The iphone Impact on Palm....

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hmm I dont know that risk taking is what is needed, but rather a fully functional, and quick GUI interface. One must tweak (ok, overhaul) the 700WX (which is the best smartphone IMO) for maximum functionality and flexibility. And for the average Joe, the interface simply is too tough. The smartphones do a little better in that regard. So when Apple comes out with a flashy gui thats easy to operate and ties the apple mystique to it, it does shake the market up, which as you correctly point out is a good thing.
No argument there.

WM5/6 is a bit rough. In fact, it reminds me a lot of Linux: very powerful, but opaque to use sometimes.

I think things like SPB Mobile Shell really improve the UI of WM and I really hope companies are picking up on that design, so it's native not an addon.

FWIW, "Photon" (<-- read for preview) is a complete overhaul of WM:
- New, Flexible Shell
- Modular Containers
- ?Yamazaki? CE kernel
- Q1/Q2 ?08 Marketing Launch

So things could get interesting, though it's not like MS has let us down before, lol.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Am I the only one that has a problem with "no games".

I agree that it's pretty weird for the Fun phone of the Year...but iPods don't have games do they (well like two ro three)...I guess they're hoping ppl will make Ajax 2.0 web games (w/o flash and java of course). I actually saw one puzzle game advertised somewhere on the web....

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
It is time for Palm to give the middle finger to the carrier and build a device for the masses..so what if verizon or AT&T doesn't like it? Make them ALL unlocked and if the GUI is halfway to the apple with WITH HARDKEYS..ppl will come and from all over the world too once it's GSM! But then I've always been a dreamer!

RICHINMJ

May 28, 2004
Visit site
There is a rumor floating that Nintendo may release games at $29 for the iPhone, via iTunes.

Not solid info though, but certainly perks interest. Engadget had the story.

Then I will definitely get the second generation where I will be able to toss the phone around like my Wii controllers and keep track of the action on that flipping screen.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
It is time for Palm to give the middle finger to the carrier and build a device for the masses..so what if verizon or AT&T doesn't like it? Make them ALL unlocked and if the GUI is halfway to the apple with WITH HARDKEYS..ppl will come and from all over the world too once it's GSM! But then I've always been a dreamer!
Yeah, that'd be nice too (at least for GSM, CDMA is very, very locked :thumbsdn:, yet we get great data...)

I think Palm, which mind you only has about 1k employees, could not risk it. They need carrier financing.

I tell you, once these companies just become open ISPs, it'll get better. Sprint's WiMax (assuming it actually gets completed) has promised to be completey open to any device that has a Wimax chip (which are cheap and can piggy back on Wifi chips). Think of it as a regional hot-spot. That's a start.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Did you look at the entire financial report including
NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Palm Inc. Thursday posted lower quarterly profit and revenue, even as it reported record sales of its Treo smartphones.
It does seem odd, than again as popular as the Q is (Verizon, Sprint, AMP'd) and the RAZR (etc.), Motorola is also loosing money.

It's an odd business, that's for sure.

kidtreo

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
Fo sho...

If Palm were smart, they would have started advertising this week showing a 800w with 320x240 widescreen similiar to Q(or 320x320 sq as now), with sexy curves and thin, tout the broadband similiar to sprint cingular commercials, show pocket player (for media) built in, built in GPS, slingbox, point out what it can do vs the iphone, then end the ad with iWhat? Instead they are conceding the launch of the iphone to apple

Point out the iTunes compatible add on software etc etc...even if it was total vaporware, if the design was hawt and months out, I'd believe...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner