10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
to be clear, if the caller leaves a voicemail then you will have a voicemail indication (both on the phone icon and in the phone/voicemail application, regardless whether browsing or not.

True, but as I said, if the caller opts not to leave a message, I will never know they called. My blackberry logs all calls. I love the iPhone, but lets face it Steve Jobs said the killer app for the iPhone is "making calls". To me, that is the one are of the phone that needs alot of work.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Agree, on a 3G network can you receive data and take incoming calls?

True, but as I said, if the caller opts not to leave a message, I will never know they called. My blackberry logs all calls. I love the iPhone, but lets face it Steve Jobs said the killer app for the iPhone is "making calls". To me, that is the one are of the phone that needs alot of work.

What phones will do this?

Besides the BB!

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
The more Apple adds to the iPhone, the more complex it will get. Eventually, where will be the ease-of-use advantage?

Surur
Adding apps doesnt have to make it more complex. And no one will be forcing you to add apps. You will most likely have some standard apps, others will probably be added when the user adds them. You keep the level of simplicity you want.

How is that not nickle-and-diming? Isn't that the definition of the term?
They aren't charging me for any add on ability. I'm not saying it will only work with their device, just that they will want to maximize their stereo BT headset sales by releasing it at the same time. But we'll have to wait and see...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Adding apps doesnt have to make it more complex. And no one will be forcing you to add apps. You will most likely have some standard apps, others will probably be added when the user adds them. You keep the level of simplicity you want.

I said the more apps APPLE adds. You wont have the choice to add it or not. Lets look at the rumoured update.

iChat (instant messenging program)
custom ringtones
iPhone file browser
widescreen keyboard
select/copy/paste text functionality
better Leopard integration (i.e. drag and drop files)
full Spotlight searching
Exchange support for other non-IMAP protocols
iWork
software camera stablization system
WiFi based file sharing (share photos, etc with other iPhones nearby)

I can see at least 4 that will need extra icons on the home screen.

Surur

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnteL0pe View Post

I said the more apps APPLE adds. You wont have the choice to add it or not. Lets look at the rumoured update.

Quote:
iChat (instant messenging program)
custom ringtones
iPhone file browser
widescreen keyboard
select/copy/paste text functionality
better Leopard integration (i.e. drag and drop files)
full Spotlight searching
Exchange support for other non-IMAP protocols
iWork
software camera stablization system
WiFi based file sharing (share photos, etc with other iPhones nearby)

I can see at least 4 that will need extra icons on the home screen.

Surur

If Apple ads these and that is a BIG IF...in your opinion Surur will the iPHONE be a better phone as a business tool and better situated to take on Palm?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
If Apple ads these and that is a BIG IF...in your opinion Surur will the iPHONE be a better phone as a business tool and better situated to take on Palm?

It will fix some problems, but Apple could get 90% there simply by releasing a SDK.

Surur

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Don't think that will ever happen

It will fix some problems, but Apple could get 90% there simply by releasing a SDK.

Surur

I think as you said, was it you or some one else, Apple has watched and learned from Palm and others and I think one of the lessons they learned was 3rd party apps cause problems.

I think the iPHONE will be closed to all but hand picked and monitored developers.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
yep

An SDK would go a long way to making the iPhone better.

I still want my 3G... ;-)

Saw my second iPhone in the wild today, btw. I asked the guy how he liked it.

"the best iPod ever".

What about the phone?

"It's all right".

What about wifi?

(thumbs up).

what about edge?

(sour face).

But overall, a happy camper.

(he did complain about the recessed jack, but said "it's Apple, what do you expect?" (I chuckled at that).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I think as you said, was it you or some one else, Apple has watched and learned from Palm and others and I think one of the lessons they learned was 3rd party apps cause problems.

I think the iPHONE will be closed to all but hand picked and monitored developers.

Then, for me, it will never be good enough. As we know, there are more than enough people who dont mind the lock-in. On the other hand, it seems the iPhone has already been throughly hacked, so Apple's intentions may not have much to do with it in the near future.

whatswrong.jpg

One wonders if, like the PSP, hacking the device will become a mainstream activity, since the things it allows, such as custom wallpaper and ring tones, are pretty mainstream also.

Surur

bcaslis#IM

Jun 18, 2002
caslis.com
So are you saying that if the phone doesn't ring the blackberry logs the call? Or are you saying the blackberry always rings? I don't know how you could log a missed call if the phone doesn't ring.

Don't know why you are getting missed calls. Have you tried powering it off and then back on to see if it fixes the problem?

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Palm has acknowledged the many issues faced by 700P owners over and over again.

I take it you never owned a 700P or read any of the Palm release notes or the TreoCentral forums on the 700P.

Nice try though!

So....you're calling me a liar. Thanks. If you actually read my post, you would see that I referred to my 700p not crashing every day, but a few times a week. You could also read my sig, which points to the fact that I use a 700p. And for the record, I have 2. My wife's rarely crashes (once every few weeks). So yes, Palm as acknowledged the issues the 700p has. That doesn't include crashing 5 times a day for every single unit, like you accused them of.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

And people wonder why I say investment banks have no itegrity...

JP Morgan reverses it's comment about a Nano iPhone, saying Kevin "your career is over here" Chang did not have secondary verfification.

Now they say a 3G iPhone in early 2008...

Well that would be HSPDA...and I wonder which rev it will be.

And if Apple and AT&T will charge more for it.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
All WM Phones on Verizon interrupt data sessions to accept incoming calls either as a standard EVDO feature or through CPOP in 1xRTT areas.
And most Sprint WM devices as well...exceptions being Moto Q (though there is a hack) and the 6700 (for a few months, then fixed).

In fact on the WM Treo, it's just a flat-out option under settings: Interrupt data session for call or don't. :thumbsup:

EvDO Rev A is supposed to allow both voice & data at the same time, though it is unclear at this point if that will be optioned by Sprint/Verizon to do so (there are conflicting reports)

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Since its really bothering me, I popped a tmobile sim from work into a blackberry and did some side by side testing. In regards to missed calls going straight to voicemail, the exact same thing happens on my tmobile blackberry than whats going on on my iPhone. If data is being transmitted, the call goes right to vmail, with no indication of a missed call.

I guess I never really noticed it because I only went to mobile and wap sites on my blackberry.

I guess Edge really stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods