iPhone ringtones will cost you

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Speaking of call filtering, is there something to avoid unwanted callers for the iPhone? If not, it's a 3rd party app requirement. As with most phones.

they "borrowed" the treo idea of the "do not receive/ ignore incoming call' ...innovation.
I guess I just hate propaganda and Jobs uses too much to sell his stuff (real internet my @$$) - hat eit when MSF does it hate it when APPLE does it. Maybe I just don't like big business? :confused:

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Does that filter out specific numbers? You usually need 3rd party software for specific numbers and SMS senders. I'm not sure I ever used the Treo's filter.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
iSuckers

Paying twice for a ringtone?

How many times do you need to buy music?

Oh, that's right...as many times as Apple requires you to.

iSuckers.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Use Audacity to make your OWN MP3 ringtones! However, I think they say the iPhone won't let you use your own ringtones. So much for that if true. You won't even have control over the phone you paid $600 for!! Sony Ericsson has no such restrictions on any of it's $600 phones, plus expandable storage! Same with Nokia.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
More fleecing of the iSheep.

My HTC phone comes with a built-in on device mp3 trimmer to make ring tones.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Does that filter out specific numbers? You usually need 3rd party software for specific numbers and SMS senders. I'm not sure I ever used the Treo's filter.
There's kind of a filter on the WM Treos.

You can set ringers for contacts, known callers, one for roaming and one for unknown.

For unknown (or any ringer) there is actually a "blank" ringer included, so I choose that for "unknown" callers and my device just won't ring or do anything --> voicemail. Simple, but nice touch that other WM devices do not have.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
More fleecing of the iSheep.

My HTC phone comes with a built-in on device mp3 trimmer to make ring tones.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Surur
I haven't read this thread yet but I see surur is of course having a heyday with it.

This doesn't make sense. There is something more that we are not seeing here.

I have to say (as the fanboy you know I am) that I don't think Apple would do this. Maybe there is some sort of online thing or AT&T service that makes or converts something into a ringtone; but I do not believe Apple will be "forcing" us to pay for a 30 second song as a ringtone from a song already purchased.

I have no information on this, it just doesn't feel right as TreoCentral forum members are casting it.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Ring tones are big business and Apple is greedy, therefore why would they not do it? They are charging you $600 for the phone after all, and refused to have it subsidized (for your own good of course).

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Maybe it was ATT who demanded they get money for ringtones. They are greedy too. But this is adding up to be too expensive compared to other devices, even PDA phones. Even they allow independent MP3 ringtones.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
If the ringtones are sold via the itunes store AT&T may not even see a cent of ringtone revenue.

Surur

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Maybe it was ATT who demanded they get money for ringtones. They are greedy too. But this is adding up to be too expensive compared to other devices, even PDA phones. Even they allow independent MP3 ringtones.

If the ringtones are sold via the itunes store AT&T may not even see a cent of ringtone revenue.

Surur

What I'm thinking too...makes no sense. Apple would have no reason or need to give AT&T a cut as iTunes is independently theirs - EVERYTHING that is data goes through iTunes. I'm not sure which one is the Devil now!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
But ATT sells ringtones itself through Media Net. They really allowed themselves to be cut out entirely from ringtone profits? You all sure about that? But then I didn't see a Media Net hotkey like there usually is on ATT phones, so maybe you're right.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
but I do not believe Apple will be "forcing" us to pay for a 30 second song as a ringtone from a song already purchased.
"30 seconds".... that's the answer right there.

You can legally give away 30 seconds of a song as a sample. The iTunes Store gives out millions of samples everyday.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
"30 seconds".... that's the answer right there.

You can legally give away 30 seconds of a song as a sample. The iTunes Store gives out millions of samples everyday.

Again, you are incorrect and make false statements (and know nothing of the law.)

You cannot legally give away any copyrighted music (without proper agreements)

There is no 30 second rule and there is no court defintion of fair use; people have sued over the use of 6 seconds of music.

I suggest you read and get educated.

www.lacba.org/Files/LAL/Vol28No6/2179.pdf

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I haven't read this thread yet but I see surur is of course having a heyday with it.

This doesn't make sense. There is something more that we are not seeing here.

I have to say (as the fanboy you know I am) that I don't think Apple would do this. Maybe there is some sort of online thing or AT&T service that makes or converts something into a ringtone; but I do not believe Apple will be "forcing" us to pay for a 30 second song as a ringtone from a song already purchased.

I have no information on this, it just doesn't feel right as TreoCentral forum members are casting it.

If seems odd to me, but Apple is structured to make people pay twice for songs and albums in iTunes, (the sneaky tricks of "complete my album").

I would hope this is not the case, but you never know.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
But ATT sells ringtones itself through Media Net. They really allowed themselves to be cut out entirely from ringtone profits? You all sure about that? But then I didn't see a Media Net hotkey like there usually is on ATT phones, so maybe you're right.

Sure AT&T will cut themselves out of ringtones. They're not subsidizing the iPhone; they've got very little money invested in iPhone customers. AT&T has already profited on the customer as soon as they submit their activation form and give AT&T $36.

With other types of phones, AT&T has to work through a $150 or $200 phone subsidy.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Again, you are incorrect and make false statements (and know nothing of the law.)

You cannot legally give away any copyrighted music (without proper agreements)

There is no 30 second rule and there is no court defintion of fair use; people have sued over the use of 6 seconds of music.

I suggest you read and get educated.

www.lacba.org/Files/LAL/Vol28No6/2179.pdf
Crap! We've been using 30 second samples in podcasts for the last couple of years. I hope they don't fine me for every show.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro