iPhone/ATT rates on Apples's site...

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Ka-ching! This part would peeve me off..are they saying w/o AT&T you cannot use the iPod feature?! So muc for unlocked iPhones (software lock it seems, or tied in to the SIM)

"Minimum new 2-year wireless service plan and activation fee required to activate iPhone features, including iPod; plans are subject to AT&T credit approval."

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I found Archie!!!

gregpacker_small.jpg

http://firstinline.wordpress.com/

So thats why he has not been posting so much recently!!

Surur

conekkted

Jan 26, 2007
Visit site
Ka-ching! This part would peeve me off..are they saying w/o AT&T you cannot use the iPod feature?! So muc for unlocked iPhones (software lock it seems, or tied in to the SIM)

I have mixed feelings about the whole unlocked phone scene. I don't expect my Comcast cable box to work with Time Warner cable and thus get different channels. It is true that you do "buy" the handset. But as long as they advertise what you can and can't do up front then its a "buyer beware" situation. I know the iPhone is expensive. But if everyone was allowed to buy the phone and then bolt to another carrier, the phone cost alone would not pay for ATT's investment in licensing, infrastructure and R&D for the iPhone campaign.

Sux for us.

amon

Feb 22, 2006
Visit site
Nice.

I currently have the 39.99. voice plan + the 19.99 media max for my 650.
Knowing I can pay the same price for the same features on my iphone is nice.

Godd job!

Hellenek

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
Apple should've released an unlocked phone. Wouldn't have minded fewer features like selecting random voicemails. Maybe that'll be included in one of the 'iphone family' set...

conekkted

Jan 26, 2007
Visit site
Hellenek said:
Apple should've released an unlocked phone. Wouldn't have minded fewer features like selecting random voicemails. Maybe that'll be included in one of the 'iphone family' set...

I hear ya. It would be cool if Apple released a phone that was "open" to unlocking. But it would be suicide if they made one and advertised it for unlocking. You have to realize that Apple and ATT spend hundreds of hours testing and tweaking the HW/SW so that all of the features and call functions work just right with the phone on ATT's network. If you allow it to work with any carrier there will certainly be numerous bugs which will cause thousands of unhappy support calls to Apple. Also, the unfair bad press that they would get is not worth the trouble. You would have Verizon/Sprint/T-mobile customers bad-mouthing the iPhone and saying that it doesn't work like Apple shows in their slick videos. It really is a slippery slope for them. In the end, the way they are doing it is the only smart business decision.

Hellenek

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
That makes sense. Is that then equivalent to OS X running on a Windoze/Linux PC? What happens when iPhone users travel abroad?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Note surur tactic.

Completely ignore the fact that I was correct about the voice and data plan pricing.

Actually Archie, I never argued with you about any price plan, but maybe what you are actually asking for is validation. OK then.

Archie, you are a very special boy, and you have done really, really well.

Feel better now?

Surur

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I hear ya. It would be cool if Apple released a phone that was "open" to unlocking. But it would be suicide if they made one and advertised it for unlocking. You have to realize that Apple and ATT spend hundreds of hours testing and tweaking the HW/SW so that all of the features and call functions work just right with the phone on ATT's network. If you allow it to work with any carrier there will certainly be numerous bugs which will cause thousands of unhappy support calls to Apple. Also, the unfair bad press that they would get is not worth the trouble. You would have Verizon/Sprint/T-mobile customers bad-mouthing the iPhone and saying that it doesn't work like Apple shows in their slick videos. It really is a slippery slope for them. In the end, the way they are doing it is the only smart business decision.

It just sucks for consumer freedom. I am right now using my treo 680 in the caribbean (400 unlocked and $50 carrier locked - a good option)..it may be 5 yrs before I can imagine doing that with an iPhone...at lest ipods aren't DRM music only.

Anyway I guess once more we'll be partioned into the haves and have-nots whether we want it o not lol! I doubt that offering the iPhones w/o visual voicemail for $700 and $800 would've hurt Apple and they certainly would've sold more than the millions they're projecting (ppl buy P900 fo the sme rpice all the time).

I still think Apple should've never started this locked in to ANY network..but I think the control freak side of Jobs menat he wanted as much powerover the device as anything and ATT wer te ones willing to make the deal.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Note surur tactic.

Completely ignore the fact that I was correct about the voice and data plan pricing.

How you were correct about the pricing? Like you were correct about BT 1.1 and Wi-Fi?

I think you mean that "mikec" was correct about the pricing.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
How you were correct about the pricing? Like you were correct about BT 1.1 and Wi-Fi?

I think you mean that "mikec" was correct about the pricing.
ummmm... since you seem to be having trouble remembering things, this is what you thought.

Why does eberyone say the phone is $600?

It's really $2,600 for the phone and 2 years service.
My bad...it's actually $3,000.

This is what I knew:
We'll see about that. ...this voice plan is $39.99 a month and data is $19.99 a month

rsnadel

Feb 9, 2007
Visit site
It just sucks for consumer freedom. I am right now using my treo 680 in the caribbean (400 unlocked and $50 carrier locked - a good option)..it may be 5 yrs before I can imagine doing that with an iPhone...at lest ipods aren't DRM music only.

Anyway I guess once more we'll be partioned into the haves and have-nots whether we want it o not lol! I doubt that offering the iPhones w/o visual voicemail for $700 and $800 would've hurt Apple and they certainly would've sold more than the millions they're projecting (ppl buy P900 fo the sme rpice all the time).

I still think Apple should've never started this locked in to ANY network..but I think the control freak side of Jobs menat he wanted as much powerover the device as anything and ATT wer te ones willing to make the deal.

You're forgetting one other key element: cellular is new territory for Apple. Having AT&T as a partner...a partner that will spend many millions of dollars advertising the product, a partner that helped optimize the wireless guts, a partner that means Apple need only focus on one technology (GSM) in its debut model...reduces Apple's risk enormously. Just the advertising support alone probably makes it worth the partnership. Apple can't afford a misstep here...better to have a small success than a big failure.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods