5 reasons not to get iPhone

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Best reason of all next to the contract requirement. Whoever heard of a non-swappable SIM GSM phone? Defeats the whole purpose of the convenience of GSM!

However, I would like to know if once activated then can you swap SIMs?

Good questions. I hope so. My Treo 650 will be my "running" around phone so as to keep my good phone safe.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Does anyone have any statistical info on people who SWAP SIM?

Best reason of all next to the contract requirement. Whoever heard of a non-swappable SIM GSM phone? Defeats the whole purpose of the convenience of GSM!

Other then Jason Bourne who really swaps SIM chips between devices? Remember the people on this board are in the minority so I was wondering what percentage of people who buy GSM phones really buy them with the selling point that they can just switch chips?

As an aside, since the chip switch is a no go with the iPHONE I was told you will be able to migrate your contacts and such to the iPHONE through a program some how?

Of course it is an extra $15 bucks!!!

Always the dollars!

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
I chip switch, not only to protect my Blackjack (it was still expensive when I bought it) but it has allowed me to try lots of different phones over the last few years (and keep my grandfathered unlimited Medianet) unlike my Sprint days when you nearly had to beg SPrint to let you change phones.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I chip switch, not only to protect my Blackjack (it was still expensive when I bought it) but it has allowed me to try lots of different phones over the last few years (and keep my grandfathered unlimited Medianet) unlike my Sprint days when you nearly had to beg SPrint to let you change phones.

dstrauss,

Have you compared HSDPA on the Blackjack to Sprint 700WX EVDO?

I am curious about the speed comparison.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Other then Jason Bourne who really swaps SIM chips between devices? Remember the people on this board are in the minority so I was wondering what percentage of people who buy GSM phones really buy them with the selling point that they can just switch chips?

All those people who buy gsm unlocked phones are aiming to swap sim cards. Thats why unlocked phones sell for more money. But then you knew this already.

Surur

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
dstrauss,

Have you compared HSDPA on the Blackjack to Sprint 700WX EVDO?

I am curious about the speed comparison.

I've not owned a 700WX, but according to dslreports.com in the HSDPA areas like San Antonio, Houston and Dallas I've almost always gotten over 700k with the exception of a recent trip to SA when the Spurs won the championship and it dropped to 500k a few times. :thumbsup:

The best I found was downtown Houston where it claimed to cross 1000k a couple of times, and averaged around 800k most of that trip.

Just don't know how that compares to 700WX speeds. You also have to figure in the fact that HSDPA is not near as widespread (geographically) as EVDO. AT&T likes to brag it is covering more "customers" with HSDPA, but that's a thin small blanket in terms of actual footprint. Still, out here in the boondocks of West Texas, the old Cingular had the best overall voice footprint even though you are relegated to EDGE (how iPhonish).

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site

As an aside, since the chip switch is a no go with the iPHONE I was told you will be able to migrate your contacts and such to the iPHONE through a program some how?

Of course it is an extra $15 bucks!!!

Always the dollars!

Everyone here is talking from personal experience unless they work for a survey co. no? Or google for stats all day. BEFORE I even had a smartphone I used to swap SIMs..int eh past 5 yrs I've lived in jamaic, Trinidad, U.S.A. and St. Lucia and I never bought a new phone during that time except for my treo 680..all the otehr times i was swapping Sims...I had a SE t68i go bad on me...so i got a cheap nokia and swapped. And plenty of ppl do this all over the world and off hand all the ppl i know do it esp when they want to upgrade (say from a motoroal v360 to a nokia 6103 etc). ppl who don't have PCs or smartphones do it quite regularly. here we have 2-3 telecom companies: Cable & Wirelss, Digicel and AT&T/Cingular (they're small here) and ppl switch networrks all the time depending on new packages. Maybe it's not an issue int eh US where ppl like to sign 2 and 3 yr contracts but a lot of ppl here use pay-as-you-go (prepaid accts) and even those who don't are not obligated to sign yearly contracts to use postpaid accounts (like me).

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Surur making my point of all the GSm sale how many are unlocked phones

All those people who buy gsm unlocked phones are aiming to swap sim cards. Thats why unlocked phones sell for more money. But then you knew this already.

Surur

Sarcasm aside, I know it is tough for you but try big guy, do you really think the majority of people who buy GSM phones buy them not because the phone has great features but because they can always swap out chips?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Sarcasm aside, I know it is tough for you but try big guy, do you really think the majority of people who buy GSM phones buy them not because the phone has great features but because they can always swap out chips?

Being able to swap out the SIM is a great feature.

Surur

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
Why is it either or?
Exactly. The ability to change providers, change phones, move between countries and temporarily use local service instead of paying international rates from your usual carrier... there are lots of reasons GSM's use of a SIM is better than a fixed device identity of CDMA. But this is just one factor in the choice of a device or service.

For some, speed will be most important... so some will go to EVDO since HSDPA isn't widespread in the U.S. But, for me, I'd rather retain the functionality and flexibility GSM offers, even if it does mean I have to live with EDGE speeds. YMMV

And, by the way, this would also be a reason for me not to buy the iPhone... no accessible SIM slot. :D

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
From David Pogue's recent FAQ:

Can I use a SIM card from another phone? The iPhone comes with an installed SIM card, the tiny circuit board that stores your account information and phone number. Apple says that you should be able to replace it with any recent AT&T card, once you activate it in iTunes. No other company?s SIM card works in the iPhone.​

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/t...db6efe7a2c97ec&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Sounds like there's nothing extraordinary here, no special SIM or anything. It's just locked.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Well, since all SIM cards have the same dimensions and specs (other than availalble ROM size), then someone's eventually going to unlock it...

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
restocking fee

Until then, I'm still going to try one out. You can always return it.

Just remember that there is a 10% restocking fee if you open the box. Also, the return period is 14 days. No being able to try this out for 30 days like any other ATT phone and return it with no fee if you don't like it.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Maybe in Europe but most people...

That's a good question. I really can't think of any other movies at all, which is strange because in real life people do it rather a lot.

and by most people I mean the silent majority not the phone aficionado here, only switch out a SIM when the store clerk does it for them when they might buy a new phone.

Not saying switching chips isn't a nice feature but I think a majority of people will not care if they can switch SIMs in the iPHONE.

My opinion as I have no data to back it up but as with most things discussed here we are usually outside the mainstream.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner