One iPhone per person at AT&T stores (that means you Surur)

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9736087-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

If you're planning to stand in line for an iPhone at an AT&T store, or if you're already there, understand that you can only buy one of those babies this weekend.

AT&T will only be selling one iPhone per person this weekend at this downtown San Francisco store, according to AppleInsider.

AppleInsider received an e-mail from AT&T informing potential customers that it's one-and-done for iPhone purchases starting this Friday at 6 p.m., at least at the onset. Apple is also expected to limit purchases, but the company hasn't said how many devices you'll be allowed to take home. Neither company's Web site appears to have that info at the moment.

That could be bad news for anybody planning to flip an iPhone on eBay or Craigslist this weekend for a profit--that is, assuming you actually wanted one for yourself. At either $499 or $599, that's quite the upfront investment, but several folks tried to do the same thing with PlayStation 3s last winter. Since the iPhone isn't actually activated until you take it home and hook it up to the Internet, it should be easy to sell a deactivated iPhone, assuming there's no purchase contract that would preclude you from doing that.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
And I so wanted to flip a few onto Ebay. I know there are plenty of iMorons with more money than sense.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Are they putting out any in-store testers for the public? ATT has a bad habit of waiting to put out testers but expecting people just to buy without looking. Hopefully Apple will have some though.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
How many would like to test the touchscreen before buying it though? Or are people just going to sign over 2 yrs. to ATT without looking?

Another question: At the Apple store, are you buying one then going to ATT to activate it or are they going to open ATT kiosks in Apple? They already supposedly said don't bother to try using it without "activation".

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The staff will walk around with tester units (in the line I guess) and activation will take place at home.

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
yeah, activation is done at home via iTunes. You can take your time and choose your plan, no need for a rep to step in.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
What I mean is it appears you can't use the phone at all without activating an iPhone plan. So if you buy the phone at Apple, you have to go to ATT to activate it, right?

You can't just swap out your SIM, another thread said that ATT faqs said that. Unless "activate" only means iTunes. But I thought it meant iPhone plan also. Which really sucks for those who already have unlimited data with another phone. Now you'd have to redo your whole contract just to use the iPhone.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Nothing, not even the ipod functionality, will work without activation. There is a rumour that the device will need an onsite firmware upgrade before its allowed to leave the store however.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
PITA just to use the iPhone. Shame on Apple and ATT for all the hoops!

I'll pay $600 for those new Sony Ericssons with US 3G chips and NO restrictions on activation, music(except maybe size of MP3), expandable memory, etc.! In fact, I think they're a bit less than $600.

Wow! One will have worldwide 3G chips and HSDPA!! Way to go Sony!!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
And 4GB memory stick M2s for us SE fans! :D

I think most phones can take up to 2 or 4GB microSD at this time, right? 8GB would be sweet though!

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Anotherr question - and yes it may not be a problem in the US- but I hope they don't try and tie this phone to iTunes outside the US. Where I live for example ppl will do wonders to get the latest gadget (sell themselves etc) but it doesn't mean they HAVE PCs...but then again what am I saying - this phone is obviously for ppl who can afford expensive things (forget my point)!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2