10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
The last word on safari crashes (unless people continue to dispute that Safari crashes a lot)

Surur
Safari has crashed several times on me during my first week of ownership. Yep, it crashes. *gasp* Yep, the iPhone was released 1 week ago. Yep. It's highly unstable and likely to crash at any second. We get it.

POS was released more than a week ago. Many years ago. Bone stock, it still crashes, resets, etc. Hmm.

WM was released more than a week ago. Many years ago. Bone stock, it still crashes, locks up, etc. Hmm.

iPhone was released a week ago. One app crashes. It may be fixed sometime in the next many years. Maybe, just maybe.

I find it amusing people seem shocked to the core than a week old Apple product has a few bugs. Just because it's Apple, if it's not PERFECT, the trolls attack. Great stuff, actually! :crazy:

I can't believe I'm being lured back into this thread. It's a waste of life, but oddly entertaining.

BTW, Safari crashes, in case anyone hasn't heard! Run for teh HILLSE!!

Again, I'd really love some fruit roll-ups...

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Come on, even as an iPhone owner I get a kick out of reading this thread. I have never ever had a safari crash, or any other crash, and I have been trying since I read that CNN method. Even tried with youtube instead of iPod, to no avail. Does that make me special, or everyone who suffers from this an idiot? I dunno. I don't care. But I get plenty of good reading out of this thread. There's nothing personal, nothing said here is going to make me return my phone, or stop anyone from buying it. It will, hopefully, make most tc readers feel good about their decision not to buy one. Which is good for them. Reading long threads like this help me apprecate my non-crashing-safari :)

I typed this with my iphone, sorry if there are any errors lol

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
And your point is?

The last word on safari crashes (unless people continue to dispute that Safari crashes a lot)

http://www.everythingiphone.com/forum/iphone/have-anyone-experience-these-4576.html

Surur

That there are some crashes, and crash means the application Safari quits sending you back to the Home screen not freezing the phone, so the iPHONE is a failure. Not following you on this one Surur but then again only a few people do.

So far all I have taken away from this thread and the people who have posted ad nauseam cuts and paste, again showing they don't own a iPHONE because we can't :rolleyes: , of threads from iPHONE boards is...

1. Most of you feel strongly that most people who bought and or will buy an iPHONE are stupid (and this is a word most of you have used often).

2. Apple and Steve Jobs have lied to the world about the iPHONE and you're mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore.

3. People who bought and or will buy an iPHONE are stupid (and this is a word most of you have used often).

4. The iPHONE doesn't have (fill in the blank here for what you think is the end all be all program) so it sucks.

5. People who bought and or will buy an iPHONE are stupid (and this is a word most of you have used often).

6. To be a truly useful phone you must be able to install 3rd party apps even if that means your phone crashes, and by this i mean freezes and requires you to do a reset and restart your phone, several times a day but at least you can say you have 3rd party apps!

7. People who bought and or will buy an iPHONE are stupid (and this is a word most of you have used often).

Well if you are right Apple will be broke come this time next year and you will be vindicated.

Time will tell if the iPHONE is the what many think it is a giant evolutionary leap forward in cell phone UI and ease of use.

I think by this time next year the iPHONE will have a good portion of the cell phone market and most of you will be using iPHONE clones as cell phones.

Thank you and good night all. Catch you later.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Safari has crashed several times on me during my first week of ownership. Yep, it crashes. *gasp* Yep, the iPhone was released 1 week ago. Yep. It's highly unstable and likely to crash at any second. We get it.

POS was released more than a week ago. Many years ago. Bone stock, it still crashes, resets, etc. Hmm.

WM was released more than a week ago. Many years ago. Bone stock, it still crashes, locks up, etc. Hmm.

iPhone was released a week ago. One app crashes. It may be fixed sometime in the next many years. Maybe, just maybe.

I find it amusing people seem shocked to the core than a week old Apple product has a few bugs. Just because it's Apple, if it's not PERFECT, the trolls attack. Great stuff, actually! :crazy:

Apple has never made half *** products . This thing is going to be rock solid .

Its all about expectations (not being met of course).

BTW, more than one apps crashes. Google maps also crashes. In addition I think it has memory management issues. It only has 128 MB RAM you know, not much to run a multi-tasking OS with "desktop quality apps".

Surur

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Suck it up and except the fact the iPHONE is here and will more then likely drive the other phone developers to copy its GUI.

Come next year you will more then likely be using a iPHONE rip-off phone.
That began long ago. I can't believe WM folks are actually copying the iPhone. It sucks and Safari crashes, right?... :confused:

"Slide 2 Unlock" (is that the iPhone unlocker?)
http://tinyurl.com/2pv67j

iphoneslidertounlockyv7.png

"Finger scroller" (is that theiPhone contacts scroller?)
http://tinyurl.com/2n9ljg

iphonecontactscrollno7.jpg

Tip of the iceberg. Expect everyone to copy the iPhone. Everyone. My advice to them: Don't copy Safari. It crashes. Nightmare. :cheers:

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
That began long ago. I can't believe WM folks are actually copying the iPhone. It sucks and Safari crashes, right?... :confused:

"Slide 2 Unlock" (is that the iPhone unlocker?)

