5 reasons not to get iPhone

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Actually, if you use the word "phone" as a verb, then iPhone is gramatically correct.

Seriously, I don't get the hype either, but as a a long-time Apple shareholder, I say "Rock on, Steve!"

Methinks he was really thinking in terms of that classic movie line "I am not an animal!"

DominTreo

Apr 24, 2007
Visit site
How about this simple reson not to get it:

iPhone has no A2DP - the phone with an iPod in it can't stream music over headphones via bluetooth, you have got to be kidding me.

I never knew that AT&T did not offer insurance, so what is going to happen when people start stealing these like the iPod's were.

Something tells me that this whole thing is going to be a let down as far as the hype goes, but a lot of reviews say it is worhty. Must be like movie critics, I only go when they say it stinks.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
How about this simple reson not to get it:

iPhone has no A2DP - the phone with an iPod in it can't stream music over headphones via bluetooth, you have got to be kidding me.

I never knew that AT&T did not offer insurance, so what is going to happen when people start stealing these like the iPod's were.

Something tells me that this whole thing is going to be a let down as far as the hype goes, but a lot of reviews say it is worhty. Must be like movie critics, I only go when they say it stinks.

Yes, no A2DP is a glaring omission.

Maybe Jobs can tell us if was like 3G - "It wasn't around when we designed the phone".

DominTreo

Apr 24, 2007
Visit site
Although i will say this, that picture I saw earlier of the phone dock with built in headset chrger was a cool idea and wish I had one of those.

iPhone has a lot of cool pretty features but it is goingto have a lot of problems, too expensive for the general public as far as a phone goes, there are not many 22 year olds willing to drop that kind of jack on a phone and service. But then again, our country loves to go into debt for instant gratification, so I am probably wrong there.

Broke screens may be a big problem since it is glass. I just hope we do not see some kind of bad news stories on CNN during the release, I hope everyone gets out alive.

Guess I am just sick of the hype and build up.

ksom

Jul 19, 2004
Visit site
The Iphone is innovative, but they are already working on an updated version. The keyboard is going to be an issue. Plus an overabundance of accessories will come out. Is the USB adapter the same as an ipod? Its a multi media device that makes phone calls, while the treo to me is a phone that has muti media capabilities. BTW since ATT doesn't offer insurance, how many are going to spend over $1000.00 to leave a current contract, sign up with ATT, purchase the iphone, and replace it when it breaks?

Before Treo 650, a Treo is PDA first and then a phone. Start from 650, 2 phone buttons are added, made it more like a phone.

I got a feeling that iPhone will evolve more like that. They may have to make it an easier phone, either by adding phone buttons or some smart gesture ;).

naivete

Sep 2, 2005
Visit site
Five reasons not to get an iPhone:

1. Price
2. Slow data connection
3. No hard thumbpad
4. Requires a two-year contract
5. I don't have a tent to camp out for the phone.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
1. Surur will be mad at you
2. Archie will like you
3. iPhonecentral.com sucks
4. Posting on these forums will also suck if you have physical proof of something about the phone
5. Your treocentral posts will have to be made without tactile feedback.

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
Why I'm Not Getting an iPhone
Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:06PM EDT
See Comments (259)
The iPhone hype is so intense right now, I think people will be buying this phone based on hype alone. I mean, is the phone really that great? Our duty is to keep you informed regarding details we come across, so the more I read about the iPhone, the less I want it.

At a glance, the device looks fantastic, features sound fun, and there's no doubt this phone is the "it" phone this year. But realistically, would you pay $500-$600 for any other phone?

I know that I was taken in by the Palm hype with the 650 and 680 and I paid $500 for at least one of them. The 650 offered little over the 600 - which in Palm's defense was a great phone compared to the 300. The 680, again, offered little (yes it came in colors and the antenna was chopped off) over the 650 - but on the flip side the battery life was / is worse then any cell phone or PDA that I've ever had. Is the iPhone going to be the be all and end all of phones / pdas? Probably not, but will it blow every Palm offering out of the water? No question in my mind!

