Unlocked SIM in Europe?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I understand the Euro boys aren't too keen on Apple's demands, but I honestly do not see an unlocked version at all.

If it is, it automatically looses at least Visual VM and who knows what else (I would imagine Apple's servers play a larger roll in it's functionality?).

The US version is confirmed to have a carrier-locked SIM card (see Pogue), so I don't see that model changing.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
The rumours now say an announcement on Monday...even if they do that I doubt it'll be available over there until 2008 by which time they will release v2.0 here (badaboom - kaching!) leaving v1.0 owners scrambling to sell on eBay (kaching baddaboom badabing!)

Engadget

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
The rumours now say an announcement on Monday...even if they do that I doubt it'll be available over there until 2008 by which time they will release v2.0 here (badaboom - kaching!) leaving v1.0 owners scrambling to sell on eBay (kaching baddaboom badabing!)

Engadget
The story you link (actually on Gizmodo) is to a story headlined:

3G iPhone Monday UK Announcement is Bollocks

Would you like an explanation of the phrase "is bollocks"? :)

Btw, Jobs said Q4 this year for Europe.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
The story you link (actually on Gizmodo) is to a story headlined:

3G iPhone Monday UK Announcement is Bollocks

Would you like an explanation of the phrase "is bollocks"? :)

Btw, Jobs said Q4 this year for Europe.

of course i know what bollocks means lol! You don't have to be british to know that one :D But that's not the point - GIZMODO believe it's bollocks..but nobody REALLY knows hence why it's a RUMOUR!

But given the market it is quite plausible...it's only the timeline that's quetionable (i.e. maybe they'll make such an announcement in Dec and release the 3G iPhone in June next year by which time they'll release a 3G version here).

Naturally I personally doubt they'll announce such a move before xmas by which time they'll have sold moer than enough units in the US and won't get a backlash.

But Jobs is deflecting when he says 3G was a problem wrt size and battery drain (more battery usage but less time for the usage evens out I figure)...he wants his baby to go worldwide and break into the market big time

.Apple has never cared about upgrades requiring past customers to shell out more money (see iPod timing of new generations) and they are always brigning out hardware upgrades, so i don't see why iPhone v2 can't come out in the next 6 - 12 months.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Well, in the keynote Jobs said June in the US and Q4 2007 for Europe. They hit the June deadline (just) so perhaps they'll hit the Europe one too. Doubtful, imo, that it will be October 1 though :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2