- 10-16-2007, 08:28 AM #3101
- 10-17-2007, 11:10 AM #3102
- 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM #3103
- 10-17-2007, 12:21 PM #3104
My guess is that an SDK will be to the public by March 2008 and then developers to rollout apps over that next month. But, man... for me that is a very long time to wait... Jul 07 - March 08 = 9 months of not being able to keep a digital to-do list and/or searchable memos or contacts. Ouch. Don't many feature phones do this already?
I hope that Steve is right on with the timeframe for the SDK. Is anyone else here, besides me, thinking that waiting for things to come in the Apple world is just not practical right now?
That Tilt is looking really good right now.
- 10-17-2007, 01:07 PM #3105
I expect they will hit the timeframe; afaik once Apple actually announces a date, they tend to hit it. I don't recall that either iPhone or Leopard was actually delayed from a date that Apple announced (at least not a date this specific). The iphone wait, in particular, seemed to be a situation where there tons of rumors about the phone, and everyone kept waiting for apple to announce its existence.
I'm waiting to see what all the whiners come up with once the 3p apps start rolling out and filling in all the holes everyone has been complaining about for so wrong. It might be amusing, if they are sufficiently creative about it.
- 10-17-2007, 04:00 PM #3106
leopard was supposed to come out in june alongside the iPhone, but apple had to divert a bunch of employees on the leopard team to get the iphone done by his promised deadline of june. I believe jobs announced this in january, but my memory could be off.
- 10-17-2007, 04:06 PM #3107
Now I could complain about having to wait until February but the truth is that I have been waiting on Palm for years. I am still waiting for a replacement for my 650GSM.
I have made $30/sh on my Apple stock since I bought my iPhone, $3/sh today. I got a great announcement letter for Leopard from Apple this am. Maybe I should buy an iMac.
- 10-17-2007, 04:07 PM #3108Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
- 10-17-2007, 04:10 PM #3109
- 10-17-2007, 04:17 PM #3110
- 10-17-2007, 04:23 PM #3111
I am pretty positive that Jobs had this planned all along. He's not lying that it takes time to get it right (although I don't necessarily agree with his definition of "right"), and if he had announced "it will be ready in february" back in july, he would have had two problems:
1) us suckers wouldn't have written very many webapps. Webapps serve 2 purposes for apple. First, it gets the safari browser platform much more support. Second, it sells at least a few phones; for some people being able to run at least certain types of apps through the browser is "good enough."
2) the people that are saying "i can't believe i have to wait 4 months" would be saying "i can't believe i have to wait 9 months."
Add in the fact that parts of the actual iPhone OS are identical (or will soon be identical) to leopard, and that the SDK/development environment may depend on leopard's xcode.
In the mean time, Apple has lost a little good will among the geekiest 10% of the population (not a good idea) but has had no difficulty (it seems) selling all the iPhones it can manufacture.
I expect that there are already multiple commercial developers working with Apple on software that will be announced around the same time as the SDK.
- 10-17-2007, 04:24 PM #3112
- 10-17-2007, 05:06 PM #3113
- 10-17-2007, 05:08 PM #3114
- 06-09-2008, 12:23 PM #3115iPhone Intermediate
- 476 Posts
I agree. One of the things that absolutely sucks about the old iPhone is the lack of an instant messaging application.
- 07-06-2008, 06:05 PM #3116
- 07-06-2008, 07:58 PM #3117iPhone Intermediate
- 316 Posts
- 07-06-2008, 08:56 PM #3118
- 07-07-2008, 02:40 PM #3119
- 07-07-2008, 04:11 PM #3120
- 12-16-2008, 03:39 PM #3121iPhone Nanite
- 1 Posts
- 12-16-2008, 04:11 PM #3122
- 12-16-2008, 06:09 PM #3123
- 03-03-2009, 01:44 PM #3124iPhone Nanite
- 1 Posts
As we are all well aware, the iPhone battery often goes dead very quickly. Have you guys ever tried ZAP's R03 external backup battery? I have been thinking about buying one but I don't know if it's any good. I've seen it for sale on Sears.com and Skymall.com. Any suggestions/recommendations?
- 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM #3125TiPb Fourm Staff
- 1,695 Posts