Dunc

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
How does it blow palm out of the water? The palm can do much much more. Instead of worrying if palm has landscape mode and voicemail like the apple..let's worry about what the iphone doesn't have that a treo can do. It's a lot and i don't really feel like listing it all.

The iphone's interface is cool, no doubt. But it's easy to see that it is geared toward the technically ignorant masses. Apple will hold your hand (and happily take more money doing it). Palm will not hold your hand. Heck, palm will slap that hand away much less hold it..lol

As a palm 700p owner, i wouldn't mind an iphone to play around with. Looks like fun. And it might even be good for a few limited things. Might get one for the wife. But in no way would i replace my treo with it. Perhaps with the Sprint Mogul i would..but that's another phone and another story.

tony bag o donuts

Oct 5, 2005
Visit site
I really think that after a month or two I would get bored with the iphone. The treo really always keeps me interested. I agree with the above that probably by the 3rd generation it will be a killer device. But, just like the original Ipod, to have buttons or not? That is the question. How is the keyboard on a sunny day? This phone right now is a conversation piece at best.

syphex#IM

Jun 11, 2007
www.myspace.com
The Iphone is innovative, but they are already working on an updated version. The keyboard is going to be an issue. Plus an overabundance of accessories will come out. Is the USB adapter the same as an ipod? Its a multi media device that makes phone calls, while the treo to me is a phone that has muti media capabilities. BTW since ATT doesn't offer insurance, how many are going to spend over $1000.00 to leave a current contract, sign up with ATT, purchase the iphone, and replace it when it breaks?

The iphone is not innovative at all... whats innovative about having you tube (which all treo's can already use) or an mp3 player on board (have a 4Gb chip in mine already for way less then the iphone costs) or an all touch screen (which HTC has already made) there isn't anything innovative about this phone. Its on a crappy network with no 3g speed (which by the way the commercial they have showing the phones use with you tube is completely false.. not being on a 3g network there is NO WAY IN HELL the video would ever come out that clear) my treo 700p has all the features that iphone has and I paid a hell of a lot less for it all... I think people are going to buy this phone in the beginning for the hype and then you will probably notice it will die off after a while because people will realize they are not that great.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I know that I was taken in by the Palm hype with the 650 and 680 and I paid $500 for at least one of them. The 650 offered little over the 600 - which in Palm's defense was a great phone compared to the 300. The 680, again, offered little (yes it came in colors and the antenna was chopped off) over the 650 - but on the flip side the battery life was / is worse then any cell phone or PDA that I've ever had. Is the iPhone going to be the be all and end all of phones / pdas? Probably not, but will it blow every Palm offering out of the water? No question in my mind!

Dunc

Must be the 650 or I'd say you were really robbed! lol

Personally tactile feedback will still be a big thing for me.. saw the typing video and two or three things

1. real fast (if it's real I think it is but the whole 80GB sync thing casts doubts about parts of the videos)
2. bet you he couldn't do half that speed w/o looking constantly
3. still not one-handed and I'm sure the speed would drop even more trying to type without a. one hand holding it or b. both hands holding it

okok one more...

4. no tactile feedback

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
The 650 offered little over the 600 - which in Palm's defense was a great phone compared to the 300. The 680, again, offered little (yes it came in colors and the antenna was chopped off) over the 650 - but on the flip side the battery life was / is worse then any cell phone or PDA that I've ever had.
A little OT, and heaven knows there's been a million threads about it... but the little devil on my shoulder can't resist. ;)

I didn't own a Treo until the 650. I thought the 600 was interesting, but my barrier for entry was no bluetooth. I was also nonplussed by no removable battery and complete loss of data upon battery death. So, to me, the 650 was a fairly decent bump in feature set from the 600... and I waited for the 650 specifically for that reason.

I would defiintely agree that the 680 was something less of an overall improvement the way the 650 was over the 600. But the reason I made the move was that even with *just* background email and IM, the 650 was so woefully underpowered with memory that it regularly crashed. If I get a crash once every few weeks with the 680 it's amazing... and all that was needed to fix that was a memory bump. So, yeah, the 680 wasn't that big a change... but it was changed in ways that were actually quite relevant to some of us. :D

To bring this back to the iPhone. There is actually a great deal about this device that is SUPER compelling, beyond the hype. In fact, I could live with the contract and the high price.... IF it was actually a smartphone. And in all reality, the barrier to entry here is mostly about the fact that you can't put third party apps on it. It's got a kickass operating system -- Palm should be embarassed that Apple has done a OS X release for a mobile device this quickly, where they *STILL* don't have Linux out for their hardware (smartphone, Foleo doesn't count).

I think that if Apple were to make subsequent revisions of the iPhone more open, and really enable it as a smartphone, then it would kick some ***. But if they keep it closed and feature phone like, then it just wind up being another player. The confusion point would be... is it a phone with media features? or is it an iPod with a radio and dial pad integration to the contacts application? Personally, I tend to think it's the latter... with woefully little storage as a media device.

I know it would kill battery life, but give me a iPhone with a 30GB drive and open API for third party app development, I'd pay even more to get one. Maybe they could even get fancy and have some flash as a fast-access cache for media files and use the disk drive less frequently to preserve battery. :D

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
A little OT, and heaven knows there's been a million threads about it... but the little devil on my shoulder can't resist. ;)

I didn't own a Treo until the 650. I thought the 600 was interesting, but my barrier for entry was no bluetooth. I was also nonplussed by no removable battery and complete loss of data upon battery death. So, to me, the 650 was a fairly decent bump in feature set from the 600... and I waited for the 650 specifically for that reason.

I would defiintely agree that the 680 was something less of an overall improvement the way the 650 was over the 600. But the reason I made the move was that even with *just* background email and IM, the 650 was so woefully underpowered with memory that it regularly crashed. If I get a crash once every few weeks with the 680 it's amazing... and all that was needed to fix that was a memory bump. So, yeah, the 680 wasn't that big a change... but it was changed in ways that were actually quite relevant to some of us. :D

To bring this back to the iPhone. There is actually a great deal about this device that is SUPER compelling, beyond the hype. In fact, I could live with the contract and the high price.... IF it was actually a smartphone. And in all reality, the barrier to entry here is mostly about the fact that you can't put third party apps on it. It's got a kickass operating system -- Palm should be embarassed that Apple has done a OS X release for a mobile device this quickly, where they *STILL* don't have Linux out for their hardware (smartphone, Foleo doesn't count).

I think that if Apple were to make subsequent revisions of the iPhone more open, and really enable it as a smartphone, then it would kick some ***. But if they keep it closed and feature phone like, then it just wind up being another player. The confusion point would be... is it a phone with media features? or is it an iPod with a radio and dial pad integration to the contacts application? Personally, I tend to think it's the latter... with woefully little storage as a media device.

I know it would kill battery life, but give me a iPhone with a 30GB drive and open API for third party app development, I'd pay even more to get one. Maybe they could even get fancy and have some flash as a fast-access cache for media files and use the disk drive less frequently to preserve battery. :D
Nice post; classy. A refreshing narrative.

I, too, would love the device you describe in the last paragraph. Until then, I'm still going to try one out. You can always return it.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
I see we needed a THREAD ON WHY I HATE THE iPHONE

Isn't this thread redundant. I thought the whole board was about this topic?

By the way you can get deals from AT&T if you are thinking of switching.

The rep at a store in DC offered me a free Razor G3, Samsung A727 an free activation if I switch my family plan to AT&T and buy the iPHONE.

Waiting to hear if I can get anything else from them.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Here's an even better clue on why to avoid from the AT&T FAQ...

Q. I'm an existing customer. Can I swap out my current SIM card and start right away?
A. No. iPhone must be activated before it can be used. iPhone includes a pre-installed SIM card for your convenience.

"For your convenience.." my tuckus. Makes it absolutely impossible to unlock and use on another network, aka CDMA phones. Of course, many of its features (visual voicemail) wouldn't work on another network anyway, but still a pretty cheesy thing to do considering AT&T's overseas rates when you travel outside the good old USA.

Best reason of all next to the contract requirement. Whoever heard of a non-swappable SIM GSM phone? Defeats the whole purpose of the convenience of GSM!

However, I would like to know if once activated then can you swap SIMs?