- 07-24-2007, 03:57 PM #1551
- 07-24-2007, 03:59 PM #1552
- 07-24-2007, 04:02 PM #1553
But it's all context
(a) In terms of market predictions/expectations: meet, exceed or fall below?
(b) Trend: did they peak that weekend and the sales dwindled? Did they peak that weekend but sales held consistent at a relatively high level? Did they not peak till mid week? Fill in X scenario here, etc. etc.
Obviously (a) is just snapshot but (b) will be more interesting as we'll may begin to see some long-term predictions.
Personally, I think sales will be strong but below expectations. I also think with the rapid advancement of the industry as a whole, it'll be difficult for Apple to remain "fresh" in the market as more and more devices (with new features, cheaper, more stylish) flood the market in the coming months.
Apple can counter that by (1) releasing a lower-level device in 6 months (2) a 3g device next year (3) "Big" software updates that significantly improve the device with new functions along with correlating promotion of the new "revision".
- 07-24-2007, 04:05 PM #1554
Still, it's possible over 500,000 phones were sold in the first two days, but AT&T's abysmal sign up process prevented the new owners from actually getting online. You might say the AT&T weak link retarded the whole process.
- 07-24-2007, 04:08 PM #1557
- 07-24-2007, 04:09 PM #1558
146,000 "activations" for less than two days of sales. i'm sure we'll see a different number come this wednesday (3q07 earnings). i'm not saying good nor bad, just saying that the number that will hopefully be reported on wednesday to be materially different.
having said that, lets see if this helps push them to release fixes/updates and perhaps even a 3G device sooner than later.
- 07-24-2007, 04:12 PM #1559
Personally, I'm hoping Apple announces 500,000 or more sales in the first week, for no other reason than the enjoyment of watching all the analysts who initially predicted huge sales, and now have dropped their predictions to absurdly low levels, having to scramble again to explain themselves. (I'm looking at you, Piper Jaffrey. Remember what you did in 1998? Yeah, I didn't think so.)
- 07-24-2007, 04:13 PM #1560
- 07-24-2007, 04:35 PM #1562
- 07-24-2007, 04:38 PM #1563
Why are people expecting Apple to announce full week sales? Their quarter ends June 30 just like AT&T, right? Meaning, unless someone knows otherwise, I'd expect them to report sales through June 30. I suppose they could release more numbers just because people are curious...
- 07-24-2007, 04:41 PM #1564
- 07-24-2007, 04:43 PM #1565
- 07-24-2007, 04:43 PM #1566
- 07-24-2007, 04:45 PM #1567
- 07-24-2007, 04:48 PM #1568
i doubt the week-long numbers paint a rosier picture than the weekend. I assume the weekend numbers will be surprising high, and that it petered out during the week to a more stable number. In other words, the per-day sales for that first weekend is going to be much higher than for the remaining days. They may, however, report web sales, depending on their accounting method. Their site was completely bogged down for hours after 6pm, so I assume they sold quite a lot.
- 07-24-2007, 04:49 PM #1569
By July 5 they'd sold out almost everywhere:
This tells us two things I think:
1) to a certain extent sales in the first w/end were constrained by supply (at the stores that sold out within 30 hours of launch);
2) it kept selling (probably in reasonable numbers) beyond Saturday evening (as the other stores would sell out a few days later).
- 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM #1571
- 07-24-2007, 05:01 PM #1572
- 07-24-2007, 05:03 PM #1573
Anyone read this story yet?
"Why is Apple porting its browser to Windows? To take over the world, of course."
It's actually a good read that ties a couple of things together:
(1) Apple's port of Safari to Windows
(2) Web only apps for the iPhone
- 07-24-2007, 05:08 PM #1574
- 07-24-2007, 05:10 PM #1575