10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
I still see non-quad band phones from Nokia and SE. They just don't bring them into the U.S.

Quad band phones are so common they don't even make new gsm phones without them. Quad band gsm that is. We are talking about UMTS, which are dual band, but are not produced as quad band att, since there hasnt been a need.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
on the iPhone you simply press the phone button and then the keypad button. if you want to see your recent calls there is a "recent" button that shows you your missed and outgoing calls. the missed calls are highlighted in "red." i'm not sure how someone couldn't tell the difference between black or red other than the color blind. if so, there is a tab marked "missed" if that's all you want to see.

So it's 2 or maybe 3(if the backlight is out) presses instead of 1. That's like the WM5 touchscreen phones that have the keyboard hidden.

Recent calls can be in or out. According to some posters, there's no way to tell which are outgoing and which are incoming. Sometimes people need to remember. And this is usually marked on most phones in some way.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
you do have the option of never locking the device which would omit the sliding to unlock feature. then you press the SMS button, then msg button and the keyboard pops up.

is that really all that time consuming, onerous, or difficult to do?

Similar to the 8125 with the keyboard closed, and the like. Not really easier IMO. But I've done it before.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Had my first safari crash today. I had multiple webpages open and was going back and forth. Safari crashed and went back to the home screen. I didn't have to turn the device off or anything. I simply restarted Safari and went on my merry way.

Just curious, but are people remembering to clear out the cache after extensive browsing? I wonder if that has something to do with Safari crashes. Just a thought.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Good thought...

Just curious, but are people remembering to clear out the cache after extensive browsing? I wonder if that has something to do with Safari crashes. Just a thought.

I tend to clear it once a day and Usually have 6-7 tabs open all the time. Have had one crash to the Home screen so far.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Recent calls can be in or out. According to some posters, there's no way to tell which are outgoing and which are incoming.

yes, recent calls can be in or out! and guess what, it actually labels them as such. they're smartly labled "incoming" or "outgoing."

those posters that you reference either never bothered to check or don't own an iPhone.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
yes, recent calls can be in or out! and guess what, it actually labels them as such. they're smartly labled "incoming" or "outgoing."

those posters that you reference either never bothered to check or don't own an iPhone.
Yes they're labeled, but you have to select each call individually to see which it is. A simple color coding of incoming and outgoing would be better.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
I just can't resist sorry....

USA Today reports that early iPhone adopters are overwhelmingly happy with their iPhones.

In one of the first such studies, 90% of 200 owners said they were "extremely" or "very" satisfied with their phone. And 85% said they are "extremely" or "very" likely to recommend the device to others, says the online survey conducted and paid for by market researcher Interpret of Santa Monica, Calif. The firm surveyed 1,000 cellphone users July 6-10.

Of course, early adopters are a special population and may not reflect the satisfaction of later consumers as a whole. Some other interesting statistics that came from the studies are included:

? 51% of buyers were switching to AT&T from another carrier
? 35% of carrier switchers paid an early termination fee (avg $167) to switch
? 3 of 10 were first-time Apple customers.
? for 4 of 10, the iPhone was their first iPod
? New iPhone owners expected to pay about $35 more a month than their previous cellphone.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2007-07-12-iphone_N.htm#uslPageReturn

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
USA Today reports that early iPhone adopters are overwhelmingly happy with their iPhones.

People are overwhelmingly too fat and not fit enough. Does that make it right? People buy "newspapers" in scary numbers only to read about Paris Hilton & the like. Does that mean I should? :rolleyes:

iPhone is a pretty but fatally crippled smartphone. Not even if 101% of iPhone users thought it was the second coming would it make it half as capable for my actual needs as my 680.

Yes, I know Surur has been posting anecdotal evidence of iPhone horror-stories, but I've always thought that most iPhone users will be too undemanding (or even technically-challenged!) to notice either the design flaws or bugs.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
In one of the first such studies, 90% of 200 owners said they were "extremely" or "very" satisfied with their phone.
I knew it. Extremists make up the single biggest iPhone purchasing category. :eek: Where is the phone for the reasonable moderates? :confused: ;)

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
:

• 51% of buyers were switching to AT&T from another carrier
• 35% of carrier switchers paid an early termination fee (avg $167) to switch
• 3 of 10 were first-time Apple customers.
• for 4 of 10, the iPhone was their first iPod
• New iPhone owners expected to pay about $35 more a month than their previous cellphone.
Honestly and this is no joke or to down you llarson
I feel sorry for you and the poll.
I could debate and debate but it would do no good.You seem very smart yet not thinking about what apple has taken away form you.

Your stuck with edge speeds.
A pretty user interface.
nice screen..I will give the iphone that.
No option for 3rd party apps.
No way to take out the darn battery.

Your smart you know the deal man.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
They buy the iPhone because they are technically challenged ;)

Surur
Well, that is one way to describe them, not particularly charitable, but otherwise reasonable

Perhaps it would be more useful to say that, if they had any expectations, they were formed more by what Apple promised than by experience with some other device. For example, one persistent complaint is the absence of visibility into and use of the file system. Apple never led anyone to expect one, though the iPod has one. Few phone users, non-PC users, would expect one or even know what to do with it.

Another one is the absence of third party apps. Apple explicitly disclaimed any such apps. As a committed user of DA, and a beta tester of the newest feature-rich version, I expected to really miss it. However, after a little practice with google/m with its auto link to maps and maps to contacts, I hardly miss it at all.

I have concluded that many of the Treo appps that I have come to rely on compensated for the speed of Blazer and the Treo screen. With Safari, I do not need the BART trip planner, the New York City cross streets, or the NYC subway planner. There are perfectly acceptable web app substitutes. I still miss the ereader but I have even gotten over Splash Shopper.

As a command line user, I had to be dragged screaming and kicking to Windows. On the other hand Windows makes the computer useable and useful for toddlers and the elderly.

The iPhone will introduce many to the smartphone who might not have gotten there by another path.

I am not ready to give up my 650GSM. I still hope for a POS/GSM device. However, it better be at least as powerful the iPhone.

How satisfied one is with the iPhone, or any other gadget, is a function of one's expectations.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
They buy the iPhone because they are technically challenged ;)

Surur

:rolleyes: Glib little comment like this are so beneath you. :thumbsdn:

whmurray is mostly right. This is a question of expectations, not promises. Almost all of the smartphone geek complaints have been about what the iPhone doesn't have that our precious WM5/6, Palm, RIMM, or Symbian devices do have. Apple did not promise Exchange push; Flash; file explorer; or any number of these other features. From friends I know, and reports I've read, they did produce a good phone, great iPod, and very good web experience (on WiFi, not EDGE). At the same time, all of us pedestrian EDGE users who are not in 3G markets got a nice kick in the seat to our EDGE experience (mine still average 75-100% better than before the iPhone release on my Blackjack).

In fact, some of you same critics would claim I'm technically challenged for accepting a smartphone device in preference to an 8525 or other "true" power user device. Well, guess what, it does what I need better than the 8525 I had for two weeks; and is still "good enough" to keep me out of the iPhone camp.

Let's just stop putting down the iPhone crowd as technically inferior, because I know a lot of certified techno geeks who have jumped on its bandwagon. :cheers:

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Of course, early adopters are a special population and may not reflect the satisfaction of later consumers as a whole.

I'd argue, if anything they tend to be more critical. 1) They "into" this stuff and 2) for many it's about being the 1st on on their block.

? 51% of buyers were switching to AT&T from another carrier
? New iPhone owners expected to pay about $35 more a month than their previous cellphone.

So AT&T increased their customer base about 1% in a week...and another 1% increasing their bills by $35....That's a 570 million dollar revenue stream from a weekend's sales. Wonder how many peeps bought AT&T along with their Apple stock.

? 35% of carrier switchers paid an early termination fee (avg $167) to switch

So people 1/3 of people were willing to pay $750+ for the device ($600 + $167)

And how many were predicting a non-impact of the iPhone ? Yeah I guess the about to be dumped Motorola CEO Ed Zander was among them. Who gonna win the next market battle Razr2 at $199 or the iPhone2 at $299 ? Call ya broker and place ya bets.

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
This is a question of expectations, not promises. Almost all of the smartphone geek complaints have been about what the iPhone doesn't have that our precious WM5/6, Palm, RIMM, or Symbian devices do have. Apple did not promise Exchange push; Flash; file explorer; or any number of these other features.

Apple raised those expectations though. The small print was there, but the headline said it was better than any existing smartphone.

Which it isn't, as eny fule noes.

meyerweb#CB

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
The iPhone will introduce many to the smartphone who might not have gotten there by another path.

The iPhone is NOT a smart phone. It's a feature phone with a big screen and a fancy interface. But it's too crippled, functionally, to be a smart phone. The fact that it costs as much as a smartphone doesn't make it one.

MHO, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR