10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Not that guy obviously. Its a relatively common complaint. I've seen a post somewhere where the guy asks "How do I know when its fully charged?" On most devices a solid green LED is all you have to look out for.

Apple has actually managed to discard usability conventions from many years mainly in an effort to make their device look good. This cant be expected to suit people who prefer substance over style.

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
You mean the LEDs everyone downloads software to turn off?
Don't confuse Service LEDs (a waste) with Notification LEDs (a must).

People have gone to great lengths to even customize notification LEDs on the WM Treos (one color for vm, one for missed calls and one for email/sms). I'm just happy with a simple blinking green for all though...I'm simple that way.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Apple has actually managed to discard usability conventions from many years mainly in an effort to make their device look good.
The battery meter is on the whole screen when its charging actually, it's pretty tough to miss.

This cant be expected to suit people who prefer substance over style.
:rolleyes: try again.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The battery meter is on the whole screen when its charging actually, it's pretty tough to miss.

When the display is off obviously. Apple sure is not trying to cut down on key presses.

Full battery?
----------------------------
tjespo22

How do you know when its full?

brasscat

From what I can tell, there is no "fully charged" notice. Just when still in doc, display is sleeping, press the home button and you'll see a huge battery icon. Once that's all the way green, you're fully charged.

tjespo22

thats what i was guessing, thanks
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3860032#goto_threadtools

You know, most phones you can see from all the way across the room whether they are charged or not. Apple's UI is sure pretty, but not very efficient.

Surur

volwrath

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
Im still stuck on the fact that the worlds most expensive ipod has bluetooth but no A2DP. $600, I want A2Dp ... I also read that you cant edit calendar appointments on the iphone, but surely that is wrong

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Iphone users getting bored with the device already?

is the iPhone release simple by design??
Posted: Jul 6, 2007 5:59 AM Reply Email

Is iPhone Intentionally simple to start with?
I was thinking about this a lot lately. There are so many things, simple things, obvious things, missing from iPhone on its release that I cant help thinking its more of a strategy then lack of foresight or users needs.

Apple and AT&T both knew that this release was going to be huge, possibly adding 1/2 million new (or changing) users to AT&T's infrastructure and immediately putting a strain on its system, support technicians, help desk, etc. Apple knew it would be handling calls from confused users, those needing help, etc etc.

So perhaps they simplified things by putting out the most basic elements possible on the iPhone. If you think about it, if they had put MMS on the iPhone, there would be a huge increase in data transmission over the Edge network of everyone sending pictures from their new iPhones. That could be a huge strain on the network. Also the more the iPhone does, the more people will be calling with questions, problems, or complaints, flooding Apple and AT&T's call centers with tons more seemingly unneessicary calls. Leaving a lot of things out on the release probably prevented tons of calls to the helpdesks so the teams can focus on the release and any problems related to it. Maybe the idea was make it simple, and then once the storm calms down, add more things out little by little until the iPhone reaches its full capabilities.

I sincerely hope this is the case! While I love my iPhone and most likely wont return it (that thought is still on the table though) it is obviously severely lacking in many of the more basic and wanted things.
I just hope we dont have to wait months for an update. A week into owning the iPhone and I have found that I am getting bored with it's current abilities. Definitely better then my blackberry was, but the Nokia 7125 I had for a while, while it didnt have the cool gui the iPhone does, was quite a bit more useful, not to mention fun, in terms of its abilities.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1030608&tstart=45

Style over substance perhaps showing its dark side?

Surur

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
Charging led is a must.We went as far as adding solid orange to the charging mix in Treo alert.
We have,

Red led below 50%
Orange led above 50%
Green led at 100%

The updated charge led are vary valuable giving you an idea of were your charge is at when in desktop charger,TomTom enabled and so on at a glance without having to power on device or close out app from today screen to check charge.

Also,
The iPhone does not give you the option for back up battery.Not to have led charge is bad news for the power user.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Iphone users getting bored with the device already?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1030608&tstart=45

Style over substance perhaps showing its dark side?

Surur

This is just plain silly. Surur, you are using a post from one user on the apple discussion boards as evidence of "Style over substance perhaps showing its dark side".

Do I need to start posting quotes from some dissatisfied windows mobile users that might have a different opinion than you do?

One more thing, how anyone can claim a symbian device is more "fun" to use than the iPhone (or any device) is crazy.

Denny Crane

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
If some one somewhere post anything anti-iPHONE Surur will find it.

Surur, out of the 250,000 to 750,000 iPHONE owners what percentage do you think the negative postings you dig up represent the over all ownership?

I think he has a major "thing" for the iPhone. I figure that Steve Jobs stiffed him on a tip at some point in the past. It's getting a little ridiculous.

The Treo is a good device that meets many folks' needs.

The iPhone is a good device that is meeting appealing to a larger audience at this time.

Denny Crane

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
This is just plain silly. Surur, you are using a post from one user on the apple discussion boards as evidence of "Style over substance perhaps showing its dark side".

Do I need to start posting quotes from some dissatisfied windows mobile users that might have a different opinion than you do?

One more thing, how anyone can claim a symbian device is more "fun" to use than the iPhone (or any device) is crazy.

Do you think that there are any dissatisfied users in the 700P forum? I imagine that you could find some dissatisfied user in each section of this board. To pick out a few and put them forward as being representative of the group is silly on his part.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
llarsen

llarsen, why do ye fear the trvth?

Just because Surur posts actual user experiences, he's the spider of the net?

Or is it that fact someone is getting BORED with their iPhone (a return in the works).

Say what you want about the Treo, but I don't know anyone who got bored with it after a week. (or reasons, sure, but not bored).

Sure, a majority of iPhone users are happy...but there are other that are not, and I find that you tend to learn a lot about devices from the contrarians.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Apple has actually managed to discard usability conventions from many years mainly in an effort to make their device look good. This cant be expected to suit people who prefer substance over style.

Surur

This thread is funny, yet disapponting at the same time. Being a long time poster a TREOcentral, Surur, you really should know better. Let's see what Palm has learned over the years. Take, for instance, their NEWEST device:

Ok, from several of the threads here, it looks like there are a number of us that are suddenly having wierd things going on with our 755s after about a month of trouble-free stability.

Each case is a bit different, but they all seem to have a common thread, everything was fine one day then, without doing anything different or adding any apps or playing with settings, resets (that may not get logged) lockups and other wierd stuff starts happening

As each situation is slightly different, having one thread to discuss them all would be too cumbersom but we need to keep track of what is going on. DO feel free to post a brief note as to what the problem is here along with any link.

So...

In this thread, please post a link to your thread (or somebody elses) where we are seeing what I am calling the "One-Month Meltdown"

Of course it may not be just a month, it may depend on how many hours the thing has been used, when the thing was made -- who knows. What I am really looking for are situations where the 755 was working perfectly fine until it started going wacky for no clear reason. Thus, no links to threads where the user just added a third-party app that froze up the treo and things were fine after it was deleted (those are important threads, just not this one).

What we need to keep track of is the "My 755 was working great, no resets, no lockups, until yesterday when for no reason....."

Here is what I have so far:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=145720

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=145741

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=145748

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=145728
UPDATE ON THIS THREAD: On this one, several posters also report problems that seem to fit the pattern

New one:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=146092

FOUR links to FOUR different problems, with a little disclaimer about reports of other problems not mentioned to boot! LOL

I know you don't own a Treo, but this is the wrong place to ridicule a phone manufacturer

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
I agree with you Mikec

llarsen, why do ye fear the trvth?

Just because Surur posts actual user experiences, he's the spider of the net?

Or is it that fact someone is getting BORED with their iPhone (a return in the works).

Say what you want about the Treo, but I don't know anyone who got bored with it after a week. (or reasons, sure, but not bored).

Sure, a majority of iPhone users are happy...but there are other that are not, and I find that you tend to learn a lot about devices from the contrarians.

Thats one of the reasons I am lurking here still. Some great points to be made about the design and function of the iPHONE.

Some people will hate their new iPHONE and wonder what they got themselves into. But I firmly believe a vast majority of the people who bought the iPHONE will enjoy using it.

Surur on the other hand making blanket statements like, "iPHONE users getting bored with the device already" based off one or even 100 post is silly.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site

Surur, out of the 250,000 to 750,000 iPHONE owners what percentage do you think the negative postings you dig up represent the over all ownership?

I'm a believer the same can be said of the Treo. We have at least a hundred Treo's in our company. They range from the 600 to the 755. We have Palm OS and WM. We have not had a one want to give it up because they are having problems. In fact, when I did a poll of our users, they all stated they had no problems in their daily use. As I have stated numerous times, the majority of people on discussion boards are the one's that are experiencing problems, not all mind you, but the majority. You don't generally hear from those not having troubles. I believe this to be true of both the iPhone and Treo as well. If your not having problems, you don't generally look for "answers".

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
This is getting fun. So far we have over 20 pages of nothing but the following:

Surur: Here's some reasons why the iPhone sucks
iEvangelist: But I still really like using it!
Surur: Here's some more reasons why the iPhone sucks
iEvangelist: But it's so pretty!
Surur: More reasons why I won't use an iPhone
iEvengelist: Everything but iPhones are impossible to use because I'm too stupid to figure out how to use them
Surur: Some reasons why people shouldn't get an iPhone
iEvangelist: Treo's suck! Palm is stupid! Apple FTW!
Surur: A few more reasons why the iPhone isn't for me
iEvengelist: But the iPhone is meant for stupid people (mass market, not smartphone users)
Surur: Evidence the iPhone is being marketed to smartphone users
iEvangelist: But I still love my iPhone!

Rinse, repeat for 20 more pages. Look...if you've got something nice to say about the iPhone, for one, this probably isn't the place to say it. Start a new thread called "reasons why I love my iPhone." Secondly, read back through this thread again. It's probably already been stated (several times) and refuted several times by the other side. I'm tired of repeating myself, as I'm sure everyone else is. So if you really feel like you need to share how much the revolutionary UI gives you an orgasm each time you touch your iPhone, do it somewhere else.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I have to ask have you ever picked up and used the iPhone? I say this from the standpoint that every phone/PDA I've ever trashed is one that I have personal experience with.

I think until you actually use one you can't truly rate it one way or another.

From a user experience standpoint, I'd agree that the iPhone is 5 years ahead of the competition. The rest of the phones (smartphones) I've used are all kludges in how they act and respond compared to the iPhone.

If anyone likes something better fine or wants features not in the iPhone, great. But the user experience on it really is tons better than any Palm, WM5, or Symbian device I've ever touched. This is the only device I've ever used that one week after getting it I'm even happier than when I bought it.

Can you get your work email pushed to it?

Also does it get domain based email?

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Other than the UI, what's advanced about the iPhone. You say 5 years ahead, but in what way? It doesn't even do some basic phone things and PDA things like select/copy/paste text.
I used an iPhone for about 30 min. I thought it was a lot of fun. But the limitations quickly became irritating to me.
I'd happily buy one if it was better than what I have. I'm always willing to upgrade to something better. I'm never satisfied with what I have.
But I would have to sacrifice too many things to move to an iPhone, and I'd find myself wanting to go back.
The thing is way too expensive. I've paid $600 for unlocked PDAs before, but the iPhone just isn't worth that much (to me.)

But I think the iPhone has a lot of potential. I just hope Apple doesn't do what Apple is so good at, and that is be different just to be different. If they do what's best then there's not stopping that product and I'll get one some day.

I'm looking forward to what the iPhone 2 is going to be and what Apple does with software additions, upgrades, etc.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

I believe the vast majority of iPhone users will have at least one negative experience - paying full price for a locked device. They have Apple to thank for that.

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro