5 reasons not to get iPhone

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I still think a non-swappable SIM is a bad idea. It would be different if I could switch devices online like you can on Verizon without calling them, but you can't do that on AT&T. Swapping your account/line to another SIM is not a terribly trivial process like it is with CDMA phones.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
and by most people I mean the silent majority not the phone aficionado here, only switch out a SIM when the store clerk does it for them when they might buy a new phone.

Not saying switching chips isn't a nice feature but I think a majority of people will not care if they can switch SIMs in the iPHONE.

My opinion as I have no data to back it up but as with most things discussed here we are usually outside the mainstream.

So you think people are going to carry their expensive iPhones everywhere? In some places, it really would be best to switch SIMs, unless you'll be staying in clean, safe urban areas most of the time. But that's not always the case for some.

How about these examples:

1. This isn't good work phone for blue collar workers(and yes some CAN afford an iPhone, some make decent money), since they are doing physical stuff a lot. But if they can switch SIMs, they can use the iPhone on their off hours if they want. You can see why blue collar workers use clunky Moto Nextels most of the time on the job, you drop those and they're still good to go! Drop an iPhone, start crying!

2. And even if you're a white collar worker, suppose you're required to use a PDA on the job but still want to use the iPhone after hours? No SIM switching sucks.

3. I suspect some parents will spoil their kids and send them to school with an iPhone, but that is such a BAD idea. If you do get your kid an iPhone, you really should have them switch to a cheaper phone for school to prevent theft and they can use the iPhone after school. I know it's not cool, but iPods get stolen at school a lot so what's going to happen when iPhones show up?

4. What if you do end up having to go to less than comfortable areas, of whatever type? You need a phone but the iPhone could get easily damaged, stolen, confiscated or whatever. Time to switch SIMs. Unable to do so, then you'll have to leave the iPhone home or risk losing it.

Just some of the reasons people would NEED to switch SIMs.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I have a question.

Has it been confirmed what will happen if you don't choose a plan through iTunes? Does the activation get rejected entirely?

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
So you think people are going to carry their expensive iPhones everywhere? In some places, it really would be best to switch SIMs, unless you'll be staying in clean, safe urban areas most of the time. But that's not always the case for some.

1. This isn't good work phone for blue collar workers(and yes some CAN afford an iPhone, some make decent money), since they are doing physical stuff a lot. But if they can switch SIMs, they can use the iPhone on their off hours if they want. You can see why blue collar workers use clunky Moto Nextels most of the time on the job, you drop those and they're still good to go! Drop an iPhone, start crying!

2. And even if you're a white collar worker, suppose you're required to use a PDA on the job but still want to use the iPhone after hours? No SIM switching sucks.

3. I suspect some parents will spoil their kids and send them to school with an iPhone, but that is such a BAD idea. If you do get your kid an iPhone, you really should have them switch to a cheaper phone for school to prevent theft and they can use the iPhone after school. I know it's not cool, but iPods get stolen at school a lot so what's going to happen when iPhones show up?

4. What if you do end up having to go to less than comfortable areas, of whatever type? You need a phone but the iPhone could get easily damaged, stolen, confiscated or whatever. Time to switch SIMs. Unable to do so, then you'll have to leave the iPhone home or risk losing it.

Apologies to those who read this the first two times I posted it yesterday. This is what David Pogue has to say about switching SIMS:

Can I use a SIM card from another phone? The iPhone comes with an installed SIM card, the tiny circuit board that stores your account information and phone number. Apple says that you should be able to replace it with any recent AT&T card, once you activate it in iTunes. No other company’s SIM card works in the iPhone.​

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/t...rss&adxnnlx=1183100566-SHQP8tr/OGol4W8fkzYw8Q

Looks like the iPhone uses a regular SIM. The phone is locked but you will able to put other modern AT&T SIMs and I'd imagine you'd be able switch the SIM that comes with it into other AT&T-locked or unlocked phones. Anyway, this should be confirmed (or not) very soon.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Apologies to those who read this the first two times I posted it yesterday. This is what David Pogue has to say about switching SIMS:

Can I use a SIM card from another phone? The iPhone comes with an installed SIM card, the tiny circuit board that stores your account information and phone number. Apple says that you should be able to replace it with any recent AT&T card, once you activate it in iTunes. No other company?s SIM card works in the iPhone.​

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/t...rss&adxnnlx=1183100566-SHQP8tr/OGol4W8fkzYw8Q

Looks like the iPhone uses a regular SIM. The phone is locked but you will able to put other modern AT&T SIMs and I'd imagine you'd be able switch the SIM that comes with it into other AT&T-locked or unlocked phones. Anyway, this should be confirmed (or not) very soon.

I saw that, but I was just responding to the poster who said many people probably didn't care about SIM switching. I'm not so sure that everyone with an iPhone will want to carry it in EVERY situation.

Another thing I forgot. What about those who exercise or walk the dog with their phones in hand? I've seen that and you may want to be careful doing those with an iPhone.

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
The downside is now you have to pay AT&T international roaming charges, vs. picking up a local or pre-paid SIM card. That might get expesnive, which is a shame for those who want this as a "world phone". I suppose though that is not important to you either.
Generally speaking, a carrier will submit to unlocking a device if you're travelling somewhere like this. You just have to put up some fuss about it. But now that it would seem the news is out regarding the removable SIM in the iPhone, one can't imagine leaks of soon-to-be customers reporting they got AT&T to unlock their iPhone are too far behind.

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
I want to know which phone is thinner.
omg... are you kidding? Just do a quick search on "treo iphone comparison" and you will find an article comparing the dimensions of several devices. You will also find that the thickness of the iPhone and MotoQ are within a tenth of a millimeter of each other. I give kudos iPhone for being thin... but thinnest? Please.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I saw that, but I was just responding to the poster who said many people probably didn't care about SIM switching. I'm not so sure that everyone with an iPhone will want to carry it in EVERY situation.
I agree with you completely. I was just noting that iPhone users will be able to switch out their SIMs just like anyone else (probably). Your blue-collar worker, school kid etc should all be fine :)

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
OK, I think I have the answer from the horse's mouth, which is better than hearsay. Looks like all you need to do is get an iPhone data plan and you can use the phone if you already have a contract.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU1297401%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=jJQLd9ug

So I guess you can move your existing SIM over after the phone is activated, since they claim you can pop open the SIM door with a pin.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
But now that it would seem the news is out regarding the removable SIM in the iPhone, one can't imagine leaks of soon-to-be customers reporting they got AT&T to unlock their iPhone are too far behind.
I'm not sure it's the most unexpected of news to be honest. I seem to recall that removable and interchangeable SIMs is a long-standing part of the GSM standard. Can anyone confirm?

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Pic of SIM removal:

iphone05.jpg

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
From that article Marcol posted, some things make me wonder what they were thinking. Just basic stuff is missing that you don't expect from a $600 phone.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Generally speaking, a carrier will submit to unlocking a device if you're travelling somewhere like this. You just have to put up some fuss about it. But now that it would seem the news is out regarding the removable SIM in the iPhone, one can't imagine leaks of soon-to-be customers reporting they got AT&T to unlock their iPhone are too far behind.

Well i hope you're right taroliw and that they WILL unlock it for ppl who have to go to Burma etc on work trips for months - but if they don't and require work fees then that'd be a real bummer...cuz then we won't see any unlocked versions on sale - that's how I plan to get version 2.0/3.0 if it doesn't come to the Caribbean thru local company like Cable & Wireless by 2008/9 :D

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
I agree being able to switch out SIMs is a good thing...

I just don't think 80% of those who own GSM phones in the states switch SIMs for any other reason then when they buy a NEW phone and that is done in the store.

I might be wrong but but the people on this board represent the top 10% of those who own phones so I think we see things differently then "John and Jane Q Customer".

Those that have spent an hour in an AT&T or T-Mobil store tell me do you think most of the people you saw in the store will switch their SIMs betwen phones on a regular basis?

Also, when I was at the AT&T store asking about the iPHONE most of the techs are upset that Apple and AT&T have not told them anything about the iPHONE I guess Friday between 4:00 and 6:00 they get to open the super secret file and learn about the workings of the iPHONE.

They did confirm that SIMs from other phones WILL NOT WORK IN THE iPHONE. There will be a $15 program to transfer info from your old SIM to the new one. They had no clue if the iPHONE SIM would be able to work in any other phone.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
They did confirm that SIMs from other phones WILL NOT WORK IN THE iPHONE. There will be a $15 program to transfer info from your old SIM to the new one. They had no clue if the iPHONE SIM would be able to work in any other phone.

I have faith in my fellow techies..someone WILL unlock it and then I can use it back here in the Caribbean :D

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
In Europe its not just techies which swap SIM's, its also normal people with more than one cellphone number who want to save on call costs. Remember than in Europe cellphone penetration is > 105%, meaning many people have more than one handset or contract. That is why dual sim phones are increasingly in demand.

Here's an old article:
In countries like Italy, Sweden and the UK, growth in penetration has shown no signs of abating, with penetration rising from 93%, 93% and 89%, respectively, in 2003 to 104%, 103% and 101% in 2004.

Although some people might think that the rise is fuelled by drug dealers toting multiple phones for ‘business’, the increase is actually explained by customers buying multiple phones and/or SIM cards
http://digital-lifestyles.info/2005/05/06/mobile-penetration-in-europe-to-hit-100-by-2007-analysis

In USA the penetration is only around 70%. In UK penetration at present is at least 116%, and 27% of people have 2 phones. In Luxembourg is 164%

Surur

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2