10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Wishful thinking, but I doubt it.

The same reason why you have to send it out instead of taking it to an Apple store.

The battery is soldered to the logic board :thumbsdn:

Although Apple doesn't specifically say that the battery can't be replaced by users, early examinations of the iPhone's innards confirmed that it would be nearly impossible. IFixIt.com, which conducted one of the first iPhone "tear-downs," noted that the battery is soldered to the device's logic board; a second tear-down by AnandTech.com photographed the battery's leads in a closeup that clearly showed the soldering.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
You'd think they would just be swapping out the iPhone instead of unsoldering and resoldering the battery.
That'd be nice but then in 400 days Apple would have a huge lot of used iPhones while giving out thousands of new ones.

They only do that in the 30-day window after purchasing.

After that, all repairs are sent in to Apple regardless of issue. A loaner still costs $29 while it is out.

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
Service...

That'd be nice but then in 400 days Apple would have a huge lot of used iPhones while giving out thousands of new ones.

They only do that in the 30-day window after purchasing.

After that, all repairs are sent in to Apple regardless of issue. A loaner still costs $29 while it is out.

Service definitely was not in mind in the developement of the iphone.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
and rom updates with Palm....and form factor for that matter....and battery life.....and no wi-fi......and no crashing and no hang ups....and...

:)

Just like you say your iPhone is rock solid, my 650 and now 755 was about as solid as can be. I've had 3 resets in 6 weeks and all due to installing apps that I felt would cause a problem. I just had to test the waters. No lag, fast and I have over 30 3rd party apps installed. I guess we all get lucky once in awhile.:)

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
good for you JohnH59! glad to hear of your success.

Since most forums are "gripe" sessions, I thought since you were sharing how stable your device is that I thought it would be nice show that not all Treos are as quirky as you think.;)

Have a great day!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
au, contraire! i used to enjoy the Treo lineup until some other carrier offered the same feature set (that matched my needs) in a much smaller form factor.

you could hardly call the 680 a smaller form factor....but maybe you and the others could? i'm sure one of you will find a way!

have fun! :)

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Today's article at CNet, discussing why Apple is so successful in consumer products that are still technically solid, quoted a third party software developer in what has got to be one of the best explanations I've ever seen:

With the iPhone--and most high-tech gadgets--the secret sauce comes down to software design, a field where the good stuff is akin to artwork. And this is where so many of the intangibles that we've come to associate with Silicon Valley come in. I put the question to Brad Meador, one of the principals at ClearContext, a San Francisco-based software developer, who said the answer boiled down to two basic elements.

"Listen to what the market needs and strive to meet those needs in as simple a way as possible," he said. "It's a little tricky because the initial feedback you get on a new software product is usually from a more tech-savvy, early adopter crowd, a group that's prone to lead you down a path of too much complexity for the market you're ultimately trying to reach.

"Software designers need to make sure that their products 'just work,' he continued. "Features that are buried in the user interface are unlikely to be used. Packages that require anything beyond basic configuration to provide value will lose most of their customers within minutes."

http://news.com.com/2010-1041_3-6195110.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5&subj=news

I have always been one of those leading the "feature" charge...make it a Swiss army knife, and I doubt I will change. But as usual, Apple has aimed for, and hit, a major part of the public that just wants a device that works, not one that you have to immediately install VolumeCare, tweak the registry, and go through other hoops to do the things we geeks want. Face it, we may be at the top of the techno food chain, but we are a VERY SMALL minority.

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Could there be a recall of iPhones? :D

Ironically, it is this lack of ?real-life social interaction? amongst the initial purchasers of iPhone, that meant the omission was not discovered for over a week after the launch.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
-software design akin to artwork.
-Listen to what the market needs
-meet those needs in as simple a way as possible
-make sure that their products just work

as usual, Apple has aimed for, and hit, a major part of the public that just wants a device that works, not one that you have to immediately install VolumeCare, tweak the registry, and go through other hoops to do the things we geeks want

FINALLY A VOICE OF REASON!!!!

hallefakinluja!!!!!!

:)

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
The way iPods and iPhones are built, you can easily destroy the device if you don't know what you're doing. I'd rather have them do it and if they destroy it, it'll be on them. But there's less of a chance.

Can say that about everything from changing the oil in ya car to replacing the battery on ya MoBo. Overtighten that nut and ya oil pan screwed.....a bit of static electricity.....

Of course some things are more complicated than others. I modify high end audio equipment (self taught) replacing stock caps w/ mylar ones and other changes and I haven't blown anything up yet. I have built over 60 desktop computers .... granted not everyone is capable of doing those things.....other people are capable of doin things I wouldn't attempt. The article clearly states this is a consideration only for "out of warranty" units and I think that serves as enough warning that there';s a risk here if ya don't know what you are doing.

But the point is the option will be available. The same complaint was made about the iPod and that article was one of the many results. But there will; be the Apple Option, the 3rd party option and the do-it-yourself option. Every consumer can choose what is right for him.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Oalvarez, can you please get of your high horse?

No-one has denied that Apple has made a mass market product. Many people have said that they do not want a mass market product, they want a capable device.

Your example re the hammer illustrates this well. You may just need a hammer from the local department store, but a workman may need a nailgun (or whatever) that can do 60 nails a minute. For them the effort in learning the tool is justified, and it pays of in increased productivity.

Just because McDonald's has found the perfect way to sell 100 million burgers does not mean I have to eat there, or not say the food at my local restaurant is better.

You may consider yourself the man on the street, and enjoy the Iphone due to this. However, just like a McDonald's burger, popularity does not mean its better.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
However, just like a McDonald's burger, popularity does not mean its better.
Sure, I doubt many of us would say popularity is a great measure of what's good. In my view the best phone OS I've used is S60, which is the most popular, but the best desktop OS is OS X, which isn't. I suspect that in making those judgements you'd also pick one that's the most popular and one that's not (although your choices would be different to mine).

Not everything that is popular is equivalent to a McDonald's burger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73