Colligan anticipates loss of revenue

wireless-doc

Mar 2, 2003
www.wireless-doc.com
According to Reuters:
Rival Palm Inc. said it could post a small loss and lower revenue this quarter due to slow sales and fears that the iPhone could hurt demand for its Treo smartphones.

"It's likely that as people try (the iPhone) out, there may be some stall in our sell-through," Palm Chief Executive Ed Colligan told Reuters on Thursday.​
Anybody camping out waiting to buy a Foleo?

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
According to Reuters:
Rival Palm Inc. said it could post a small loss and lower revenue this quarter due to slow sales and fears that the iPhone could hurt demand for its Treo smartphones.

"It's likely that as people try (the iPhone) out, there may be some stall in our sell-through," Palm Chief Executive Ed Colligan told Reuters on Thursday.​
Anybody camping out waiting to buy a Foleo?

Yep. Even Colligan anticipates loss of treo demand due to the iphone. There ya go, folks.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
It might not have been this way had Palm put out something more mainstream than the 680, which WAS supposed to be their mainstream Treo, but ended up being a 650 update mainly. They even lost money to RIM. Those mainstream BBs added up to big RIM profits! Palm cannot break out of it's long time mold.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I would have thought the Treo, by virtue of its design, would have divested itself of the fashion-conscious buyers attracted by the Iphone. I think they will be fine.

Surur

chodaboy#IM

Aug 31, 2004
Visit site
Ed had better wake up and deal with the loss of revenue caused by lack of support and poor quality control for existing Palm products (700p, 755, etc.) Word of mouth and bad press can cost quite a bit.

DOES NOBODY AT PALM USE THEIR PHONES? HOW CAN SUCH GLARING PROBLEMS AS THE EXTRANEOUS DTMF TONE GET THROUGH QA AND BETA TO THE FINAL RELEASE PRODUCT???!

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
"It's likely that as people try (the iPhone) out, there may be some stall in our sell-through," Palm Chief Executive Ed Colligan told Reuters on Thursday.

So much (so far) for the notion that iPhone would drive the whole smartphone market. It seems that RIM caught most of it, or so they'd have you believe at least:

"I think [Apple] did us a great favor because they drove attention to the converged appliance base. We think the attention given to [the iPhone] and its impact on the dynamic has been overwhelmingly positive for us," said Jim Balsillie, co-CEO at RIM, in a conference call on Thursday.​

http://www.computerworld.com/action...xonomyId=15&articleId=9025921&intsrc=hm_topic

With 70%+ increases in sales and profit he may have a point.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Or maybe the pent up demand for push email, slowed by the litigation that RIM worked out, drove their sales? Remember all the talk of Palm racing into the breach left by the RIM litigation just fizzling away?

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Who cares what Ed says? I've met and spoken with him, and he is clueless. He should be put in a time capsule and sent back to 1990s and sell Compaq servers - he probably do that well.

He has been running Palm into the ground.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Who cares what Ed says? I've met and spoken with him, and he is clueless. He should be put in a time capsule and sent back to 1990s and sell Compaq servers - he probably do that well.

He has been running Palm into the ground.

so it seems what Palm needs (needed long ago) is a new CEO...

wireless-doc

Mar 2, 2003
www.wireless-doc.com
Now, I'm hearing the EDGE uses are reporting a boost in their download rates to 200 kbps. And, there's a supposed announcement for Monday that Europe will be getting a 3G iPhone towards the end of the year.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Now, I'm hearing the EDGE uses are reporting a boost in their download rates to 200 kbps. And, there's a supposed announcement for Monday that Europe will be getting a 3G iPhone towards the end of the year.

Great. I'll be paying eXpansys an extra $200 over US retail for a 3G iPhone.

NOT!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Those who keep complaining about what Palm has failed in should take over, if they have the CEO qualifications of course. Maybe then we can get something truly exciting from Palm for a change in about 3 yrs.! The Foleo was the big announcement this quarter???? It bombed. They're barely talking about it on the news, if at all! Palm failed to grab the right amount of attention again, due to another blah product introduction.

syphex#IM

Jun 11, 2007
www.myspace.com
Yep. Even Colligan anticipates loss of treo demand due to the iphone. There ya go, folks.

Every phone carrier is having that fear regardless if they are a smartphone developer.

I still think apple is going to lose out in the end though... I think people will be over all disapointed in this version of the iphone.