Is the iPhone an unfinished product?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The iPhone doesn't lack basic features, just the ones you deem important. For everyone else they seem fine with it.

You dont consider video recording from the camera and MMS basic? The video recording especially is a very very standard feature. I'm sure many people wont miss it, but I believe the majority will.

Surur

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
P.S. i feel t's unfinished..they forgot the other buttons lol (but then that might actually be by design)!

Btw I read an article (gizmodo or engadget) that said Apple Engineers actually wanted about 2 or 3 more buttons..but Jobs wasn't budging!

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Yeah, of course it's unfinished and I'm sure a lot of those "holes" in operability will be filled (MMS, IM, Flash, etc.) with updates eventually.

In fairness, WM5 AKU 1.x was also pretty unfinsihed with no Push email, lots of bugs and even more sluggish than now. We all got an IOU from MS for AKU 2.x which luckily just about everyone got 4 months after release.

The difference in all of this is of course Apple's stance: they proclaimed they "reinvented the phone", put down all other smartphones and made grandiose claims about the "full internet in your pocket" yadda yadda.

So with all the free hype and publicity they received, when the device lacks some features like search your contacts and voice dial, the backlash is twice as strong. That's just the game, so I really don't feel bad for the people defending Apple. (Not like the majority won't be happy anyways)

Had MS, Moto, HTC, or Palm made such claims the response would be the same if the failed to account for some of the basics.

rsnadel

Feb 9, 2007
Visit site
You dont consider video recording from the camera and MMS basic? The video recording especially is a very very standard feature. I'm sure many people wont miss it, but I believe the majority will.

Surur

If your premise is that it is being rushed to release before promised features are bug-free, then video recording capability is irrelevant to your argument.

At some point, manufacturing takes over from design based on marketing decisions. The marketing decision is determined based on factors substantially beyond the consumer-based kinds of things that keep showing up on this board...with eyes more focused on Wall Street and the investment community than on Treocentral.com.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm basically saying basic features which they intended to include were cut to meet the deadline, but will be added later.

If we were to use the old car analogy, I'm not saying the breaks is faulty and has not been tested, but that they shipped the car without the back seat because the upholsterer was not finished with it yet, but will have people come in in a months time to finish their car.

Surur

rsnadel

Feb 9, 2007
Visit site
From what I've read and heard, that thinking appears to be more appropriately directed to AppleTV (which was updated less than a month after release) than the iPhone.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I'm basically saying basic features which they intended to include were cut to meet the deadline, but will be added later.
Apple had completely established expectations. When the iPhone is released, the iPhone will deliver above and beyond these expectations.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
As long as you dont expect to take a video of your toddler going down the slide. And you better not be expecting to send this clip via MMS to granny.

Surur

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
These features are found in most $0 phones, like MMS and Video recording, and it lacks obvious features like A2DP found in most modern smartphones.
I can make a decent sized list of things I don't like about the iPhone or are missing that I think shouldn't be (and I'll probably do so later), but I think you're nitpicking with the examples you've provided...

MMS: This is a phone capable of rich email, presumably with the ability to attach photos to emails. As a long-time Treo user, I've never wished to use MMS, but have sometimes done so simply because Palm did a poor job of tying the camera app to email (or maybe it's because I'm using Snappermail because I hated Versamail). Bottom line: MMS is old-school and usually costs you extra, so if the integration of the camera app and the email app is good, this is the better approach, IMO.

Video recording: It's surprising if it's missing, but I imagine they'll add it later. But here's the important thing: My Treo 700p takes awful video clips and most of the other smartphones are in the same boat. If they're going to do it poorly, I won't miss it. It's sad in this day and age that we have to put up with such poor quality cameras on such expensive phones. That said, I've seen some sample photos from the iPhone and they look better than most cameraphones I've seen. I'll take a decent camera with no video capability over a piss-poor camera with piss-poor video recording capability. YMMV.

A2DP: Today this is a novelty feature, IMO. There aren't very many AD2P headphones out on the market and the ones that are there are pricey. And (correct me if I'm wrong), but can A2DP provide quality as good as wired headphones? It's one thing to put up with poorer quality for a Bluetooth headset you're using for a phone conversation, but for music listening you're going to want quality audio. Personally, I'd rather have a phone with a 3.5" jack and no A2DP than one with a 2.5" jack (or one that requires a USB-to-3.5" adaptor) that has A2DP. A2DP may turn out to be a critical feature at some point, but with the limited number of A2DP headphones, that day isn't today. That said, I've read that the iPhone's 3.5" jack is recessed and may require an adaptor for some headphones which would somewhat negate its value over a phone with just a 2.5" jack or USB port.

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site

Surur

No, I don't. How often do you need video recording? What's the true quality of this other than a gizdet?

The Treo 700wx on Sprint doesn't do MMS, so this product was released too early?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I chose those features because they did not look like design decisions to me, but actual omissions, which the consumer would be expecting. Especially video recording, no matter how crappy, is an often used feature, which would quickly be missed.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
No, I don't. How often do you need video recording? What's the true quality of this other than a gizdet?
You must not have children then. Being able to record the moment spontaneously and show to your SO is a very basic activity these days, and a feature I use regularly..

The Treo 700wx on Sprint doesn't do MMS, so this product was released too early?

Isn't that a Sprint PDA/Phone thing?

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Forget about MMS/Video for a second...

- No select, copy, paste?
- No search contacts?

Those seem like two pretty big holes (which, granted can be fixed easily enough). If you have a lot of contacts that sure seems to be an annoyance. WM smartphones don't have cut/copy/paste either but their excuse was no touch screen, not sure why the iPhone left that out. Seems quite simple.

As far as A2DP, you just know Apple would never want you to use anyone else's headset, so they'd just sell you theirs for $200 (regular BT is $120), so having not many headsets is not an excuse. Obscurity is not either since if anyone, Apple could make that mainstream just like Push email. I think it was probably a quailty issue.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

Surur
Yeah, the Verizon version has it, for some reason Sprint omits it from their devices (probably because they have a lousy MMS errr..."PictureMail" system). In fact, we just use the Verizon .cab to do MMS on all Sprint PPC devices. No biggy though hardly convienent for the newbie.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
. If anyone is release half baked crap it's Palm - what do we pay for a new color, couple more Mbs and the removal of an antenna? Whose are the real suckers here?

Dunc

ding ding ding ding ding...we have a winner folks!

no, they did not release it early....if they did, who cares? let the market dictate what it is that they are missing. if you don't like it, don't buy it. if they feel a need to improve it they will. no biggie

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
You must not have children then. Being able to record the moment spontaneously and show to your SO is a very basic activity these days, and a feature I use regularly..

Surur

Like I said-- "a feature I use" -- for you it's important, but for the rest they can make their own decision. And in two days the public will speak with their wallet one way or another.

As for the Sprint PDA Treo 700wx MMS, you've blasted ATT and Edge for its problems because it is slow so this would be exactly the same according to your rules. Therefore the Treo 700wx is an unfinished product which shouldn't have been released. (and this was an upgrade the problematic 700w).

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Oh yeah. I got 4 kids. When I want to capture them doing something I take a picture knowing that the quality is decent and I can keep it over time rather than a small unviewable video. When I go to any major or minor event and need video I take a real video camera so the captured event can be seen.