"Finger scroller" (is that theiPhone contacts scroller?)

Tip of the iceberg. Expect everyone to copy the iPhone. Everyone. My advice to them: Don't copy Safari. It crashes. Nightmare. :cheers:
Couple of points here Eric:

1)
Yes people ported over iPhone functionality (way before the iPhone was released). The PPC community is very strong and creative like that and in fact, those programs are both free and simple to use--plus emulating devices is just fun. People have made WM look like XP, OSX, PalmOS, Linux and every other thing imaginable. So these iPhone ports are not unusual or special.

2) On a device with a front keyboard and even more so with a WM Treo, both programs you cite are actually terrible UIs. Why? (see below)

3)
MS and Palm are both known to be working on more one-handed, large icon, touch-based interfaces with cleaner (and in MS's case, highly flexible) UIs.

This is not a "copy" of Apple though as information on their future OSs was shown nearly a year-ago to some insiders (see Brighthand and Engadget who have both reported on these). Rather, this is just the current and logical trend in the Mobile industry.

- WM does not need to 'flip and scroll' to find contacts, we just type the contact name and it brings it up, right on the Today Screen. This is much faster and and more accurate than a "flip and scan" approach.

- The slide-to-lock is also awful since the WM Treo has the Keyguard program, which is one-handed and simpler to use.

So both of those programs are only good for non-keyboard devices or ones with slide-out keyboards. They are antithetical to Treo usage.

You leave out a critical distinction:

The iPhone is closed to 3rd party applications so any instability is due solely to the OS and programming. More importantly, the inability to use 3rd party programs was done on purpose to reduce instability, that was the "brilliant insight" of Jobs.

This was suppose to the major advantage with the iPhone over POS and WM, yet it still has some issues.

By comparison, at least on a WM device, I would challenge anyone to find any site that "crashes" PIE--in fact I have never seen it. It seems to only happen when people get funky and start moving cache to storage cards, installing "plug ins" for PIE, etc. That is, unsupported hacks or modifications to the OS/PIE.

So your comparison is not accurate since the environments are rarely the same.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
That there are some crashes, and crash means the application Safari quits sending you back to the Home screen not freezing the phone, so the iPHONE is a failure. Not following you on this one Surur but then again only a few people do.

So far all I have taken away from this thread and the people who have posted ad nauseam cuts and paste, again showing they don't own a iPHONE because we can't :rolleyes: , of threads from iPHONE boards is...
Wow...that was the worst run on sentence ever. I can almost understand what you were trying to get at though, so let's move on.

1. Most of you feel strongly that most people who bought and or will buy an iPHONE are stupid (and this is a word most of you have used often).

2. Apple and Steve Jobs have lied to the world about the iPHONE and you're mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore.

3. People who bought and or will buy an iPHONE are stupid (and this is a word most of you have used often).

4. The iPHONE doesn't have (fill in the blank here for what you think is the end all be all program) so it sucks.

5. People who bought and or will buy an iPHONE are stupid (and this is a word most of you have used often).

6. To be a truly useful phone you must be able to install 3rd party apps even if that means your phone crashes, and by this i mean freezes and requires you to do a reset and restart your phone, several times a day but at least you can say you have 3rd party apps!

7. People who bought and or will buy an iPHONE are stupid (and this is a word most of you have used often).

Well if you are right Apple will be broke come this time next year and you will be vindicated.

Time will tell if the iPHONE is the what many think it is a giant evolutionary leap forward in cell phone UI and ease of use.

I think by this time next year the iPHONE will have a good portion of the cell phone market and most of you will be using iPHONE clones as cell phones.

You finally got it!:rolleyes:

Lucky for Apple and their stock, the world is full of stupid people.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
But as I have said you guys seem to be lacking something and these threads seem to make you feel better about yourselves and your gadget so do what you have to.
Done pseudo-psychoanalayzing?

Point is:
Why do you care so much what is posted in this thread? Why do you feel you need to reply to these posts? What does that say about yourself?

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Malatesta,

I have respect for you...read many useful posts from you during my Palm/WM days. I've used just about every device and platform out there, so I'm very familiar with the point you are making. In fact, I tried those programs on my Mogul recently (which I've since returned). The iPhone will be opened up to 3rd party apps, so are you saying we should expect resets, etc, like WM and Palm have? I know that's a convenient reason for unstability on Palm/WM, but you have to admit as a "mature" OS', they remain natively unstable as virgin devices.

I am really just tossing chum in the water with this thread, as everyone else. My postings are just for fun.

WM is great
iPhone is great
Palm is great
RIM is great

They all have tremendously helped me both personally and professionally. In fact, I don't think I would have been able to be so productive without these devices. I just happen to find the iPhone to be a refreshing tool that does what I want it to do, efficiently and effectively. Many, many others disagree. That's the beauty of choice.

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site

Nothing personal but at least I am not so pitiful to try and find away to immulate the UI on my device...that is hilarious let alone purchasing a clone. If you are enjoying your ibone that much and the comments here upset you refrain from this thread(e.g. turn the channel).

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Way to make it circular! You're not very good at arguing are you?

Why do you think I have any interest in arguing an opinion. Afterall, its just a cell phone. If a Windows or Palm device is more likening, then good for you. I for one, prefer the iPhone (for now). You can try to talk me out of it all you want, but in my opinion, I have had it with an OS that hasn't seen an upgrade in 5 years (POS), and another one with a terrible UI (Win mobile).

You may have the exact opposite opinion, and I say good for you.

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
Why do you think I have any interest in arguing an opinion. Afterall, its just a cell phone. If a Windows or Palm device is more likening, then good for you. I for one, prefer the iPhone (for now). You can try to talk me out of it all you want, but in my opinion, I have had it with an OS that hasn't seen an upgrade in 5 years (POS), and another one with a terrible UI (Win mobile).

You may have the exact opposite opinion, and I say good for you.

I concur with Win and the terrible UI.:thumbsup:

HolyHannah

Apr 9, 2007
Visit site
What would a Treo user want with an iPhone?

The big hesitation for me is still 9, the contract more than anything.

So Safari crashes? Interesting. 4, 6 and 7 are also concerns I already mentioned in other threads.

I looked at a tester. The phone feels solid and does respond to the touchscreen. Seems to work on wifi pretty well. The high resolution colorful screen is as advertised. It's just the restrictions leaving me saying "should I or shouldn't I move one of my numbers to an iPhone?".

Ah, the joys of Treo ownership... My trusty old Blackberry looks better and better! :)

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Couple of points here Eric:

1)
Yes people ported over iPhone functionality (way before the iPhone was released). The PPC community is very strong and creative like that and in fact, those programs are both free and simple to use--plus emulating devices is just fun. People have made WM look like XP, OSX, PalmOS, Linux and every other thing imaginable. So these iPhone ports are not unusual or special.

2) On a device with a front keyboard and even more so with a WM Treo, both programs you cite are actually terrible UIs. Why? (see below)

3)
MS and Palm are both known to be working on more one-handed, large icon, touch-based interfaces with cleaner (and in MS's case, highly flexible) UIs.

This is not a "copy" of Apple though as information on their future OSs was shown nearly a year-ago to some insiders (see Brighthand and Engadget who have both reported on these). Rather, this is just the current and logical trend in the Mobile industry.

- WM does not need to 'flip and scroll' to find contacts, we just type the contact name and it brings it up, right on the Today Screen. This is much faster and and more accurate than a "flip and scan" approach.

- The slide-to-lock is also awful since the WM Treo has the Keyguard program, which is one-handed and simpler to use.

So both of those programs are only good for non-keyboard devices or ones with slide-out keyboards. They are antithetical to Treo usage.

You leave out a critical distinction:

The iPhone is closed to 3rd party applications so any instability is due solely to the OS and programming. More importantly, the inability to use 3rd party programs was done on purpose to reduce instability, that was the "brilliant insight" of Jobs.

This was suppose to the major advantage with the iPhone over POS and WM, yet it still has some issues.

By comparison, at least on a WM device, I would challenge anyone to find any site that "crashes" PIE--in fact I have never seen it. It seems to only happen when people get funky and start moving cache to storage cards, installing "plug ins" for PIE, etc. That is, unsupported hacks or modifications to the OS/PIE.

So your comparison is not accurate since the environments are rarely the same.

Good post :thumbsup: btw I tried iPhoney b4 June 29th...it was ok but limited (as you can only use 8 icons when i use about 15 apps)....also did anyone know that using Butler 4.x on treos the slide to unlock feature was avaliable already (or did they put that in after seeing the iPhone in Jan 2007?? COuld be!) - personally I find pressing a button to unlock easier (one-handed)...

Merovingian

Sep 27, 2006
Visit site

Look, you have a point, but what most people find offensive is that they're charging folks an un-subsidized price for a device that further requires a lenghty contract, has very tightly-controlled and therefore somewhat limiting features, lacking some very basic options and on and on..so forth.

I know lots of folks who like their iPhone and tried to convince me to get one, but the downsides far outweigh the upsides for me personally. I can't go without a qwerty keyboard (Sprint 700Wx), period, bluetooth stereo, extended batteries (no matter how much juice a device has, it's always good to get a spare or at least have the option to get one, having to send it your phone plus pay $29 to rent one is retarded), no 3G (Sprint and Verizon are making a killing with their EVDO offerings, no GSM carrier in the States even comes close, especially to Sprint at $15/month)...i could go on, but what's the point.

Sorry, a $500-$600 locked-down GSM phone will not "have a good portion of the cell phone market" like you say. At that price point it doesn't work for everyone or the majority.

Let us all let it be. Some like it and it works for them, others don't and it's not for them, like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro