5 reasons not to get iPhone

newtonjack

Oct 17, 2004
hometown.aol.com
Why I'm Not Getting an iPhone
Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:06PM EDT
See Comments (259)
The iPhone hype is so intense right now, I think people will be buying this phone based on hype alone. I mean, is the phone really that great? Our duty is to keep you informed regarding details we come across, so the more I read about the iPhone, the less I want it.

At a glance, the device looks fantastic, features sound fun, and there's no doubt this phone is the "it" phone this year. But realistically, would you pay $500-$600 for any other phone? Like many of you, I'm still debating whether to buy an iPhone or not, so I've compiled a list of cons (since the pros are obvious) just to give myself a reality-check come Friday night.

Price/Storage: Probably the biggest reason to wait is the price.The iPhone will retail in stores for $500 (4GB) and $600 (8GB) ? AND you still have to sign a new two-year agreement. Don't expect this phone to replace your iPod either. The top-of-the-line $600, 8GB iPhone only holds 2,000 songs, and only a handful of videos and full-length movies. I also don't understand why you have to buy the iPhone at full price, and still sign a two-year contract. You could easily get a comparable phone actually running on a 3G network like a Treo 750 for $199 with a two-year contract, or an 80GB video iPod for almost half the price.

Plans: What's really bothering me about this is AT&T is playing into all this hype too, forgetting about its customers. I called AT&T today to find out more details about switching carriers, and the rep was clueless. Come on guys, we needed pricing details about a month before the phone went on sale so we could estimate costs. Why is the company being so secretive? We know the phone is launching on Friday, and we know what it does. So why did it wait so long to reveal service plans? At least now we know getting an iPhone isn't going to be cheap. Chris Null outlined the cost of each service plan, the cheapest plan being $60/mo for 450 minutes. He says that in two years, you'll end up paying close to $2,000 for service alone. Plus there is that $36 activation fee, and a two-year contract on top of that. Those who already have an AT&T account can expect to pay an additional $20-$30 for the "iPhone plan" which includes Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, and unlimited data since there is no voice-only plan. And if you think you can get the iPhone to use without service, think again. Apple's web site says a two-year agreement is required for iPhone activation including iPod features.

Network: Surprisingly, the iPhone does not run on a third-generation (3G) network, instead it runs on the slower EDGE network. Forbes thinks Apple opted for the slower network because AT&T's EDGE coverage spans across 13,000 cities and towns nationwide, compared with only 165 major U.S metro areas that have 3G coverage. It also brings up another excellent point. Since 3G devices are interchangeable between faster and slower networks, why did Apple still choose EDGE? Other AT&T smartphones like Samsung's BlackJack and Treo 750 run on 3G, and for what I understand AT&T is slowing moving away from EDGE. So perhaps a second- or third-generation iPhone will have 3G capability. And while the iPhone may have Wi-Fi capabilities, realistically, looking for a hotspot when you're out can be a challenge, unless you pay an extra $10 for T-Mobile access at Starbucks.

First Generation: A geek's rule of thumb is to never get a first generation gadget. Apple is one of the few companies that revamps its products at such a quick pace, that in this case, they actually make it quite bearable to wait for the second revision. Look at all the improvements they've made on iPods and MacBooks. It may seem like waiting for a new iPhone will be an eternity, but I bet it'll be a matter of months before we see a better, faster version.

Long Lines: I love technology as much as the next guy, but no gadget is worth standing in line days in advance for, not even the iPhone. People have already started to line up, and some are even betting real money that someone will get trampled. I would add getting shot at, beaten, mugged, and possibly being hospitalized to the list.
On top of all the above reasons, there's still some doubts about about the lack of keyboard, inability to sync with corporate internal email systems, and battery life. So lets get this straight. We're expected to pay for an overpriced phone, an expensive service plan, sign a new two-year contract, and still wait in line hoping to get one? No thanks.

Still getting an iPhone? Why or Why not?

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/14081

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
First Generation: A geek's rule of thumb is to never get a first generation gadget.
That may be the "rule of thumb" for a savvy consumer, but it's not the MO of a true geek. A *true* geek is an early adopter, usually overpaying and acting as a beta tester for the "privilege."

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
That may be the "rule of thumb" for a savvy consumer, but it's not the MO of a true geek. A *true* geek is an early adopter, usually overpaying and acting as a beta tester for the "privilege."

Actually, I always thought a true geek was an innovator themselves, running Linux on an iPod so they could play their OGG files or the like. Buying a mass-market consumer device, especially one with limited options for modding as the iPhone, is pretty anti-geek and fashion-conscious - more like buying the right sort of trainers!

stroths

Apr 16, 2006
Visit site
I won't get it because iphone is not gramatically correct. If they name it to the Iamaphone, then maybe I'll consider it :p

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Here's an even better clue on why to avoid from the AT&T FAQ...

Q. I'm an existing customer. Can I swap out my current SIM card and start right away?
A. No. iPhone must be activated before it can be used. iPhone includes a pre-installed SIM card for your convenience.

"For your convenience.." my tuckus. Makes it absolutely impossible to unlock and use on another network, aka CDMA phones. Of course, many of its features (visual voicemail) wouldn't work on another network anyway, but still a pretty cheesy thing to do considering AT&T's overseas rates when you travel outside the good old USA.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

Q. I'm an existing customer. Can I swap out my current SIM card and start right away?
A. No. iPhone must be activated before it can be used. iPhone includes a pre-installed SIM card for your convenience.

"For your convenience.." my tuckus. Makes it absolutely impossible to unlock and use on another network, aka CDMA phones. Of course, many of its features (visual voicemail) wouldn't work on another network anyway, but still a pretty cheesy thing to do considering AT&T's overseas rates when you travel outside the good old USA.

I'll be curious if this is technically true, or if they are trying to tell people not to do it.

I guess we will know on Friday.

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
Actually, I always thought a true geek was an innovator themselves, running Linux on an iPod so they could play their OGG files or the like. Buying a mass-market consumer device, especially one with limited options for modding as the iPhone, is pretty anti-geek and fashion-conscious - more like buying the right sort of trainers!
Good points. I agree.

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
While it sounds like the iPhone may require a special AT&T SIM card, it remains unclear as to whether or not you could take that "special" SIM card use it with another GSM phone. I'm guessing you can, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

tony bag o donuts

Oct 5, 2005
Visit site
The Iphone is innovative, but they are already working on an updated version. The keyboard is going to be an issue. Plus an overabundance of accessories will come out. Is the USB adapter the same as an ipod? Its a multi media device that makes phone calls, while the treo to me is a phone that has muti media capabilities. BTW since ATT doesn't offer insurance, how many are going to spend over $1000.00 to leave a current contract, sign up with ATT, purchase the iphone, and replace it when it breaks?

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
Well, that's the lore anyway. I know lots of geeks that look at this and turn their noses up muttering "feature phone." I suppose that if I didn't already have a quite capable iPod and a Treo then maybe I'd consider it. But the killer for me that wasn't mentioned in the con list in the original posting is NO THIRD PARTY APPS. No, Web 2.0 doesn't count... not even close.

Another potential con, and one that the masses haven't been able to measure yet, is the usability of the virtual keyboard.

Another potential con is the durability of the large glass-encased display. How long will it last in pockets? How easily will it crack when used/abused?

As for me, I'm with those who say WAIT.

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org

No kidding. I kept waiting to hear that this rumor was false, that the SIM would in fact be removable, so that you could at least use an existing service with it. This basically ties the hands of iPhone users like the hands of CDMA phone holders get tied. Bad decision, since most GSM users revel in their ability to swap SIMs and move around without being tied to one carrier. DUMB MOVE, IMHO.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
No kidding. I kept waiting to hear that this rumor was false, that the SIM would in fact be removable, so that you could at least use an existing service with it. This basically ties the hands of iPhone users like the hands of CDMA phone holders get tied. Bad decision, since most GSM users revel in their ability to swap SIMs and move around without being tied to one carrier. DUMB MOVE, IMHO.

This one could be a real deal breaker for some. When I'm going "off-road" so to speak, I swap the SIM into an old throw away phone to protect my Blackjack...I sure as heavens don't want to carry my $599 iPhone to a mud bath...:D

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
... Is the USB adapter the same as an ipod? Its a multi media device that makes phone calls, while the treo to me is a phone that has muti media capabilities.
Check out the current site. There are now photos and video showing all the exterior features of the device. And the answer is that *yes* it does have a compatible iPod dock connector. So, I would tend to agree that this should actually be seen as a really cool iPod with a phone built in... not the other way around. When seen this way, decisions they made about third party applications start to make more sense. But $600 for a phone-enabled iPod with 8GB storage?? They're kidding, right?

BTW since ATT doesn't offer insurance, how many are going to spend over $1000.00 to leave a current contract, sign up with ATT, purchase the iphone, and replace it when it breaks?
Yes, I'm very curious to see what happens when this occurs. I already hear people ***** and moan about having to replace bricked 200-300 iPods; such as when hard drives die. There will be some serious meltdowns after all the hype settles. :D

LiveFaith

Mar 12, 2005
Visit site
So, I would tend to agree that this should actually be seen as a really cool iPod with a phone built in... not the other way around. When seen this way, decisions they made about third party applications start to make more sense.

This is where the rubber meets the road. If Apple had done one simple thing, this outrageous hype would have been significantly curtailed.

Simply name it ... iPod Phone.

With that name this device makes a whole lot more sense. The UI is as slick as the original iPods. This takes the iPod and makes it a multimedia featurephone.

Then again, If I'm Apple and can garner $3.25 gazillion in free advertising (hype), I would take it.

xianfox

May 18, 2001
Visit site
I won't get it because iphone is not gramatically correct.
Actually, if you use the word "phone" as a verb, then iPhone is gramatically correct.

Seriously, I don't get the hype either, but as a a long-time Apple shareholder, I say "Rock on, Steve!"

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods