10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
I have actually said quite a bit about the iPhone. Me think ye memory is selective.

.... acttually, its "methinks." (st least it was 400 years ago)

Seriously, despite the utter disintegration of this thread into sheer madness, I feel inclined to post the following link from Microsoft Watch, wherein the knight Quixote surveys the dry AndaLusian landscape and locates a steed to replace the fine mount, Rocinante, and declares the poweful steed "iPhone":

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/its_not_iphone_its_my_phone.html

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

Seriously, despite the utter disintegration of this thread into sheer madness, I feel inclined to post the following link from Microsoft Watch, wherein the knight Quixote surveys the dry AndaLusian landscape and locates a steed to replace the fine mount, Rocinante, and declares the poweful steed "iPhone":

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/its_not_iphone_its_my_phone.html

Me "think different!"

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
What they need to do is a tPhone compared to iPhone survey and review.The tPhone has alot of good things happening that apple should of added lol lol
It's funny but true.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

You know Microsoft-watch is actually like enron-watch? You know, not exactly friendly?

I have refrained in the main from posting blog articles, as I dont see them as real users, but rather people trying to grandstand. I have a few however that may tickle your fancy. Just ask.

Surur

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
You know Microsoft-watch is actually like enron-watch? You know, not exactly friendly?
But ironically, their website doesn't format correctly in Firefox, but it does format well in Internet Explorer. They're probably using Front Page to build that site! :D

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Questions,
2)How much does it cost for handset protection for the iphone?
I have mine insured the same way my 650 was, through my insurance company for about a third what people pay to have their phone insured through their service providers.

What laptop that's less than 5 years old hasn't shipped with internal WiFi? Just in case that's not clear enough, yes to the first question. Can be configured with 802.11a/g/n. The screen size is 17" 1900x1200. Software: Microsoft Works but can be customized with whatever flavor of Office you want. Plus a bunch of other bundles stuff like CD burning software, etc. Anyways, you can check it all out yourself right here. I'm pretty sure that's the laptop he was referring to.
Apple products definitely cost more upfront, but TCO has been shown to be less. Less need for tech support, longer life and better resale value are all contributing factors. My 6 year old Mac still runs the newest version of Photoshop, OS X, and many other power apps. It's a dual 1GHz G4 and it's still running along just fine doing exactly what i need it to. It seems that OS upgrades don’t bring with them the increase in overhead that is seen on the Windows side. Find me a 6 year old windows box that initially cost about $3500 thats running Vista and that could still be resold for somewhere around $900 and we'll have a fair comparison. But that’s all way off topic at this point.

as I dont see them as real users, but rather people trying to grandstand.
pot-kettle-black.jpg

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Would be funny to see WM 6 on the iPHONE.

And you thought Apple was crazy for locking the phone. All part of the plan, Lock phone tempt hackers, Hackers make new programs, Apple saves money in R&D, people get what they want from hackers, Apple makes $$$$.

Too clever by half.

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
That is rediculous.

What does rediculous mean ?

If you meant ridiculous, it is by no means so. Look at every initial announcement by Engadget and the like with regard to a product release and it's based upon a leak from an anonymous someone. Many are met with formal announcements to the contrary. When there's no fanfare against, they are right far more often than they are wrong. So, history does not support your position. And walk into an AT&T store, my son has been stopping in occasionally waiting for one to show up. He was told 1.25 million activations so far....not counting on line orders waiting to ship.

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site

Did ya notice.....

"That said, I've also changed my charging habits. I run the batter done to zero, as I would with an iPod, before recharging it in the hope of extending the battery life."

That matches the instructions in my laptop manual only the laptop calls for the procedure to be done only monthly.

JackNaylorPE

Feb 15, 2005
Visit site
Seriously, I want the freedom to do what I want with my device. This is my one issue with the iPhone. Give me Liberty or give me a Treo! This really does fit into the net neutrality issue and Apple and ATT controlling what you can do with your device beyond it's own technical limitations is not the direction I want to see mobile computing head.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/11/apple-announces-3rd-parties-can-write-web-2-0-apps-for-iphone

The statement that the iPhone can not have 3rd party apps is not true. It will be able to run 3rd party Web 2.0 based apps. Will that is still a restriction, I find that most of the programs I have on my Treo can now be replaced by even simple web pages.

TipPro on the Treo replaced by http://www.onlineconversion.com/tip_calculator.htm

Directory Assistant Replaced by:
www.yellowpages.com / www.white pages.com

While no one is saying the Web 2.0 programs will have the breadth and depth of what we have on the Treo, lets remember that the market for Treos is only 500,000 a year. Four outta five peeps using phones in my family won't take a Treo or anything like it for free simply because it's "way more than they need or want". There's just not that many programs that a regular joe / jane would want or need that can't be replaced by Web 2.0

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

If you meant ridiculous, it is by no means so. Look at every initial announcement by Engadget and the like with regard to a product release and it's based upon a leak from an anonymous someone. Many are met with formal announcements to the contrary. When there's no fanfare against, they are right far more often than they are wrong. So, history does not support your position. And walk into an AT&T store, my son has been stopping in occasionally waiting for one to show up. He was told 1.25 million activations so far....not counting on line orders waiting to ship.

Maybe I should have used the word "specious" rather than ridiculous.

The absence of contrary claims does not make something true.

If 1.25M iPhones have been activated, not including those ordered online - meaning that 1.25M were bought through stores - I'd say there is something afoot....being told by a wonk at AT&T Store is hardly ironclad.

I'm not saying that thay have not sold that many, but that I find a.) the lack of iPhones in the wild, and b.) the lack of confirmed statements from Apple (who is not shy with their numbers) makes me want more evidence.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/11/apple-announces-3rd-parties-can-write-web-2-0-apps-for-iphone

The statement that the iPhone can not have 3rd party apps is not true. It will be able to run 3rd party Web 2.0 based apps. Will that is still a restriction, I find that most of the programs I have on my Treo can now be replaced by even simple web pages.

TipPro on the Treo replaced by http://www.onlineconversion.com/tip_calculator.htm

While no one is saying the Web 2.0 programs will have the breadth and depth of what we have on the Treo, lets remember that the market for Treos is only 500,000 a year. Four outta five peeps using phones in my family won't take a Treo or anything like it for free simply because it's "way more than they need or want". There's just not that many programs that a regular joe / jane would want or need that can't be replaced by Web 2.0

That's just speculation. The Palm commercial software is a testament that there is a market for mobile applications. And seeing that the iPhone charts new ground with UI there are lots of compelling uses for 3rd party apps. Especially considering the iPhone didn't ship with an astoundingly large number of native apps.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

"Web 2.0 apps" Spin of the year.

It's a web page with some plugins, extentions, javascript, ajax, etc.

3rd party apps have long been understood to be client apps, utilizing a published SDK (or API).

I'm not saying web apps aren't importants, and will not grow.

But, there are certain apps on mobile devices that should be local, as it addresses the connectionless nature of the web.

- Email (unless you used web based mail exclusively)
- Chat (Sorry, Meebo and the others won't cut it)
- PIMs (Agendus and the like)
- Document viewers/editors

It's the combination of the client app and the web that makes things powerful on the device.

Unless you can have guaranteed connections and high speeds, the "web as platform" paradign only goes so far.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
That's just speculation. The Palm commercial software is a testament that there is a market for mobile applications. And seeing that the iPhone charts new ground with UI there are lots of compelling uses for 3rd party apps. Especially considering the iPhone didn't ship with an astoundingly large number of native apps.
The need for mobile, internet enabled apps on Palm OS is driven by the fact that Blazer sucks. My most used apps on my 650 were single purpose apps like DA, flightstatus, etc. I don't need apps like that because i have a real browser now. Not only that, but Safari on my iPhone loads full webpages faster than blazer could load the mobile version of the same page.

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
No

I have refrained in the main from posting blog articles, as I dont see them as real users, but rather people trying to grandstand. I have a few however that may tickle your fancy. Just ask.

Surur

Aaah. No. Disregard the horse thing, then. Still, people seem to like the (thus incomplete, admittedly) iPhone.

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
Did ya notice.....

"That said, I've also changed my charging habits. I run the batter done to zero, as I would with an iPod, before recharging it in the hope of extending the battery life."

That matches the instructions in my laptop manual only the laptop calls for the procedure to be done only monthly.

Right. Doing that actually shortens the life span of the battery, I understand.

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
"Web 2.0 apps" Spin of the year.

It's a web page with some plugins, extentions, javascript, ajax, etc.

3rd party apps have long been understood to be client apps, utilizing a published SDK (or API).

I'm not saying web apps aren't importants, and will not grow.

But, there are certain apps on mobile devices that should be local, as it addresses the connectionless nature of the web.

- Email (unless you used web based mail exclusively)
- Chat (Sorry, Meebo and the others won't cut it)
- PIMs (Agendus and the like)
- Document viewers/editors

It's the combination of the client app and the web that makes things powerful on the device.

Unless you can have guaranteed connections and high speeds, the "web as platform" paradign only goes so far.

I can't disagree at all with this criticism. I love the device, but it needs some serious enhancements, though not many improvements, despite the "61 bugs" thing. Minor bugs, by the way, and solid stability.

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site

It's Valley-Girl for ridiculous, as in, "Oh My God, I am rully rully sorry."

Status
Not open for further replies.