Quote from the NJ Ledger

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
"The first smart phone aimed at non-techies, the $599 iPhone ($499 for one with less storage) replaces a keypad with a touch screen." --Page1 of the New Jersey Star Ledger, Sunday, June 24th, 2007.

Go ahead....rip away. :rolleyes:

Makes sense to me.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Per Wikipedia:

A smartphone is a full-featured mobile phone with personal computer like functionality. Most smartphones are camera phones that support full featured email capabilities with the functionality of a complete personal organizer. An important feature of most smartphones is that applications for enhanced data processing and connectivity can be installed on the device[1], by contrast to regular phones which support sandboxed applications. These applications may be developed by the manufacturer of the device, by the operator or by any other third-party software developer. "Smart" functionality includes any additional interface including a miniature QWERTY keyboard, a touch screen, or even just secure access to company mail, such as is provided by a BlackBerry.

IMO smartphones are unextended through installable applications. I guess we'll see how smart it is when Web 2.0 apps appear and what they can actually do. Hopefully it is smart (if a bit slow because of EDGE).

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Per Wikipedia:

A smartphone is a full-featured mobile phone with personal computer like functionality. Most smartphones are camera phones that support full featured email capabilities with the functionality of a complete personal organizer. An important feature of most smartphones is that applications for enhanced data processing and connectivity can be installed on the device[1], by contrast to regular phones which support sandboxed applications. These applications may be developed by the manufacturer of the device, by the operator or by any other third-party software developer. "Smart" functionality includes any additional interface including a miniature QWERTY keyboard, a touch screen, or even just secure access to company mail, such as is provided by a BlackBerry.

By that definition, the iPhone is smart.

"MOST SMARTPHONES" does not mean all smartphones.

The applications for enhanced functionality are already on the iPhone or will be available via Web apps. Even without the web apps, there are enhanced features not found on a typical phone. Please note the use of the word, "OR".

Lastly, there is definitely the QWERTY interface.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
By that definition, the iPhone is smart.

"MOST SMARTPHONES" does not mean all smartphones.

The applications for enhanced functionality are already on the iPhone or will be available via Web apps. Even without the web apps, there are enhanced features not found on a typical phone.
Agreed, and note also this bit:

These applications may be developed by the manufacturer of the device, by the operator or by any other third-party software developer.

The Wikipedia article has a fair stab at a description in my view, but really only emphasises the nebulous nature of the term. It's so poorly defined, and with so little agreement (take a look at the discussion of article), I'm not sure it has a great deal of value anymore. We generally say that words are defined by usage, but when the things themselves keep changing so rapidly and there's such a disparity of views it does get rather difficult.

Bottom line though: if enough people say the iPhone is a smartphone then it is.

tony bag o donuts

Oct 5, 2005
Visit site
I love the star ledger!!! great paper. Anyhow, is the phone smart if I am dumb? What would happen if I only used half of its processor/ memory? Is it only an average phone and not a "smart" phone?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Which phones have TV's in them?

Quite a few. Where have you been?

Like this one

SGH-P900.jpg

Surur

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Quite a few. Where have you been?

Like this one

SGH-P900.jpg

Surur

Is that a TV that picks up local television broadcasts, or streamed videos?

Can I turn on CBS and watch Letterman at 11:30pm?

Where have I been? I've been here, moderately content with my Treo 650 and not shopping around for an upgrade. I knew a strong candidate was looming on the horizon.

Oh, by the way, is there a need for the sarcasm? "Where have you been?"

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Is that a TV that picks up local television broadcasts, or streamed videos?

Can I turn on CBS and watch Letterman at 11:30pm?

Where have I been? I've been here, moderately content with my Treo 650 and not shopping around for an upgrade. I knew a strong candidate was looming on the horizon.

No, that would be my Treo 700WX with Sling picking up Letterman at 11:30...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

That was really mild sarcasm. Still though, how could you not have heard of digital TV receivers in phones by now. That handset received digital terrestrial broadcasts in Europe and Asia, and I understood Modeo was doing trials in New York. The service is very popular in Italy for example. Its not streaming, which has its good and bad sides.

Just google DMB handsets. They have been out for at least a year now.

Imagine if I asked you which phone will have an Ipod in it?

Surur

Gaurav

Nov 6, 2002
Visit site
I agree with others that the iPhone is NOT a smartphone...it is in fact a very powerful feature-phone. Perhaps the most powerful Feature-PHone ever created with functionality even more powerful than most standard smartphones that have open platforms and 3rd party applications which the iPhone does not (silly web apps not-withstanding).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I agree with others that the iPhone is NOT a smartphone...it is in fact a very powerful feature-phone. Perhaps the most powerful Feature-PHone ever created with functionality even more powerful than most standard smartphones that have open platforms and 3rd party applications which the iPhone does not (silly web apps not-withstanding).

I dont think it has more functionality. As Jobs said: Its a phone, its an Ipod, its a great internet device. Thats all really.

Surur

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
"The first smart phone aimed at non-techies, the $599 iPhone ($499 for one with less storage) replaces a keypad with a touch screen." --Page1 of the New Jersey Star Ledger, Sunday, June 24th, 2007.
I was more drawn to some of the other points made in the article like:
The NJLedger said:
- Three years ago, Apple CEO Steve Jobs was skeptical that anyone would want to watch video on mobile devices.

- In case you've been meditating on a mountaintop for the last six months, Apple's iPhone may be the most hyped creation since the Super Bowl.

- It sends e-mail, surfs the Web and plays songs -- while serving as a mousetrap, sonogram, pan flute and hand grenade, according to "Late Night with Conan O'Brien."

- America has more than 200 million cell phone subscribers, yet no more than 4 percent have ever watched a video on their phones, according to analyst Charles Golvin of Forrester Research.

- Cheaper data plans and ad-supported video, not the iPhone, are the keys, said Boris Fridman of Crisp Wireless, which delivers video to cell phones for big media companies.

- One of the big questions swirling around the iPhone -- right after "Will the touch screen get smudgy?" and "How much will AT&T charge for service?" -- is whether the device will be too slow for Web surfing and live video.

- Speed should not be an issue if you're within range of a Wi-Fi hot spot, for wireless broadband Internet access. For cellular data transfers, however, the iPhone uses AT&T's EDGE network -- slower than so-called "3G" networks that are state of the art.
All good stuff to note.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711