall wait and see how many get through before v2 is out (i.e. how much functionality the phone ends up having for that $600 plus).

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
The battery issue is a major issue for Apple. Some forum members said Apple just took their phones and gave them new ones, no questions asked, without much of a conversation to boot! I think 2 out of 3 is an overstatement, but it definitely is an issue.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
The battery issue is a major issue for Apple. Some forum members said Apple just took their phones and gave them new ones, no questions asked, without much of a conversation to boot! I think 2 out of 3 is an overstatement, but it definitely is an issue.

I think it will remain an issue esp if ppl watch movies on it...wonder how thick it would be if the battery was replaceable - an idea for v2 though Apple seems to abhor swappable batteries. I saw someone post somewhere that it'd be ~ 3mm thicker - is that such a bad thing for a PMP/phone?.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
This makes no sense...

People are overwhelmingly too fat and not fit enough. Does that make it right? People buy "newspapers" in scary numbers only to read about Paris Hilton & the like. Does that mean I should? :rolleyes:

iPhone is a pretty but fatally crippled smartphone. Not even if 101% of iPhone users thought it was the second coming would it make it half as capable for my actual needs as my 680.

Yes, I know Surur has been posting anecdotal evidence of iPhone horror-stories, but I've always thought that most iPhone users will be too undemanding (or even technically-challenged!) to notice either the design flaws or bugs.

We are all stupider for having read that statement, I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Honestly and this is no joke or to down you llarson
I feel sorry for you and the poll.
I could debate and debate but it would do no good.You seem very smart yet not thinking about what apple has taken away form you.

Your stuck with edge speeds.
A pretty user interface.
nice screen..I will give the iphone that.
No option for 3rd party apps.
No way to take out the darn battery.

Your smart you know the deal man.

I'll take this as a compliment regardless of how you meant it.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
That's what I prefer, to know without looking at each number individually. Saves a bit of time.

yes, of course it saves a bit of time. how much time do you think it really saves? and if you see a call that is not a missed call, do you earnestly not know if you called them or if they called you? if you don't, do you consider it laborious to tap the screen to see if it was incoming or not?

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
yep

actually, seeing incoming/outgoing icons on the call log screen is a great help, esp. to those of use who make and receive dozens of calls a day.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I get so many calls on the list, yes I forget whose calls I received and who I called. I need to tell the difference. The phones I have tell you right from the list.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
you can tell the difference, i just want to make sure that some don't get the impression that you can't. there is a list of recent calls and those that are "missed" are marked as such. i would think that seeing which calls were missed are the most important. if a call isn't missed that means you either picked it up (and most likely spoke to that person) or you called them.

but i do agree with you, immediately (not having to tap) being able to see if a call was incoming or not definitely saves time.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Its obvious to oalvarez if the iPhone does not have it its an unimportant feature, but if iPhone does have it, its great.

For example, I understand in the browser you cant:
set a home page
chose font size
switch the loading of pictures of (important on an GPRS/edge device)

In the e-mail client you cant:
force it to only donwload a portion of the e-mail
force it to not download attachments.

I bet oalvarez does not think these (simple) features are important in any way.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Its obvious to oalvarez if the iPhone does not have it its an unimportant feature, but if iPhone does have it, its great.

For example, I understand in the browser you cant:
set a home page
chose font size
switch the loading of pictures of (important on an GPRS/edge device)

In the e-mail client you cant:
force it to only donwload a portion of the e-mail
force it to not download attachments.

I bet oalvarez does not think these (simple) features are important in any way.

Surur

i'll be more than glad to address your points.

-i think it's silly that one doesn't have the choice of setting a home page (or not). as a user i also know that any web address i might want to frequent regularly is contained in my favorites area. again, one should be able to set a home page.

-font size in a browser: upon being dowloaded the entire web page fits on the screen. would i want to be able to make it even smaller or bigger (hence not being able to see certain portions of the page) automatically? not sure. one can do that by shrinking or expanding the page with their fingers. if i've understood you correctly, i personally haven't found a need for it.

-switch the loading of pics on a page: i think that one should be able to choose whether they want to increase download speeds by omitting pictures. having said that, i personally like to view the images on the web page and i have found the EDGE speeds to be acceptable more times than not. again, one should be able to choose.

email related items:

since i use it for personal use (home email, no work whatsoever) neither one of those matter to me. as for attachments, i think that one might have to set outlook to download the attachments automatically in order for the handheld to be able to see them. in all honesty, i'm not sure. should one be able to attach an item to an email, from the email screen? yes, absolutely.

i'll even add one of my own: one should be able to minimize the keyboard prior to either cancelling or completing typing. there is no way to do this. i find that it hides portions of the screen that one might want to access before actually sending the message.

i have answered your areas of concern, and honestly. if the iPhone doesn't have certain features that does not make them unimportant.

now, back to my question:

is it really all that difficult to tap the screen to get the vital "incoming or outgoing" call information? and how much time does that actually take? i make and receive calls, i know if i have spoken to that person or not. if it's a missed call it's in red.

is it a truly important feature that it is missing or are some of you simply nit-picking it to death as you have?

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
is it really all that difficult to tap the screen to get the vital "incoming or outgoing" call information? and how much time does that actually take? i make and receive calls, i know if i have spoken to that person or not. if it's a missed call it's in red.

is it a truly important feature that it is missing or are some of you simply nit-picking it to death as you have?
It's a common feature, found on nearly every phone in the industry - including one of the worst phones ever: the moto T720. It is a convenience that, when omitted, becomes an unnecessary annoyance. The lack of the capability indicates iPhone software was designed and implemented by MP3 player coders...as are several other "features" of the iPhone. It's certainly not the end of the world - it's just yet-another-example of the "phone of the future" missing some simple yet expected capabilities from 5 years ago.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
again, it is NOT ommitted! the calls are labeled incoming or outgoing but you have to tap on the call to get that information. the information is there. i'm simply asking if having to tap the screen is all that difficult or time consuming. someone said it would save a lot of time. how much time?

the information is there in this case, it is not missing some expected capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro