Exchange Activesync for iPhone

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Well, Apple just keeps chopping down objections. Number three on my list was no Exchange sync, so guess what...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=534

My bet is the official announcement comes Thursday. You know, like Chinese water torture...disclose a goody a day. Before long, even I'll be in the one of those ridiculous lines...:eek:

Insp_Gadget

Nov 13, 2000
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it

If, indeed, Apple has licensed EAS, my guess is that it won't be available out of the box on June 29th. If it is already on the phone (or in the box on CD), then why hasn't Apple mentioned it? Surely, they are interested in attracting as many potential buyers as possible, no?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
As the article says, Nokia, MS's biggest competitor, already licenses Exchange Activesync. It only helps MS's highly profitable server business, so they license it to all comers.

Its up to Apple if they want it or not. MS wont say no.

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
If true, I hope it goes all the way, and syncs calendar also (tasks and notes aren't important to me)

Interesting quote from a Microsoft rep in that article:

“It’s in Microsoft’s interest for Exchange to be supported as widely as possible, even on what will probably be a CONSUMER-ORIENTED PRODUCT.”

Insp_Gadget

Nov 13, 2000
Visit site
As the article says, Nokia, MS's biggest competitor, already licenses Exchange Activesync. It only helps MS's highly profitable server business, so they license it to all comers.

Its up to Apple if they want it or not. MS wont say no.

Surur

Agreed. Microsoft will license it to anyone. I just think that if Apple had it ready for launch they would have said so. This is probably wishful thinking.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
If, indeed, Apple has licensed EAS, my guess is that it won't be available out of the box on June 29th.
Nokia's approach is that you have to go to their web site and d/l a small app, 'Mail for Exchange', that sets the EAS preferences for the mail app. I guess the reason might be that Microsoft charge by volume and this way Nokia limits it to those who want it.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I said it once before somewhere on this forum (probably laid to waste in disbelief) :mad: but I believe IPSec and the M$ developed PPTP is in use on the iPhone.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Ah, yes. Mentioned it to Pattycerts when he or she berated and chided me for saying the iPhone would function as a business tool.

Then of course, another onslaught against me for even mentioning such a thing to defend my statement.

See ya!

Dim-Ize

Jul 7, 2005
Visit site
Wow! EAS and EDGE were my primary objections for the launch version. Secondary objections are GPS (using software like TOMTOM, not GoogleMaps) and 3rd party apps.

They are knocking them off one by one :)

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Ah, yes. Mentioned it to Pattycerts when he or she berated and chided me for saying the iPhone would function as a business tool.

Then of course, another onslaught against me for even mentioning such a thing to defend my statement.

See ya!

He...

I don't "berate and chide" anyone, unless it is in response to the same.

I probably disagreed with you (which I still do), for a number of reasons. But it seems to you there is no in between

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
He...

I don't "berate and chide" anyone, unless it is in response to the same.

I probably disagreed with you (which I still do), for a number of reasons. But it seems to you there is no in between

Patty,

Don't you realize that Archie takes alternative POVs to be personal attacks against him? How dare you hurt his feelings like that? Have you no compassion for the "special" people? ;-)

G-funkster

Feb 4, 2003
Visit site

TomUps

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
I was told by someone in the know tonight that the announcement tommorow would say apple licensed the technology, and a future update for the iphone to support EAS would be forthcoming. Dont know yet if its true or not.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I was told by someone in the know tonight that the announcement tommorow would say apple licensed the technology, and a future update for the iphone to support EAS would be forthcoming. Dont know yet if its true or not.
Interesting. Let's just see what's coming down the road....

That may impact stock prices :cool:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73