10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
That makes perfect sense for anybody that thinks 240x240 is acceptable. To me its not. Would you be alright if the next treo was 160x160? Who cares what it looks like, right?

Higher resolution screens are alot easier on my old eyes. Everything just looks better and clearer. It also makes using the phone alot more pleasant experience. Whats wrong with wanting that?

Almost every preview I have seen of the kaiser say the same thing. Awesome features, BUT where is the high res. screen. I guess I'm not the only one.

240x240 is one of the major reasons why I've never been able to bring myself to use a WM Treo. Granted I have to deal with frankengarnet instead...but at least I have lots of screen real estate.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I am not buying a Kaiser due to the screen rez, but I would not buy a more poorly specified device that only had a better screen.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Agreed, way to big. Interesting outer screen though. Makes you wonder why the Universal doesn't have an outer screen.
That was almost its saving grace for me. Outer screen gives you the full S60 UI at 240x320. Open it up for the QWERTY and access to the 800x352 internal screen. Nice... but just too big :( (still half an iPhone lighter than the Universal though :))

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Are you telling me potential kaiser owners wouldn't pay and extra $40 for a higher resolution screen? I think you might be crazy.

Say HTC sells 2 million Kaisers in total. It probably costs them about $250 to make. Adding in a VGA screen would add 16% to the price.

Now if they pass that cost on to the customer, the device may end up costing $100 more, which may move it from a $600 to a $700 device (or $300 to $400 subsidized) which may cost them 20-30% sales from most people, who can not really appreciate such a high rez 2.8 inch screen.

I am one of the people turned of by the low res screen in such a high-end device, but I can understand the reasoning. At least HTC will cater to me with the HTC Omni. The Eten X800 also have a 2.8 inch VGA screen, so the competition may prompt HTC to step up to the plate.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
At that size, it should run windows xp.

Its not that big. It is a two year old device, you know. I think you are talking about the HTC Shift, which runs Windows Vista and WM6.

htc-shift.jpg

7-inch widescreen display
30-gigabyte hard drive
QWERTY keyboard
Microsoft Vista Business OS
Windows Media Player 11
Tri-Band UMTS/HSDPA
Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
WiFi and Bluetooth 2.0

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Say HTC sells 2 million Kaisers in total. It probably costs them about $250 to make. Adding in a VGA screen would add 16% to the price.

Now if they pass that cost on to the customer, the device may end up costing $100 more, which may move it from a $600 to a $700 device (or $300 to $400 subsidized) which may cost them 20-30% sales from most people, who can not really appreciate such a high rez 2.8 inch screen.

I am one of the people turned of by the low res screen in such a high-end device, but I can understand the reasoning. At least HTC will cater to me with the HTC Omni. The Eten X800 also have a 2.8 inch VGA screen, so the competition may prompt HTC to step up to the plate.

Surur

The Eten looks interesting, except thats its $900 and has a really terrible looking dpad/joystick. Also, without a usable on screen keyboard how are you suppose to type?

How do you know how much extra a high-res. screen will cost? I doubt your numbers. I will try to find the link, but somebody broke down an iPhone and found it only cost about $300 (maybe less), to build.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Its not that big. It is a two year old device, you know. I think you are talking about the HTC Shift, which runs Windows Vista and WM6.

Surur

I'm sorry Surur, but the Universal is way to big to use as a cellphone. When somebody calls you, you actually have to open that thing up to see who is calling. I dont get how anybody could use this as their phone.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The Eten looks interesting, except thats its $900 and has a really terrible looking dpad/joystick. Also, without a usable on screen keyboard how are you suppose to type?

See, the Eten's high end features, (including the supper high dpi screen) has moved it out of your price range. Thats the effect that HTC has been trying to avoid.

How do you know how much extra a high-res. screen will cost? I doubt your numbers. I will try to find the link, but somebody broke down an iPhone and found it only cost about $300 (maybe less), to build.

pdaparts sells the iPhone screen for $139. It sells refurbished VGA screens for the Dell X50v for $119, and refurbished QVGA Dell screens for $89. Of note however is that Dell is notorious for using cheaper screens. The Hp IPAQ 4700 had a much higher quality screen, and probably costs significantly more.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorry Surur, but the Universal is way to big to use as a cellphone. When somebody calls you, you actually have to open that thing up to see who is calling. I dont get how anybody could use this as their phone.

It was my only phone for at least 15 months. I understand some-one invented bluetooth, and that some bluetooth headsets have displays. Great inventions, those.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
It was my only phone for at least 15 months. I understand some-one invented bluetooth, and that some bluetooth headsets have displays. Great inventions, those.

Surur

First of all, I am not a fan of bluetooth.

Second of all, are you telling me, when your phone rings, you take out your bluetooth headset, look at the number on the id, put it back into your ear, and then answer the call? Is this you system? That stinks. no thanks.

Strange that my wifes palm tx didn't cost $900. My old zodiac didn't cost $900, my iPhone didn't cost $900. They all have high-res. screens.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
First of all, I am not a fan of bluetooth.

Second of all, are you telling me, when your phone rings, you take out your bluetooth headset, look at the number on the id, put it back into your ear, and then answer the call? Is this you system? That stinks. no thanks.

VS The phone rings, you take out your iPhone, look at the screen, answer the call, and then put it to your ear. I dont really see the difference. Is it the difference between the display resolutions?

Strange that my wifes palm tx didn't cost $900. My old zodiac didn't cost $900, my iPhone didn't cost $900. They all have high-res. screens.

But the Palm Z2 only cost $100, vs $400 for a T5 for example. Some of that is the screen.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
VS The phone rings, you take out your iPhone, look at the screen, answer the call, and then put it to your ear. I dont really see the difference. Is it the difference between the display resolutions?

I wonder which system most people in the world use? If your way was so much better, than wouldn't most people be doing that. I hate bluetooth headsets. They are uncomfortable, and do not sound as good as using the regular earpiece. I could never use a device that I needed to rely on a bluetooth headset to identify contacts on incoming calls. How small are those little screens anyway?

But the Palm Z2 only cost $100, vs $400 for a T5 for example. Some of that is the screen.

$400 vs $900 is still a large difference.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
You must not live in an area where you can get pulled over for using a cell phone. BT headsets are a necessity if you drive in Chicago.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
You must not live in an area where you can get pulled over for using a cell phone. BT headsets are a necessity if you drive in Chicago.

I'm going to quote Ellen Degeneres here. "Anything that requires two hands to do, your brain should be in on it too".

I don't make calls when I drive.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I wonder which system most people in the world use? If your way was so much better, than wouldn't most people be doing that. I hate bluetooth headsets. They are uncomfortable, and do not sound as good as using the regular earpiece. I could never use a device that I needed to rely on a bluetooth headset to identify contacts on incoming calls. How small are those little screens anyway?

Bluetooth headsets are not unpopular, you know. In fact, its the only bluetooth device the iPhone can use.

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro